forum

Need tips to improve finger speed

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bakadere
So, I seem to be making posts like this far too often. Anyways, the whole "play more" and "do stream compilations" thing doesn't/hasn't seemed to work for me at all. I've never been good at anything with my left hand, especially speed and my fingers have little independence. Practicing streams for a month has done nothing for my speed at all and is the sole thing holding me back at this point. I've become so frustrated with it that I even tried using my tablet in my left hand so I could stream 250 bpm+ with my right hand, but being right handed it failed horribly. Giving up constantly seems like a great option as I'm completely out of ideas. Anyone who can help me improve this (assuming the making my left hand faster is physically possible) will become my god.
Thanks!
ZenithPhantasm
You're at 1.2k pp lol. Learn how to stream properly first before you go fast.
Intelli

-[Akira]- wrote:

Anyways, the whole "play more" and "do stream compilations" thing doesn't/hasn't seemed to work for me at all.

Well i guess if all he plays are stream maps that are fc/passable for his level of play then-

(All the Highscores) - Jump maps
Perfect World - Normal diff?
Toumei Elegy - Not a single 1/4 division other than repeat sliders
Koi Yuki - There's a couple of very very low bpm streams, but they're only like 5 notes
Big Black - This is not the map for someone at 1.2k pp
Pre-Parade - EASY DIFF
7 -seven- - This is acceptable, but not as a "stream practice map" really
Cold Green - Again, far too hard for 1.2k pp
Pre-Parade again - 0 streamssssss
Wish Upon Twin Stars - Acceptable, but still way on the hard side
Stella-rium - Same as Wish, but less acceptable because its not even that stream heavy
Tear Rain - Normal diff?

Try maps like this if you wanna learn how to stream better. It's easy enough for your level, has TONS of streams, it's slow, and it functions well on DT.

CASE CLOSED
Topic Starter
bakadere

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

You're at 1.2k pp lol. Learn how to stream properly first before you go fast.
I can stream low BPM fine, I'll get a few 100's here and there at 140 but I'm fairly accurate.
Topic Starter
bakadere

IntelliTroodon wrote:

-[Akira]- wrote:

Anyways, the whole "play more" and "do stream compilations" thing doesn't/hasn't seemed to work for me at all.
Well i guess if all he plays are stream maps that are fc/passable for his level of play then-
Try maps like this if you wanna learn how to stream better. It's easy enough for your level, has TONS of streams, it's slow, and it functions well on DT.

CASE CLOSED
You do realize that stream compilations are unranked right? Stream practice maps don't get ranked because thats all they're for, practice. I probably have 300 plays in those kinds of maps. Anyway, yes, some of the maps on there are too hard for my level of play. Things like Cold Green aren't that hard though, I could probably FC it if I tried hard enough. Im hyper good at jumps, and high bpm tapping. Despite not having the best acc, its very do-able.
Topic Starter
bakadere
Also, for the record. The reason I have so many plays on Perfect World - Normal is because me and my friend were trying to get on the leaderboard for it back when we were 300k ish. Im ranked 23 on it lol

EDIT: All the Normal/Hard/Easy Difficulties on my most played were all when I was between 700k and 300k. I get bored of playing the same songs over and over now.
shortpotato
dont ask for advice if ur going to reject it
Topic Starter
bakadere

shortpotato wrote:

I'm just trying to say that I've done/tried it already. Hence why I'm looking for other methods as to grinding stream maps.
shortpotato

-[Akira]- wrote:

shortpotato wrote:

I'm just trying to say that I've done/tried it already. Hence why I'm looking for other methods as to grinding stream maps.
the only way to improve ur finger speed is to be playing high hpm/ grinding stream maps a LOT. there's no easy way out

newsflash, don't be so naive and realise that it takes a lot of hard work to get good at anything
Deva
I have like 3x more hits just on streams than your total hits and im still bad with streaming. Dont think you have tried hard after playing some random stream map once.
Kunino Sagiri
step 1: tap your K1 button using your index finger
step 2: tap your K2 button using your middle finger

you've now learned how to improve finger speed!
Sayorie
Improvement rate varies from person to person. Don't expect yourself to improve as fast as how you think you should.
Reminder that frustration is essentially good for improvement. Everyone struggles to improve along the way, but eventually reaches their goal. Play more.
#Preach
-Makishima S-
Reminder that frustration is essentially good for improvement.
In my opinion, frustration actually puts you on stopping stage if not getting you behind. While playing for improvement you should focus strongly on your skillset which means - reading, aim, acc, speed and completely put away urge for gaining ranks and PP. Frustration is a bad leader, it makes you stop thinking in right way while slowly rising your annoyment and nerves. Playing while being calm, silent and thinking about that's important now gives way better feedback later on than forcing something to the edge and making mistakes. It's life theory which works for games like that.

TL;DR: If you get frustrated because something is going wrong, you should stop playing immediately.

Of course this will not work for everyone but should for majority of people who can sacrifice a lot of time spent in same range for being prepared to go higher.

Very slow improvement isn't something to feel bad about as far as you are improving and can utilize skills while slowly going up.
If someone say to you that "hey, you are shit because you have x milion hits and only y pp" - you can cleary tell him that he is retarded and should shut up + ignore him forever.
DeletedUser_3516943
Hi! Here's a answer.
Try playing some stream practice maps.
I'm not very good at them, but I can D Shinsekai at least.
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/137124&m=0
Its harder if you are used to streams at a certain speed, as when you play the slower maps you have to go slower.
Good Luck! :D
N0thingSpecial

collin5du wrote:

Hi! Here's a answer.
I'm not very good at them, but I can D Shinsekai at least.
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/137124&m=0
Its harder if you are used to streams at a certain speed, as when you play the slower maps you have to go slower.
Good Luck! :D
those doesn't really help that much, just go play a proper stream map lol
-Makishima S-
Um no... no... no... no...
Worst idea ever, holy stop pls.
Stream practice maps are good only when you actualy know how to aim streams and need to improve stamina since you don't need to aim this streams at all (except deathstream compilation which is NOT for beginners).
Normal streams in maps require proper aiming which this maps don't give you at all.
You will end up over/understreaming massively in normal maps after tons of this maps.
Surono
I think fast tapping is work then using more energy, and also depend on quality equipments.. except high bpm ( not normal bpm and need power lol )
gamestonk
What you need to do is play maps that are just a little bit harder than what you're comfortable with. Keep doing this until your finger speed improves.

Honestly, as someone that hates the "play more" responses / doesn't like this forum because of how many people just respond with that -- that's literally the only answer here. It's the same with people that want to stream better. As you play maps that are harder, they will (normally) be naturally faster than previous maps, and will make you get better over time. The same goes with streaming to a degree. I couldn't still can't stream very well at all, but I remember when I was back at your rank and couldn't handle super short streams that a lot of songs at my current difficulty has.

The only thing I can recommend is to use Tillerino while being cautious about the potential DT spam it may throw at you. Some people may not like tillerino, but I really do think it helped me.
Sayorie

[Taiga] wrote:

In my opinion, frustration actually puts you on stopping stage if not getting you behind.
Frustration is a sign that you're doing things wrong, or you're not good enough yet. The strive to improve comes from the feeling of wanting to achieve something that you currently still can't. Of course you have to take a break when we get frustrated, but it does not really stop us from playing more. It is simply a means, to clearly state my context. :)
PLAYER WITH RSI
genetics
Mizakux3
Unless you plan on aiming for a certain rank you should probably just play for fun and in time skills like streaming and jumping will develop, after awhile you'll hit an actual wall where you're going to have to practice specific things like speed, space streams, etc. But to actually answer your question, this is how i became able to stream high bpm / death streams. For a few days in a row I would play stream maps until my fingers got tired to the point they would just hurt (Like lifting weights) And then rest afterwards (Preferably sleep, if not relax) after a few days I wasn't instantly better at streaming but I was able to have the speed to keep up with faster maps and also have the stamina.
ZenithPhantasm

GlennCampbell wrote:

genetics
^
This. Speed is neurological
vsprite
play more
I Give Up
Get accuracy first. You can't improve speed if you can't even acc any bpm yet. It like trying to improve at painting without first learning how to hold a brush dude.
Deva

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

GlennCampbell wrote:

genetics
^
This. Speed is neurological
i lol'd
vsprite
stream speed is decided on the anatomical structure of your extensor indicis. This is why all koreans can instantly stream 250bpm+.

tl;dr you failed by not being korean
ZenithPhantasm
So you could shorten/strengthen the muscle with surgery. Speed is also neurological. Nerves determine whether u have fast twitch or slow twitch
Saphirshroom
As proven by John Titor, your finger speed and your whole osu! skill is already predetermined. If you want to escape this determinism, you must switch attractor fields.
shortpotato
cut open ur arm and move the nerves around
Yuudachi-kun

KukiMonster wrote:

Get accuracy first. You can't improve speed if you can't even acc any bpm yet. It like trying to improve at painting without first learning how to hold a brush dude.

I somehow did not do this
DeathHydra

Khelly wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

It's ok you're not the only one
Yuudachi-kun
good thing 240 bpm is ez to acc sometimes right
Sayorie
I can't even play <120BPM
I Give Up

Khelly wrote:

98% OD9 is ok dude.
Yuudachi-kun

KukiMonster wrote:

Khelly wrote:

98% OD9 is ok dude.
The 98%+ fcs you see on my top 100 are NOT representative of my acc as I can retry those maps many times and the small few that are able to be acc'd by me are more likely to gain me pp, thus appearing more often on my top 100 list.

This is more like it:

I Give Up
bpm too low.
Yuudachi-kun
If it was 180 I would've agreed with you.
silento
If you want to learn streaming, you have to progress into it. Speed is something you really have to want in order to achieve as well as the one that requires the most effort to make a change in.

Start with getting comfortable with a bpm. Then play maps that up the tapping component by throwing in triples and stacks. Then you finally play some streamy maps.
Topic Starter
bakadere
WOAH, okay. So I just read over these 2.5 pages of new replies. I like a lot of the answers im getting and to those of you who explained how to get into it and actually practice, thank you! Thats a lot of what ive been looking for! Ill try this stuff out for a few months and see how it goes. Already feel im gonna get better, I just always get frustrated with being slow because naturally I progress really fast with most games I play so the sudden pace change makes me feel like im super slow and suck. Which I do but whatever lol. Thanks guys! (And girls)
show more