forum

New to skinning

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
scrain8
Hello all,

I've been playing osu for a very long time but have never really dwelled into the realm of skinning or mapping. Therefore I've been always playing with the default skin and what the beatmaps had. After seeing a few streamers and their skins I've decided that I want to create my own skin. I'm thinking somewhat touhou related.

Is there anybody that can help me through this process. What skinners would you recommend to me? I am currently looking through the thread about the basics of skinning.

-Scrain8
Nekosuplays
I really have no idea how to download skins in Osu! :? :cry: Skinning is more complicated than mapping. Mapping is really easy just follow (hope this helps) :D :
1) Go to https://osu.ppy.sh (You should be logged in cause you won't download anything if you're not logged in, logic, right?)
2) You will see "Beatmap" on the top. Double click it.
3) You will see bunch of maps there. Try scrolling down, you might find what you want. If not, go search one.
4) Once you found a map you want, click it and you will see at the bottom left corner of your screen a huge button that says "Download Beatmap"
5) Click the button and wait for it to download.
6) After downloading, click it and it will automatically lead you to Osu! and go play it.

If instructions are not clear, please tell me, I might fix it. :D
OsuMe65

Nekosuplays wrote:

I really have no idea how to download skins in Osu! :? :cry: Skinning is more complicated than mapping. Mapping is really easy just follow (hope this helps) :D :
1) Go to https://osu.ppy.sh (You should be logged in cause you won't download anything if you're not logged in, logic, right?)
2) You will see "Beatmap" on the top. Double click it.
3) You will see bunch of maps there. Try scrolling down, you might find what you want. If not, go search one.
4) Once you found a map you want, click it and you will see at the bottom left corner of your screen a huge button that says "Download Beatmap"
5) Click the button and wait for it to download.
6) After downloading, click it and it will automatically lead you to Osu! and go play it.

If instructions are not clear, please tell me, I might fix it. :D
way too unrelated to mapping.

also Skinning is easier than mapping.
BDWZ

scrain8 wrote:

Hello all,

I've been playing osu for a very long time but have never really dwelled into the realm of skinning or mapping. Therefore I've been always playing with the default skin and what the beatmaps had. After seeing a few streamers and their skins I've decided that I want to create my own skin. I'm thinking somewhat touhou related.

Is there anybody that can help me through this process. What skinners would you recommend to me? I am currently looking through the thread about the basics of skinning.

-Scrain8
after you read all the information on that 'basics of skinning' thread, try create some elements.. also looking at this resource might help you later on.
if you got some kind of problem in the process, just ask a question as clear as possible right here, other skinners will help you eventually.
carnationturtle
What i found the most helpful is reading the skinning thread, and then experimenting on skins I downloaded previously.
Topic Starter
scrain8
Well i guess i should also mention that where do i get my content from? I just see other user's skins and I'm just like wonder where they get them.
Hatsue
You mean the pics, don't ya
If yes, from Google Pictures/Pinterest/Tumblr/idk or they make them by themselves.
Topic Starter
scrain8
I guess I'm just super worried about copyright and all those problems. Maybe I should tackle different parts of skinning one by one.
carnationturtle
You c an credit the authors of the images you used. And if you don't know who they are, just state that it's pending.

Also, you can make a mixed skin, which is taking parts of other user's skins and fusing it with your own original content. All you have to do is gain permission from the original maker, and you'll be fine.
Topic Starter
scrain8
True. At some point i want to create an original design (with already known content if that makes sense) but i cant draw or don't know anybody willing to make one for me.

So far i've changed the menu-background, the cursor, got rid of 300s and got rid of lighting and particles.
carnationturtle
I know what you mean. I can't draw very well, so I can't really help you with that. Your best best would be to check DeviantART to see if someone would illustrate things for free for you. Or you could just Google your own pictures >.>

Also, that's a step forward! I recently made my own skin, and yes, it really did take 4 hours to edit and put together. I'm still fixing things up for it. It's basically a trial and error process.

One other thing you could do is ask someone who already makes skins to help you out. I'm sure they would be willing to share their tips and tricks, and possibly even make some stuff for you.