forum

How to use a mechanical keyboard correctly ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
JavaScript God
Hai :)
I'm a normal osu player (not good not bad I guess) that like to have fun on the game and I recently changed my keyboard . I went from a normal black logitech low cost keyboard (like 15€) from a good mechanical keyboard 2 days ago (I took a corsair black-red keyboard with cherry mx red switches because people told me it's the best and I believe in people !) But since 2 days I don't know how to use it correctly .

The keyboard works great (even if it makes 50 times more sound , I believe it's normal) but I simply can't use it . I used to press my keys really really hard with my old keyboard but apparently this mechanical thing is made so you don't need to push the button to the end for it to register your tap ? Like I press it juuust a little and it still count the key . I suppose if you wanna use it correctly you must not press the key until it hit the bottom but I can't do that , I tried but when the beatmap go faster it makes me press harder and harder (that is supposed to make me lose speed but I get speed from it somehow)

So I got a couple questions about how to use it :
Do I have to train harder so my keys don't touch the bottom ?
Should my wrist rest on my desktop while I play ? Or is it better to have the wrist (or even the whole arm) "mid air" ?
Is it better (for speed) to move only fingers or move the whole wrist ? (I heared moving the wrist is dangerous because you have to make it shake to tap fast and it can cause some damage)

Also a last thing : I tried both and I don't know what to choose between singletap and doubletap for stream OR alternate fingers for almost all hit
Feels like singletap is ways more precise but when I singletap a lot when it comes to stream my second finger is way less "powerfull"
I suppose a lot of you are gonna tell me "You should take the wrist stance you're the more comfortable with and also play as you like it the most" but I really have trouble to find a wrist stance and I can't choose between singletap and alternate (the ideal would be the singletap but my secondary finger weakness ruin it all)

Thanks for reading the whole thing (if you did) and I hope you have some answer for me :) (and sorry for all the grammar mistake and stuff :( )
Mahogany
1) No. It doesn't matter whether your bottom out or not to the keyboard receiving input. Being able to lightly tap is a technique not necessary until you're a very advanced player

2) It doesn't matter

3) You can go above your natural speed limit if you seriously work your wrist hard, but your stamina will be shit and it won't matter in the end so just do whatever you're comfortable with

4) If you can alternate, great. If not, singletap. Or, you can just switch which finger you're using to singletap every combo, like I do.
Yuudachi-kun

Mahogany wrote:

1) No. It doesn't matter whether your bottom out or not to the keyboard receiving input. Being able to lightly tap is a technique not necessary

3) You can go above your natural speed limit if you seriously work your arm hard, but your stamina will be shit and it won't matter in the end so just do whatever you're comfortable with
ftfy
Mahogany
But I need to lightly tap to stream and that's why I can't stream because I can't lightly tap 90% of the time :(
Topic Starter
JavaScript God
Did you reached 4400 PP without streaming ? Thats impressive xD
Mahogany
All of my top ranks have very light or no streaming so yeah

But I can't progress any further because there aren't enough maps without streams D:
Topic Starter
JavaScript God
Btw what do you mean by you can singletap and switch finger for every combo ?
Mahogany
I only tap notes with one finger, then when I get to a slider or something, I switch to only tapping with my other finger

It gives you nearly the stamina of alternating and is way less difficult to learn

You can fuck up if you're not able to easily convert into triples and streams from your off-finger, though.
Endie-
Press your keys all the way down. There is no need to make things more difficult than they already are
Stefan
Moved, please do only post non-related osu! stuff in GD.
I Give Up

Khelly wrote:

Mahogany wrote:

1) No. It doesn't matter whether your bottom out or not to the keyboard receiving input. Being able to lightly tap is a technique not necessary

3) You can go above your natural speed limit if you seriously work your arm hard, but your stamina will be shit and it won't matter in the end so just do whatever you're comfortable with
ftfy
you broke that for him.
KanoSet
Do I have to train harder so my keys don't touch the bottom ?
it would be better for speed and stamina.. but you don't have.. just tap

Should my wrist rest on my desktop while I play ?
pick the less tiring way.. cuz it doesn't matter

single tap or alternate?
both are good.. do what feels more natural

you worry too much.. you think too much.. you trust ppl so much

KukiMonster wrote:

Don't think. Push Buttons, Believe
play more to git gud and enjoy game pls
Deva

Mahogany wrote:

But I can't progress any further because there aren't enough maps without streams D:
Why dont you just learn to stream then? :o
Sayorie
It doesn't matter how you use your keyboard, whether you want to bottom-out your clicks or just "wind-walk" your fingers over the keys; what matters is how you adjust the timing of your clicks with your new keyboard. You can have whatever wrist position or play style you want, really. Some other factors I failed to mention might be beneficial, but those are simply incremental.

The actuation point of your mechanical keyboard right now, is much higher than your old keyboard before. This means that your presses register earlier that what you're used to. Play more with your new keyboard. Congratulations, welcome to the mechanical keyboard master race.

Basically, you just have to get used to your new keyboard. You'll just learn it on your own, like almost all of us did with our keyboards.
Mahogany

HK_ wrote:

Mahogany wrote:

Why dont you just learn to stream then? :o
6 months of trying I'm no better than when I started
I Give Up
There are enough singletap maps to get at least 6k pp.
Deva

Mahogany wrote:

Youre obviously doing something wrong.
pls fix
KanoSet

Mahogany wrote:

i perfectly understand this *cries*
The Gambler
Make like geckogates and use a metal plate with wire.
Synpoo

KukiMonster wrote:

you broke that for him.
no??? hes actually right for once

you need to tense your whole arm to go faster, and bottoming out is irrelevant for like 99.9% of players
Yuudachi-kun

Synpoo wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

you broke that for him.
no??? hes actually right for once

you need to tense your whole arm to go faster, and bottoming out is irrelevant for like 99.9% of players
I play the DT. Real DT. Not that shitty slow 210 bpm od8 DT crap anyone can do.
I Give Up
Tap hard to go faster. Tap softly if you want to stream.
Topic Starter
JavaScript God
I feel like i'm stuck and I can play as much as I want I won't improve . I feel like i'm doing something wrong lol :cry:
Endie-
Playcount: 7k
play more
Topic Starter
JavaScript God
I wish i could
Korls
I press too hard :(