forum

Caption text for taiko notes

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Explorer09
Forwarded from my post in another thread:
(viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41318)

Explorer09 wrote:

The new skin caused me to realize that in the original Taiko no Tatsujin, the text ド カ ド カ (do ka do ka) etc. helps colorblind players.
Because the color of the notes are a bit hard for me to distinguish, especially without texts. (Namco :()
Derekku
Yeah, it would be much more helpful to have a separate thread in here. Could a BAT/GMT split the posts discussing this from the announcement thread for me?
Jarby
No, I don't think this is necessary. Though you should be able to have seperate designs for the red and blue notes. Stripes on one of them, for example, would make it easier to distinguish the two.
Derekku
To be honest, I really don't care for the authentic caption text (unless it would be toggable *cough*). I know that in the past, others have suggested ideas to make Taiko more playable for those with color-blindness, but I can't seem to find anything on the forums. Just being able to change the colors might be too drastic, but different patterns and such (like Jar said) would probably be more feasible.
LuigiHann
I always thought that it was interesting that Taiko Drum Master, the version released in English, didn't have the caption text at all, it was completely absent.

I think MM201 was going to look into replicating this feature in osu!, but I do agree that it might be overkill.

I don't think it would be too bad to have a checkable box in the options somewhere along the lines of "color-blind taiko" that would replace the orange and blue with very light gray and very dark gray. Or something.
Guy-kun
Why does -anyone- in here care, this is stupid.
If someone said 'I am colourblind, i would like the sounds or designs to be visible' , this argument would be feasible, but at the moment you're all having a circlejerk over something no-one seems to need.

Move on, discuss features that are needed or actually benefitial
We could spend two years perfecting a taiko emulator (which osu! Is not) or we could design better things.

Tl;dr ver:
-1 Disapprove unless enough people need it.
RandomJibberish
Different designs would not only help colourblind people but also would look really cool

I know I'd use it in my skins.
lepidopodus

LuigiHann wrote:

I don't think it would be too bad to have a checkable box in the options somewhere along the lines of "color-blind taiko" that would replace the orange and blue with very light gray and very dark gray. Or something.
Agreed.
-----------
Current system of Taiko simply blocks those colorblinds to even think about playing Taiko. So I'd rather say 'no-one didn't even think about playing Taiko', instead of 'no-one seems to need'. (a.k.a. current Taiko lacks accessibility for colorblinds so it's natural that almost no-one plays it, or at least having hard time when playing Taiko.)
Prevalence of colorblind is actually quite high, especially for males.(7~10% of males are red-green colorblind, according to Wikipedia.) I guess not all of colorblinds are unable to play Taiko as there are several differnt types of colorbindness, but I'm sure some certain people need 'special option' for them.
Seems he could play TnT cause there are captions, so he says that if there are someting like captions that would be better to colorblinds, not 'let us make this more like Taiko simulator' or something.

EDIT:
Different note designs, well, might be better, but lots of notes are passing the screen quite fast. Even very skilled Taiko players sometimes misread some red/blue notes and get missed, and different design only is more hard for distinguish, I assume.

EDIT2:

LuigiHann wrote:

replace the orange and blue with very light gray and very dark gray.
Uh... I should say, as I know, conventionally we use ●(black circle) to represent don(red note) and ○(white circle) to represend kat(blue note) when we are not able to access to image file for note charts.

EDIT3:
Example from Japaese Taiko community, from the article about Kitasaitama2000.

mekadon_old
I disagree, though it really simulates elements from TnT.

Why? We have tons of replays in Hidden where there's no caption at all and after this is added, virtually every Taiko player will play in Hidden. Simple, caption is easier to read than hitcircles. Go figure.

Guy-kun wrote:

If someone said 'I am colourblind, i would like the sounds or designs to be visible' , this argument would be feasible, but at the moment you're all having a circlejerk over something no-one seems to need.
This.

For me, colorblind option should work better than adding this though. I like the current one in osu! as it doesn't look messy tbh
mm201
Hide the text completely in Hidden? :P
lepidopodus
There's 'Doron' mode in Taiko and it hides notes but does not hide text. But with osu Taiko, I think it needs to be hidden.
Derekku
See MM's reply here in response to a "color-blind" feature. I won't deny this thread though, since authentic caption text is a different issue completely.