forum

Linux General Topic

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-
Even if existed in the past, i don't feel like necroposting and reviving it, in past year a lot changed. How many penguins i find here to chitchat about our beloved system? Share your experience, doubts, interesting things, screens, conky setups ;] etc.

I personally cannot decide and jump constantly between Deb 8.3/Gnome and Mint 17/Cinnamon, both are great, both are pretty much working well on my Lenovo G570 (i love tons of problems with fglrx on AMD/Intel hybrid, especialy Deb makes me rage a lot in positive way somehow) but one have something what i miss in another. Yea, i am too lazy to actually get both together and maybe compile package manager from mint into deb etc. Fuck it.

I still don't have conky setup, gib some interesting, /me too bad to make one.

About eh:

So far i didn't found much win apps what i couldn't run on linux. Osu works very well, i don't have ANY input lag, i am not left with shitty looking win7 to avoid it and i can still enjoy Gnome3 / Cinnamon fully animated desktop. Other games like CSGO works via steam, office is just another bad thing from m$ - libre doing same shit and it's free, somehow some games (Tomb Raider, DOTA2, EVE) works faster and more stable while on linux.

50gb side partition for windows 7 and GRUB fixes problem with "but i need windows for [xxx]". Honestly, setting up NTFS data partition and mounting it in linux as for example /usr/data, symlink it to home directory fixes problem of sharing files between this 2 systems.

Do i find any Arch/Gentoo user here so i could get some toughs?
The Gambler
Idk much about Linux except for the fact I've played a little bit with them using virtual machines. Which would be Mint 17 as well. So far I like the UI, but it's like the blank paper scenario afterwards.

What the hell do I do now?
IppE

Linux on a desktop is still sadly a meme.
A Medic
I only use kali for CTF's and occasional comps / work.

Other than that I kinda like mint since it's sorta like windows 7.

I prefer windows though.
IppE
Posting essentials to all GNU/Memex threads.

weihe123
Welp, I used to use Ubuntu 14.04. It was fun to toy around with. Once I toyed so hard, I accidentally uninstalled Unity when i was clearing up my Linux drive to make room for CSGO. CSGO was glitchy, though... Good times ^^
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-
Smashed Mint with hammer, unfortunately he didn't survived.

God save me - i got convinced to try Arch Linux. I am curious how long will take to make it work.
If any Arch User - Gnome / Cinnamon or Awesome WM?

Checked Awesome GUI look in web... it's... weird.
weihe123
I'll check it out, Archlinux. I've been wanting to for a while... But I don't want to mess up my new PC by having Grub as the new boot loader XD it feels too new an I'm not willing to give up just booting into Windows (Time for a VM... Anyone have any good ones?)
IppE

[Taiga] wrote:

Smashed Mint with hammer, unfortunately he didn't survived.

God save me - i got convinced to try Arch Linux. I am curious how long will take to make it work.
If any Arch User - Gnome / Cinnamon or Awesome WM?

Checked Awesome GUI look in web... it's... weird.
Who in their right mind would want to use gnome?
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-
Who in their right mind would want to use gnome?
In times of Deb Sarge when i was in first university, everyone was using Gnome and shitting on everything else, at least in my nerd class so it somehow left like this for me.
I will try Awesome WM with Arch tho, terminator style CLI makes me somehow "wet".

it feels too new an I'm not willing to give up just booting into Windows
I think if you make USB Installer with whatever distro of you version you can reinstall MBR with Installation Recovery Tools.
About VM, either VirtualBox or if you realy dont like Oracle for some reason, VMWare Player for non-commercial use, it's free. Both works on Linux and Windows (but i find linux vmware a bit shitty, too many crashes while trying to install guest additions).

===

edit: As much as i like CLI installation and DIY mode, i am one more time stuck with my shitty ass fuck AMD/Intel Hybrid GPU. I remember fighting with it over fglrx in debian, here is even more poetry becouse xf86-video-ati is just crap.... oh well, here my journey in Arch starts.

First steps done, now just deal with addons and i3 / awm.
My installation way: https://github.com/CLTaiga/ArchInstallSteps
So far so good works well. I am against gnome-extra package, too many bullshit useless apps there, better install what you need one by one.
jyling
i use kali-linux just playing around, testing my networks security,hack my own phone just to see what will happen to my poor phone :lol:
SoYeahSo
Showing off my super cheap modded setup of side-by-side Backbox and Weakerth4n, plus a kobo e-reader hacked to run gingerbread.

abraker
I've tried Ubuntu before when my Windows computer finally kicked the bucket. Lived on it for some half year, never really gotton into it. Maybe someday
bigfeh
On desktops, Windows == osx > linux. For servers, linux is second to none.

As far as distros are concerned, if you don't start off from Debian, chances are you dun goofed up (looking at you, ubuntu)

Also as a developer, the gnu gpl is literally the scum of the earth. There's a reason everyone avoids it like the plague.
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-
Windows is fine for people who don't search for too much customization, want something what works straight away from box and just want to play games / office / web. Honestly as far as i like future-like looks, w10 looks nice, works like shit. That's so far main issue what i find in microsoft products - it's hard to get into advanced customization and changes of GUI / ceratin apps. W7 is fine for me.

OS X is big no no no. I am "this one" generic Apple hater and i could instantly burn them all without even checking excuses for using this shit - yes i am typical nazi against apple due bullshit rules of using their app (not allowed to put GPLv3 licensed software in store? srsly? what the fuck is this bullshit?).
Not mention "Apple" phones without removable battery 4Head, someone switched dick with brain while developing this xD

About Linux, i am not this one who shout everywhere "noob using ubuntu, go use gentoo/arch/debian", who cares, it's all about getting into this system and as i love to frequently change my distro on notebook to do tests (and as far as NVidia/Intel is perfectly supported i find doing test on AMD/Intel platform more relevant due big problems with support of hybrid GPU), i could right now tell every new user to check for Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon/MATE or Ubuntu 15.10, they are really great and nicely customized OS to start with and with really small amount of knowledge you can run most of windows apps on them by using WINE.

I could say for desktop: Windows = Linux >>>>>>>>> OS X.
For server: Linux > BSD

@Edit: March is for me month of Fedora so if you want, expect long story short information of how it works and what kind of compatibility we get in F23 KDE Plasma5.
bigfeh

[Taiga] wrote:

Windows is fine for people who don't search for too much customization, want something what works straight away from box and just want to play games / office / web. Honestly as far as i like future-like looks, w10 looks nice, works like shit. That's so far main issue what i find in microsoft products - it's hard to get into advanced customization and changes of GUI / ceratin apps. W7 is fine for me.
Haven't used w10 yet but I reckon it's not worse than w7, and windows is customizable if you know what you're doing (as is the case with Linux and OSX)

[Taiga] wrote:

OS X is big no no no. I am "this one" generic Apple hater and i could instantly burn them all without even checking excuses for using this shit - yes i am typical nazi against apple due bullshit rules of using their app (not allowed to put GPLv3 licensed software in store? srsly? what the fuck is this bullshit?).
Not mention "Apple" phones without removable battery 4Head, someone switched dick with brain while developing this xD
The apple ecosystem is second to none when it comes to the user experience. It's consistent throughout and over different platforms and devices, it's well thought out, it's efficient, it's well integrated, it feels refined and it Just Works™. Apple is restrictive in many things and I feel it in my skin as a mobile developer who mostly works with iOS, but it makes for mostly quality applications in a quality App Store (unlike pretty much any other store for any other platform).

Disallowing GPLv3 licensed software in store is a move that probably had a finger (or a hand (or an arm)) from the guys over at the legal department, because as I've already said it,

bigfeh wrote:

the gnu gpl is literally the scum of the earth. There's a reason everyone avoids it like the plague.
If you're unfamiliar with the license, it's a free software license that shoves itself down everyone else's throat. Any works licensed under the GPL cannot be sublicensed or redistributed under a more restrictive license (read: any fucking thing else):
5. Conveying Modified Source Versions.
[...]
b) The work must carry prominent notices stating that it is released under this License and any conditions added under section 7. This requirement modifies the requirement in section 4 to “keep intact all notices”.
c) You must license the entire work, as a whole, under this License to anyone who comes into possession of a copy. This License will therefore apply, along with any applicable section 7 additional terms, to the whole of the work, and all its parts, regardless of how they are packaged. This License gives no permission to license the work in any other way, but it does not invalidate such permission if you have separately received it.
[...]
I was getting snippets from it but then it occurred to me that all of it is fucking terrible and I'd end up pasting the whole license anyways. Go read it - but only if you have a strong stomach. You'll need it.

@edit: do you guys realize how scary c) is? It literally forces itself on the whole package. It's avoided like the plague because it spreads like the plague.

[Taiga] wrote:

About Linux, i am not this one who shout everywhere "noob using ubuntu, go use gentoo/arch/debian", who cares, it's all about getting into this system and as i love to frequently change my distro on notebook to do tests (and as far as NVidia/Intel is perfectly supported i find doing test on AMD/Intel platform more relevant due big problems with support of hybrid GPU), i could right now tell every new user to check for Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon/MATE or Ubuntu 15.10, they are really great and nicely customized OS to start with and with really small amount of knowledge you can run most of windows apps on them by using WINE.

I could say for desktop: Windows = Linux >>>>>>>>> OS X.
For server: Linux > BSD

@Edit: March is for me month of Fedora so if you want, expect long story short information of how it works and what kind of compatibility we get in F23 KDE Plasma5.
Windows takes a dump on Linux, graphics performance-wise, any day. That's not even in question. Everything is supported on Windows, because everyone runs Windows and, to be honest, nobody really cares about Linux anyways. The ones who do are either linux devs or gpl supporters. Or both. Because I guess those groups overlap quite a bit.

Please if you're getting started with Linux just go with Debian instead. Mint and Ubuntu are just bad, look bad, and I don't wanna get involved in the distro wars but they just in general kinda suck. Debian >

The fact that wine runs like shit (when it does) is also noteworthy. Don't get me wrong, guys - it's an incredible piece of software and an amazing feat by the devs, but at the end emulation is still emulation, emulation still runs slow and glitchy and most of the time it doesn't even work right. Yes, I know WINE used to be an acronym for "Wine is not an emulator", but at this point, just piss off. It's a "compatibility layer", which basically means, at a technical level, that it's kind of a translator. But nobody really cares, because it still runs slow, glitchy, and most of the time doesn't even work right.

Back on OSX: there's a reason apple charges a premium on hardware: it's because of the software. OSX is the superior OS. Get over it. Get over yourselves.
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-

bigfeh wrote:

windows is customizable if you know what you're doing (as is the case with Linux and OSX)
Risk vs reward in this customization is not worth time and effort of doing this. Additionaly window is way mroe fragile than linux. As far as i know changing explorer GUI require changes in kernel files which already creates posibility to completly fuckup it. Linux have this issue fixed by making practicaly every single GUI customizable by themes / config files without any changes in critical system files.

bigfeh wrote:

Apple is restrictive in many things and I feel it in my skin as a mobile developer who mostly works with iOS, but it makes for mostly quality applications in a quality App Store (unlike pretty much any other store for any other platform).
That's what i hate in Apple - they are too picky, too restrictive over many things. Oh well, even if OS X will someday support linux and windows apps, it will be still blacklisted for me becouse of.... Apple. Only this thing keeps me away from this. I cannot change this, i don't even care to change my opinion about this company.

bigfeh wrote:

Windows takes a dump on Linux, graphics performance-wise, any day. That's not even in question. Everything is supported on Windows, because everyone runs Windows and, to be honest, nobody really cares about Linux anyways. The ones who do are either linux devs or gpl supporters. Or both. Because I guess those groups overlap quite a bit.
It's in my opinion mentality - i grow up on using first DOS, then W95 then moved to RH (it was like 2.0 or 3.0, don't remember) and to this day i was always prioritizing linux over windows. This doesn't actualy holds me from using Windows, i have W7 as second OS on desktop for newest games what doesn't have port to linux. For older games / apps - all depends on what you need and what's your purpose for using computer. It will not be a lie if i say that around 70% apps from windows have their perfectly working linux versions equivalent or working port over WINE platform. This 30% are apps for companies and goverment which doesn't realy run on linux which at this point makes windows higer in usage list.
For normal user who just watch movies, listen music, use internet and occasionaly play games - linux is perfect since there is countless proofs that it works way faster than windows, takes way less resources and doesn't force anything to user. Not mention majority of internet malicious phising/keyloging software injecting to computer via visiting "wrong sites" is made for windows, not linux.

bigfeh wrote:

Please if you're getting started with Linux just go with Debian instead. Mint and Ubuntu are just bad, look bad, and I don't wanna get involved in the distro wars but they just in general kinda suck. Debian >
Ubuntu lost many fans for Mint due moving with version 10.x into Unity GUI (which till this day is kinda shitty).
Mint is perfect starting OS for newbies due being "all-in-one" ready to use out of box. Long story short - Linux Mint is distro based on Ubuntu but it's something what Ubuntu always want to be - fully customized, prepared for not experienced user system, very newbie friendly and way more stable than Ubuntu. From last 2 years Mint is considered as top rank system, Debian is second since unfortunely, for debian you need some knowledge about configuration files and packages.

Actualy for someone who already learned something and experienced a bit of "linux nerding" in beginner distro like Mint or Ubuntu, i would say - go for debian or right away into deep water - Arch or Gentoo. My Arch experience is waaaay better than i have on debian. Amount of work needed to put into system versus reward for it is just ridiculus - read as "how much you work on your DIY system, that good it will work and look". Today i moved into KDE Plasma 5.5.4 and honestly - i wish, i realy wish windows could look like that, this is just beautyfull and works faster without GPU acceleration turned on (top kek microsoft?).

bigfeh wrote:

Back on OSX: there's a reason apple charges a premium on hardware: it's because of the software. OSX is the superior OS. Get over it. Get over yourselves.
OS X will never stand near good linux distro like Debian / Arch. Never. It's just "wanna be linux" based on BSD... more like fake BSD with polished GUI xD. There is a reason why many people buy "apple" hardware and instantly trash osx for linux distro - hardware compatibility is good, system works way better, it's free, fully supported and producer doesn't force you to buy same software for each computer - like one guy was crying on irc why he cannot use already bought app on one mac in another one and need to buy it one more time (top kek apple xD).