forum

New Chrono Trigger Game for DS

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ROMaster2
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ctds/

I got to go, I'll edit here some thoughts later.
hadoken_zero
Kasada
This makes me very VERY excited. :)
[deleted user]

ROMaster2 wrote:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ctds/

I got to go, I'll edit here some thoughts later.
oh lawd. if so it would be awesome. i have chrono trigger on my ds anyway..(emulator) but yeah...this would contain nearly as much win as a falcon punch
Sinistro
Oh wow, this is amazing news! Heh, and I was waiting for the site's clock to hit 12 in case something happened...until I realised it takes the time of my computer's clock -_-;;

Please please oh pleeeeease let it be good.
awp
If it's a remake I'm going to say Squenix is pretty much dead now.

If it's a new Chrono game though that'll be fucking awesome.
Saturos
Direct port with an additional dungeon and support for the touch screen/split screen.

Too lazy to find source, but that's what it is.
awp

Saturos wrote:

Direct port
oh fuck off
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Behon
I worry about how the music will translate and how effed up the original display will be from the two screens.
awp

LuigiHann wrote:

What's wrong with that?
Squenix has been nothing but port, port, port lately (with a few rare exceptions) which means either one of two things (or perhaps both):

1 - they're keen on squeezing every last penny they can out of everything they've done
2 - they're subtly admitting that they have absolutely run out of ideas or inspiration

Sure Crisis Core wasn't that good but at least Dirge of Cerberus offered something new and exciting.

And you can still get Chrono Trigger on PSX and play it in a PS2. I saw it in a store two months ago, so it's not impossible to stumble upon. It is just a bid saddening to me that one of my favourite videogame companies is officially dying off. Their former magic is pretty much gone. All they've got left is Tetsuya Nomura.
Saturos
I doubt Squeenix is dying off.

Squeenix has always been in it for the money (hello extra $10 on any game), and will continue to be. When you can just throw a widely known title on a game, whether it be a port (lots recently) or a entirely new game, and know it'll sell like crazy, why put your priorities on new games that may flop? Take for example the entire Final Fantasy series. Everyone knows Final Fantasy in some way or another, and every single game (besides ports and X-2) are escentially their own game, with their own unique story, characters, plot, etc. They could just give it a completely different title, but it would likely sell better under Final Fantasy ##.

It's just good business.
awp

Saturos wrote:

They could just give it a completely different title, but it would likely sell better under Final Fantasy ##.
The opposite could be said for The Spirits Within but that's about it.

By dying I don't mean going out of business, I mean they're losing what they've always been revered for. They're losing the magic of their former glory.

At least I still have my Kingdom Hearts to look forward to =<
LuigiHann
I think Sinistro's point is that the stuff they're doing now is no different from what they've been doing for the past 10 years, so if you think this is a new phenomenon, you're fooling yourself.
Saturos

LuigiHann wrote:

I think Sinistro's point is that the stuff they're doing now is no different from what they've been doing for the past 10 years, so if you think this is a new phenomenon, you're fooling yourself.
DDDD:
awp

LuigiHann wrote:

They weren't remake-heavy 10 years ago. There was a couple bundles on the PSX, but that was it. They were still imaginative.

How many versions of FF1 are there now, anyhow? NES, PSX, GBA, PSP?
LuigiHann
Lol hi sinisturos.
Mogsy

awp wrote:

Saturos wrote:

They could just give it a completely different title, but it would likely sell better under Final Fantasy ##.
The opposite could be said for The Spirits Within but that's about it.

By dying I don't mean going out of business, I mean they're losing what they've always been revered for. They're losing the magic of their former glory.

At least I still have my Kingdom Hearts to look forward to =<
Even I admit that I'm getting sick of Squenix pumping out port after port, but you've gotta admit it, the ports are showing the old games to a new generation. Besides, if they had not remade games like FFIII, they would have gone unplayed by everyone without an emulator.

Still, this does look like they're milking fans of the old game. It's going to work (I sure as hell want to get it), but this is just going to get them to do more ports. Next thing you know, there's going to be something like a Terranigma DS.
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Mogsy

awp wrote:

Well FF3 was a legitimate remake imo because few people had actually played FF3, and having played both the famicom and DS version I noticed considerable differences in the storyline early on in the DS version, such as each character actually having a distinct role instead of everyone being interchangeable carbon copies of one another.
True. I really do want something different from my remakes.

But now that I start thinking about it, a Terranigma remake with a change in story would be better than the original. Mostly because Terranigma's story sucked.

Although, in this case, I think many people wouldn't want Chrono Trigger's story to be drastically changed.
show more