1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings
posted
Recently been debating when to learn HR/AR10. I've talked to a few of my friends and they say HDHR is ez pp compared to that of HDDT/DT plays. When it comes to practicing HR/AR10 I can't tell if I have slow reactions to AR or if something else may be wrong. I can mostly play AR 10 maps with decent acc and can hold a combo, but as soon as i try to use HR to play AR10 I have terrible acc and rarely can hold a combo. Am i maybe not used to the OD and if that's the case I'm assuming the remedy to that would be to play more? :)
posted
Some players play better in DT, some HDHR. A high HDHR pp score may seem easy to them, but it might not for others. Don't force yourself to play mods you don't like unless you want to get competitive in the game.

and yes, play more.
posted

Reincarnate wrote:

Recently been debating when to learn HR/AR10. I've talked to a few of my friends and they say HDHR is ez pp compared to that of HDDT/DT plays. When it comes to practicing HR/AR10 I can't tell if I have slow reactions to AR or if something else may be wrong. I can mostly play AR 10 maps with decent acc and can hold a combo, but as soon as i try to use HR to play AR10 I have terrible acc and rarely can hold a combo. Am i maybe not used to the OD and if that's the case I'm assuming the remedy to that would be to play more? :)
well there you go.

tbh the way I see it, it is more of whether are you a faster or more accurate player.

Either way, hr is something you need to learn and get used to because it is quite different to dt and nomod; namely the cs and od rather than the actual ar. You don't really have anything to lose by playing more hr, I would honestly just play both and try to become a more well rounded player (this also means you shouldn't neglect nomod).
posted
never cuz ar10 is evul
ar9.3 best ar
posted
ar9.3 best ar
posted
144 hz monitor!!
posted

KanoSet wrote:

never cuz ar10 is evul
ar9.3 best ar
Any ar is best ar if you can read it
posted
That feel when DT isn't EZPP because you can't read 9.6
posted

Barusamikosu wrote:

That feel when DT isn't EZPP because you can't read 9.6
Tfw HR isn't easy pp because you can't acc
posted
I think you're plenty ready to learn AR10. I wish I could, I'm in the same train. Rip slow reactions
posted
I've always thought of AR10 and 9.6 as completely different kinds of maps since 10 tends to be hard rock and entails increased od/cs/hp to a cap while 9.6 is almost always doubletime and entails increased speed and od but leaves hp and cs the same.

It's in this sense that someone who plays doubletime and doubletime only will probably die when trying to play hard rock since they are also probably used to the higher ar being accompanied with a higher bpm. On the other hand, a hard rock player who also has decent speed should have no trouble playing doubletime; since it only increases speed and overall difficulty which they are already used to with hr (assuming we are comparing similar difficulty maps).

I could be completely wrong, but I feel like learning to play hr is really valuable and only rises your overall potential.

But this also poses another question; is doubletime "easier" for people to learn and pick up at first? It definitely seemed that way for me at least. I guess people might be dissuaded by the learning curve of hard rock and just opt for what they already know?
posted
What double time are you speaking of? Are you talking about low 5* (After DT) maps at 210 and lower bpm or are you talking about 240+ bpm 5.5*+ DT?

I'd call people getting pp only from the former as DT players as much as I am a HR player from my no title fc in my top 10.
posted

shortpotato wrote:

144 hz monitor!!
Does this really help? I've been looking at one for awhile...

Philantropist wrote:

I've always thought of AR10 and 9.6 as completely different kinds of maps since 10 tends to be hard rock and entails increased od/cs/hp to a cap while 9.6 is almost always doubletime and entails increased speed and od but leaves hp and cs the same.

It's in this sense that someone who plays doubletime and doubletime only will probably die when trying to play hard rock since they are also probably used to the higher ar being accompanied with a higher bpm. On the other hand, a hard rock player who also has decent speed should have no trouble playing doubletime; since it only increases speed and overall difficulty which they are already used to with hr (assuming we are comparing similar difficulty maps).

I could be completely wrong, but I feel like learning to play hr is really valuable and only rises your overall potential.

But this also poses another question; is doubletime "easier" for people to learn and pick up at first? It definitely seemed that way for me at least. I guess people might be dissuaded by the learning curve of hard rock and just opt for what they already know?
I would mostly agree with the last part of your post, HR has a steep learning curve and it really threw me off when I couldn't read the AR at first accompanied with the fact that i would fail the song within 20-30seconds, makes it extremely hard to learn.

Khelly wrote:

What double time are you speaking of? Are you talking about low 5* (After DT) maps at 210 and lower bpm or are you talking about 240+ bpm 5.5*+ DT?

I'd call people getting pp only from the former as DT players as much as I am a HR player from my no title fc in my top 10.
I personally am talking about DT in general as most of my high pp plays have come from a 5.5* 200-210+bpm play, lately I've gotten addicted to practice 8.5+DT which is AR10? I think. I just have't gotten used to the BPM of those songs yet though. I also have just recently learned how to acc well, like in the past couple of days my overall acc rose about 1% xD
posted
144hz monitor won't make a significant difference at AR10
posted
AR10 and AR8.5+DT are two different things. DT only speeds up a map, it doesn't actually increase the relative approach rate so the object density doesn't change. Unless we are talking streams, I wouldn't consider speed to start until 240bpm. Everything else might as well be shitty nomod maps because of the mapping style used at lower *diff these days.
posted

Reincarnate wrote:

Khelly wrote:

I personally am talking about DT in general as most of my high pp plays have come from a 5.5* 200-210+bpm play, lately I've gotten addicted to practice 8.5+DT which is AR10? I think. I just have't gotten used to the BPM of those songs yet though. I also have just recently learned how to acc well, like in the past couple of days my overall acc rose about 1% xD
I wouldn't call those low bpm maps actual DT maps simply because they're accessible to a large amount of people who don't actually have speed. Look at daidai genome. It's a mere 203 bpm and od8 + DT which means that most people can actually play at its speed and get the acc pp from the od 9.6. Orange is only 210 bpm and is similarly in the same category. I have 1x100 DT and I'm map rank 1400? What the fuck?

Anyone can pick up and play some low bpm high 3* to low 4* DT map. However, check out older maps or really any DT map that's 240+ bpm. I can shittily acc fc them and I keep getting map rank 400 or less. Sometimes even near 50. People just don't do that as much.

There's probably exceptions for maps like magical girl, but I haven't fc'd that yet so I don't know how many people are around a 1.12x or better fc. Yeah that includes HDHR but still.
posted
I wouldn't call those low bpm maps actual DT maps simply because they're accessible to a large amount of people who don't actually have speed. Look at daidai genome. It's a mere 203 bpm and od8 + DT which means that most people can actually play at its speed and get the acc pp from the od 9.6. Orange is only 210 bpm and is similarly in the same category. I have 1x100 DT and I'm map rank 1400? What the fuck?

Anyone can pick up and play some low bpm high 3* to low 4* DT map. However, check out older maps or really any DT map that's 240+ bpm. I can shittily acc fc them and I keep getting map rank 400 or less. Sometimes even near 50. People just don't do that as much.

There's probably exceptions for maps like magical girl, but I haven't fc'd that yet so I don't know how many people are around a 1.12x or better fc. Yeah that includes HDHR but still.
I understand where you're coming from with the 9.6DT etc etc, but you also picked very popular songs for this argument, I have plenty of plays on similar BPM maps and are still ranked within the top 500 if not closer to 50 with good acc on songs with less BPM then Daidai or Orange. I'll use Koigokoro as my example. On both Insane and Delis' Insane I'm ranked in top 1000 out of 53k scores for Delis' and 500 out of 35k for Insane. Both having more plays than Daidai sitting at 23k and Orange sitting at 22.8k Orange on the other hand is both a popular song and really low star count at only 5.18. Also Tillerino recommends Orange often almost as often as it does Daidai and Koigokoro. When it comes to 240 bpm, i understand that most people say thats when speed starts etc, but for 9.6 most maps are mapped really awful if you are not an alternating player and when it comes down to it the PP worth is not there for the effort that needs to be put in. You get relatively the same PP as you would for a 200bpm map.
posted
Many 240 bpm 9.6 maps that I have and have fc'd are older maps that have a different type of aim - one that I actually like. Off the top of my head (Not all are 240 bpm), lily burning night, la di da, radio hardcore, how do you do, etc. The pp is still worth it, you just have to learn a different type of aim.
posted

Khelly wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/89606 Rustbell the god

But, uh, some 180bpm DT maps are actually hard
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/19467 WWW doing WWW things

Just not any of the recent 180bpm maps.
posted
I'm talking in general. Not weird, badly old maps like chevron.
show more