forum

osu! players' hand pains & breaks topic.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Florrow
I decided to make this since i have taken a few breaks cause of hand pains and playing too much without pains.
So i thought it may be a good idea for other players to share their experience and also give out some tips to other players aswell.
Below i'll link you some exercieses i do every hour of osu gameplay to keep me playing all day without having pains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUyMNyrOHJQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiRC80FJbHU

I do these for like 3-4 minutes and then take a 5 minutes break every hour and im fine most cases.
When i play too much then i just get hand pains next day and i gotta take a little break ;D

My breaks' log:

28/09/2015 - Took a break cause my hands weren't as strong as they were before and i had lots of pains during days and not only osu plays (1 day). After the break im mostly fine, will update tomorrow ;D

Tell me what you think about this thread, i just had an idea and i thought of sharing.
Imma go sleep now, midnight almost q-q
nights everyone.
Yuudachi-kun
I experienced hand pain one time and that was when I first had my tablet for the very first day. I never got hand pain again until recently when I started playing for 6 hours a day, but they're short lived and by that time I'm usually done playing.

I don't do any special exercises and I don't take breaks when I play.
Nabel_old_1
I experienced hand pain for the first time after khelly forced me to play dumb 255 bpm stream maps :(. Now I just hope it goes over.
KanoSet
i usually plays all day long but i don't get pain in my hands often
when i do it's becuz i take long breaks aka month or two then just start spaming songs for 10 hours so my hands get to work again
it dissappear the folowing day tho
Yuudachi-kun
That's supposed to hurt your arm not your hand.
Kunino Sagiri

Florrow wrote:

I do these for like 3-4 minutes.
nice warmup
I Give Up
No pain no game.
ZenithPhantasm
No pain no gain unless it's nerve pain.
hand numbness let's me gap hard and not cry about it
Topic Starter
Florrow

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

Florrow wrote:

I do these for like 3-4 minutes.
nice warmup
Yeh i do these exercises everytime i feel my hand isnt as responsive as i want it (or as its used to be) and i gain a lot of response.
I started doing these stretches right after i had my first strain, and i also thought of quitting osu! cause i had hand pains during nights, but they didnt keep me from sleeping.
My first break ever was this above^, and i took a 5 days break.
After that, i started using the stretches every hour or so and since then i realised they do their job really good (they let me play every day for 6h and during weekends for like 10h #swegstretches)

Also when you get hand pains or stuff like that, just take a break until you feel its fine.
shortpotato
i am confused at the purpose of this thread

pls clarify??
Topic Starter
Florrow

shortpotato wrote:

pls clarify??
players can share their experience/advices regarding hand pains and breaks/play time a day
chainpullz

shortpotato wrote:

pls clarify??
TL;DR: Play more.
Ohrami
work on a comfortable stylus/mouse grip to minimize pain (this was my main issue and why I quit for a long time). your sensitivity/area can be a big contributing factor in getting a comfortable grip. make sure you grip loosely and at worst firmly. absolutely do not use a tight grip as this can cause a shit ton of problems even if you only do it for a day (personal experience).

RSI was never a real issue with me, just the pain of pressure against something. not sure how to fix or prevent RSI. however it is worth noting that I have Tourette's syndrome and some of the tics I do because of it are very similar to the stretches in the videos you posted, which might be why I never got these problems.

if you experience pain beyond slight muscle soreness, stop playing. the permanent damage you can receive from this type of pain will make you play worse in the long run.

if you keep all these tips in mind you can help yourself play safely and pain free!
Topic Starter
Florrow

Ohrami wrote:

work on a comfortable stylus/mouse grip to minimize pain (this was my main issue and why I quit for a long time). your sensitivity/area can be a big contributing factor in getting a comfortable grip. make sure you grip loosely and at worst firmly. absolutely do not use a tight grip as this can cause a shit ton of problems even if you only do it for a day (personal experience).

RSI was never a real issue with me, just the pain of pressure against something. not sure how to fix or prevent RSI. however it is worth noting that I have Tourette's syndrome and some of the tics I do because of it are very similar to the stretches in the videos you posted, which might be why I never got these problems.

if you experience pain beyond slight muscle soreness, stop playing. the permanent damage you can receive from this type of pain will make you play worse in the long run.

if you keep all these tips in mind you can help yourself play safely and pain free!
What's Tourette's syndrome
Endaris
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourette_syndrome
normal human doing odd movements that he can't control
Deva
Im in pain right now. Am i cool kid now?
290bpm too strong for me

When i feel pain i stop till its gone. Then i start playing again.
N0thingSpecial
Does emotional pain count?
Topic Starter
Florrow

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Does emotional pain count?
that only makes u not give a damn about everything and u can fc stuff without choking.
You're wellcome