forum

Playing on small tablet area

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
A Cute Grill
I always follow the play more bible everyone preaches and I tend to enjoy myself either way even if I feel like I suck.

Lately though I've gone months without improving too much and I can tell myself that the tablet area I have is pretty ridiculous. I used to play with really high in-game setting sensitivity and switched to a smaller area instead since it was better.

http://i.imgur.com/h5HHww5.png

I have so much practice on this area that I can hold ~98% acc in songs around my skill level but any kind of nervousness or if my pen isn't perfectly moving perpendicular I miss terribly. Long jumps suffer a lot too because of how little room for error there is and how the mapping sort of gets distorted at this sensitivity if your pen isn't perfectly level. I'm trying to make my area bigger gradually but my play takes a nosedive that I can barely play songs way below what I usually play at. Ofc that's not gonna happen overnight. Playing more.

TL;DR Would it be worth it to use a bigger tablet area or is it a bad idea to change your play-style after playing with it so long?
Raniemi
Yes, use a bigger tablet area
ZenithPhantasm
Use the biggest area you can while still being able to reach all 4 corners without straining your hand (stretching it)
trebby
Your area's really small right now, if I were you, I would enlarge it by at least twice that size. You mentioned not being able to make the area bigger gradually, but it's pretty much the only way you'll get used to another area. Just largen the area slightly slower, almost to where it's unnoticeable.
But, whether you choose to change your area is completely up to you. If you feel like you're able to play better with the area you have now, then stick to it. Keep in mind it'll be very hard to change areas once you've played a lot more with that area.
Bauxe
You don't improve much because you don't play much.
Jellyfish McGub
i increased the play area of my tablet... it's basically like increasing the size of your screen, although it stays the same. basically, increasing the area of the tablet increases the size of wherever it is your pen has to be to be inside of each circle.

unless if you are me and never move your wrist while playing, the bigger is technically better, but yeah, too big and you have to swing your whole arm when jumping
Sayorie
Why would you increase your in-game sensitivity for a tablet?
Bauxe

Arthraxium wrote:

Why not? It works.
Sayorie

Bauxe wrote:

Arthraxium wrote:

Why not? It works.
If each pixel has it's own coordinate over the tablet area, would a higher sensitivity make your aim go off or something? I never really tried this, but from a logical point of view, I don't see how absolute positioning and a 'scaling sensitivity slider for relative positioning made for mice/trackball/etc' would work together.

Can someone enlighten me please?
Bauxe

Arthraxium wrote:

If each pixel has it's own coordinate over the tablet area, would a higher sensitivity make your aim go off or something? I never really tried this, but from a logical point of view, I don't see how absolute positioning and a 'scaling sensitivity slider for relative positioning made for mice/trackball/etc' would work together.

Can someone enlighten me please?
It pretty much just decreases your area, similar to changing it with the driver.
Sayorie

Bauxe wrote:

It pretty much just decreases your area, similar to changing it with the driver.
I see. Then that would really be small.

A Cute Grill wrote:

TL;DR Would it be worth it to use a bigger tablet area or is it a bad idea to change your play-style after playing with it so long?
Currently, aiming has not been a problem for me even though I'm playing with full tablet area. I also used a smaller tablet area before, but I almost always miss on high-bpm jumps, so I gradually increased my tablet area until I got used with full area. Having full area means you can be more accurate (you can do the logic there) in exchange for speed, which you can simply train your wrist to go faster.

However, it doesn't have to be the full tablet area. Try to min-max for yourself and find your most comfortable tablet area, where you can have your best accuracy all while having no problem with your wrist/arm movement. It takes lots of trial-and-error and a lot of misses/failed songs until you get what's best for you.