forum

How do you go from Hard to Insane?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
roby32
I can pass hard with S,A,B (sometimes SS) and on Insane maps I just fail.
How do you go from Hard to Insane?
-Makishima S-
By playing more and following star rating, FC everything on route and not giving a single fuck about pp.
Topic Starter
roby32

[Taiga] wrote:

By playing more and following star rating, FC everything on route and not giving a single fuck about pp.
Ok, thanks for the tip!
KanoSet

[Taiga] wrote:

+1
Athrun
In time, I slowly built up from hard maps to insane to extra.
BiscuitLover
What I did was to not give a damn about my acc and pp. After getting the hang of the difficulty, i decided to start playing seriously and get pp.
sellyme
Difficulty names are mostly meaningless, focus on star rating. There's 5 commonly used difficulty names (Easy, Normal, Hard, Insane, Extra), but over 700 star ratings (map difficulty ranges from 0.38 to 8.08, excluding TAG4). Going from a Hard to an Insane in one mapset could be as much as jumping from 3 stars to 5 stars, which is a huge difference.

If you want to find maps a bit harder than what you're currently playing, you can just search your maplist by typing "star>3.2" (or whatever star figure you're comfortable with), sorting by difficulty, and playing them one by one, each time moving to the next hardest.
chainpullz

sellyme wrote:

Difficulty names are mostly meaningless, focus on star rating. There's 5 commonly used difficulty names (Easy, Normal, Hard, Insane, Extra), but over 700 star ratings (map difficulty ranges from 0.38 to 8.08, excluding TAG4). Going from a Hard to an Insane in one mapset could be as much as jumping from 3 stars to 5 stars, which is a huge difference.

If you want to find maps a bit harder than what you're currently playing, you can just search your maplist by typing "star>3.2" (or whatever star figure you're comfortable with), sorting by difficulty, and playing them one by one, each time moving to the next hardest.
Star rating isn't much better in a lot of cases tbh. A realistic difficulty evaluation would require an element of subjectivity only possible provided the implementation of a learning algorithm and continued community feedback.
Yuudachi-kun
Or you could just play the fucking maps you have, notice what you can play well is around X stars, and ignore the outliers.
chainpullz

Khelly wrote:

notice what you can play well is around X stars

chainpullz wrote:

element of subjectivity
Yuudachi-kun

chainpullz wrote:

only possible provided the implementation of a learning algorithm and continued community feedback.
What the fuck is this then
chainpullz

Khelly wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

only possible provided the implementation of a learning algorithm and continued community feedback.
What the fuck is this then
What would be required for star rating to actually be accurate.
Yuudachi-kun
So why did you bold subjectivity if the sentence was around changing the star system
sellyme

chainpullz wrote:

sellyme wrote:

Star rating isn't much better in a lot of cases tbh. A realistic difficulty evaluation would require an element of subjectivity only possible provided the implementation of a learning algorithm and continued community feedback.
For rankable maps, star rating is a very good indicator of difficulty. The vast majority of 3.5* maps will be significantly harder to FC than the average 3* map.
chainpullz

sellyme wrote:

For rankable maps, star rating is a very good indicator of difficulty. The vast majority of 3.5* maps will be significantly harder to FC than the average 3* map.
There are a non-negligable number of outliers. Ie. most older maps are highly deflated in star rating. Most extremely high bpm maps are extremely deflated in star rating. Most extremely streamy maps are extremely deflated. Most reading maps as well.

Khelly wrote:

So why did you bold subjectivity if the sentence was around changing the star system
My sentence was not around changing the star system. It was 2-faced. First, it was to explain the main fault in the star system currently. Secondly, it was to explain why fixing this fault is non-trivial. You then literally repeated my first point as if to argue against my statement. Never did I say that it should be changed, just what it would require to actually address the issue.
sellyme

chainpullz wrote:

most older maps are highly deflated in star rating
I did say "rankable".
Yuudachi-kun

chainpullz wrote:

Khelly wrote:

My sentence was not around changing the star system. It was 2-faced. First, it was to explain the main fault in the star system currently. Secondly, it was to explain why fixing this fault is non-trivial. You then literally repeated my first point as if to argue against my statement. Never did I say that it should be changed, just what it would require to actually address the issue.
No matter how much I re-read it, your statement is still confusing and still seems to suggest changing the star system.

chainpullz wrote:

sellyme wrote:

There are a non-negligable number of outliers. Ie. most older maps are highly deflated in star rating. Most extremely high bpm maps are extremely deflated in star rating. Most extremely streamy maps are extremely deflated. Most reading maps as well.
That's because those maps aren't too terribly hard physically. I'll say that shotgun symphony, besides the cs7, isn't an actually physically hard map to play. It's just confusing.
chainpullz

Khelly wrote:

That's because those maps aren't too terribly hard physically. I'll say that shotgun symphony, besides the cs7, isn't an actually physically hard map to play. It's just confusing.
Tapping stamina, linear aim, ability to aim even in the presence of bad flow are all things common to old map low star diffs in comparison to maps today as well. You know all those maps that are ~5-6* ar8+DT maps that like only plays like WWW/Rustbell have fcs on?

If you strip off DT a lot of those maps are in the 3.2-4.5* range and make your average modern equivalent star map look like a joke in a similar way. They might not look like it to you now because you aren't a 20-50k rank shitter anymore so you actually have endless stamina and can aim bad/linear flow at that bpm but for players who have similar levels of aim and stamina to you after subtracting 70-100bpm these maps are a lot more difficult than star rating indicates.

You can go to an effort of making a large list of things to look for and avoid to determine "outliers" but in the end it would be long enough that people wouldn't read it (tbh people probably wouldn't read it even if all it said was "avoid maps that aren't 90% triangle jumps").

Usually over time people will learn some of these indicators but it's overwhelmingly obvious how much this affects people's perception of what a "good map" is because for most people "good map" ends up being "easy for it's star rating" and/or "so hard that it challenges top players but so far beyond the star rating I can play that it doesn't bother me that it's not necessarily easy for it's star rating."
I Give Up
I grew up on AR8 so I just searched "ar=8" and played any 4 star insane. That is probably quickest way to get insane by not changing your comfortable AR.
N0thingSpecial
First I was hard then I go insane when i feel like it, there's nothing to it
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

On topic when I got A on a few hard diff songs I went straight to insane maps and retry them 400 times and be satisfied with getting an A. Don't do the same thing as I did, progress slowly by FCing hard maps

Edit: nvm just go insane already
show more