forum

Poll 29: What kind of sound-sets do you play with?

posted
Total Posts

How do you feel about custom/skin hitsounds?

I prefer the default sound-set (Leaving map-specific hit-souding alone)
17.23%
I use the default sound-set overriding custom map hit-sounds.
4.03%
I like to override all hit-sounds with custom ones, including map-specific ones.
30.87%
I leave map-specific hit-sounding alone, but I override the default with custom ones.
42.06%
I play without hit-sounds.
5.82%
Total votes: 447
Polling ended
show more
Lust
Default soundset all the way homies
fartownik
Override everything unless: 1. The map is keysounded, 2. It uses some kind of hitsound too frequently (i.e. hitfinish) and it sounds awful with my own hitsounds, 3. I just want to listen to the map's hitsounds for testing purposes.
UndeadCapulet
Hitsound volume at 0, I just want to listen to the songs.
Akasha-
sample hitsound, it helps you do keysound and fast hitsound
-Mo-
Ideally, I would like to be able to always override normal-hitnormal, soft-hitnormal, and drum-hitnormal and not have to override map specific custom hitsounds with the defaults.

I could set my skin to only have those aforementioned hitsounds, but it breaks when I play a map that uses custom hitnormals.
Ciyus Miapah
enjoy the map and the song itself, my HS volume almost below 20% almost no Hitsounds there.
well no Hitsounds is best Options for me.

but when i map something i always put default hitsound or maybe put custom hitsound on it

well at overall Default hitsounds is not bad at all
PyaKura
Wow surprising that actually 50% of the players who have voted so far overrides the default HS but keep the map-specific ones. Not that I am not one of them though, just rather astonished.
xxdeathx
picked the most popular option. i hate the default sounds but i give map specific hitsounds a chance
Constantine
mostly playing on 0% hitsound volume unless i want to play with defaults / custom hitsounds in the map

only custom whistles, i like the older version more than the newer one
Rilene
I can play with any sound sets but I prefer to hitsound notes with default sets while mapping.
Praw
I always play the first playthrough with the map's hitsounds, and if they're too quiet without clear percussion in the song, I'll override with my customs to stay accurate. (I have effect volume on 100%)
Krimek
Hitsounds give me a better feeling for hitting objects right to the music/rythm. Also I mostlikely enjoy the effort mappers put into hitsounding.
Arcubin
who the fuck is care to hitsound btw

i prefer default one. but for "hit" sound, i overrides them with mine
HappyRocket88
Sometimes the hitsounds of the map aren't suitable for the song, so i prefer the ones i'm used with my skin. xd
Mao
Hitsounding is a great part of mapping and if I would override them or the default ones I would destroy that part for me to enjoy \o/
Okoratu

Lust wrote:

Seijiro

Okoratu wrote:

Lust wrote:

DarthBrainus
I don't use mechanical keyboard, so the only way to get some sort of feedback - override all default/map hitsounds with loud and clear clicks. Without this i usually pass maps on 80-90% acc. instead of 98-100%.
lcfc
I override all sounds with custom ones, fitting or not with the song. It's hard for me to get used to other hitsounds... so I just stay with one sampleset.
nyathil
I replace the default hitsounds with custom ones, but I leave beatmap hitsounds alone, along with having beatmap hitsounds enabled. But, when it comes to interface sounds; thanks to csYmix in the newest CE build, the high quality of them made me leave all custom ones behind.
Garven
Default is the only way to go here. It's half of the map experience, really.
Irreversible
Default for sure, I think this mostly goes for mappers doesn't it?

Only thing that I sometimes overwrite are stream maps which are hitsounded with "soft-hitnormal" mostly, I just don't get enough feedback from it.
BeatofIke

Lust wrote:

This. I'm a raw player/mapper and I use all default hitsounds. The way the mapset is intended to the played ^-^
Spytes
I override all hitsounds with a silent wav file except the miss and sliderbreak sound. I have a mechanical keyboard so I don't need any more sound feedback.
JBHyperion
I'll replace defaults (mostly because I find normal-whistle annoying as hell) but always leave map-specific hitsounds as they are. They're part of the "vision" the mapper had whilst making the set and showcase how the map is meant to sound/feel.

Apologies to anyone who hitsounds with default normal whistles :P
A Mystery

Mao wrote:

Hitsounding is a great part of mapping and if I would override them or the default ones I would destroy that part for me to enjoy \o/
I agree with this

When I create a beatmap I make sure hitsounds still sound "alright" when people disable them (so like, not using hitfinish for some basskick I use 3-4 times every measure, because that would sound terrible with default sounds). However, sometimes this is inevitable without having to use 2000 inherited points in the editor (for that I blame the editor itself, because the hitsound options are quite limited).

I like using hitsounds the beatmap creator intended. However, I do sometimes remove the hitnormal wavs from a beatmap folder if the feedback from those hitsounds is just bad (or really soft). That way I will just be missing that hitsound, instead of having to disable them all.
I don't really like the standard hitsounds of osu! The hitnormal of the normal sample set can be really disturbing and loud, and I think it would serve better as the currently used "clap" sound. Also, let's not forget about the infamous whistles. The soft set one is really nice but the normal one...not so much
quaternary
I use the default hitsounds because I like how they sound, haven't found anything else I like more, and they're accurate enough for me. I think they are way too loud by default though! I normally play on 50% hitsound volume.

This makes the new CE menu sounds way too quiet, which is a bummer because I like them a lot.
DakeDekaane

Lust wrote:

Except for Taiko, I use custom ones regardless of map customs (unless they are awesome, they're rare anyway). But as I mainly play Taiko... oops?
Topic Starter
Nyquill
With Taiko, it is almost a given that you would override hitsounds because of the existence of actually proper Taiko hitsounds haha.
Soby
I like the default ones, playing on osu!std mainly.
Kyrari
Custom hitsounds > Default hitsounds

Though I always like to hear what the mapper puts as the hitsounds, like what someone else said

JBHyperion wrote:

They're part of the "vision" the mapper had whilst making the set and showcase how the map is meant to sound/feel.
Pituophis
Voted wrong. I use custom hitsounds and map specific hitsounds.
Topic Starter
Nyquill
Woah, almost forgot February was a short month. Thanks to everyone who participated!