forum

Are mechanical keyboards worth it?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dazardz
Are they worth it? These things can go from 60 bucks to 150 bucks. And that's here in the UK.

So what can they do? Glow up. Sound nice. That's all I know so far. People say that they help you stream faster or something, but I wouldn't have one to know if that's true. I'm no rich kid, but the friends I have that play osu all have mechanical keyboards and only one of them can actually do well amazingly streams (though it's probably because he plays 24/7) and I honestly believe that you can still reach such speed and stamina on a normal keyboard.

So why buy a mechanical keyboard? If you're rich and want to have something fancy looking? If you're a twitch streamer?
Or to help you with streams? If it's streams, I don't believe that it would be worth the money (and glowing up or sounding nice definitely isn't worth it either), but this thread is for someone to prove me wrong. Any other pros about buying a mechanical keyboard?
Yuudachi-kun
It feels nice and you use a keyboard everytime you use a computer.
Mahogany
I got my acc with my mech

Also it feels amazing

Also if you use your computer for more than just playing osu it's totally worth it esp. if you type.
Topic Starter
Dazardz

Mahogany wrote:

Also if you use your computer for more than just playing osu it's totally worth it esp. if you type.
I type. Quite a lot. I still think it isn't much of a problem with a normal keyboard though. As for using it for other things on my computer, I'm not really a PC gamer.
Mahogany
It's literally like the difference between punching concrete and punching a pillow
Topic Starter
Dazardz
Alright then. And like the first reply said, I use a keyboard every time I use a computer (which is 3/4 of a day).

I'd rather go try out my friends mechanical keyboard first and see if this really is worth it.
Mahogany
Oh, if you can try out a mech keyboard first, do that for sure. I personally love the difference, but have seen some people say they haven't noticed it. Try-before-you-buy is the best situation to be in. Good luck!
chainpullz

Khelly wrote:

It feels nice and you use a keyboard everytime you use a computer.
This. You won't magically become better from having a mechanical keyboard. There are players who have broken 9k pp (namely, isokasapupuja) playing DT with rubber domes.

The only other thing to note is that a mechanical key is rated to last about 50 million keypresses whereas rubber dome keys deteriorate and eventually break in (much?) less than 10 million usually. Deteriorate meaning they don't just suddenly break, they start to feel different the more worn they get which can cause them to feel bad.
Yuudachi-kun
They always say they're rated for up to 50,000,000 so yours will break at any time.
ZenithPhantasm
Mechanical switches deteriorate too.
ZenithPhantasm
Only optical switches are truly durable.
chainpullz

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Dude, cut the shit, you haven't even played with them. All you know about them is from propaganda off the internet. You've gone through like 20 mice in the past year because you buy into their propaganda.
ZenithPhantasm

chainpullz wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Dude, cut the shit, you haven't even played with them. All you know about them is from propaganda off the internet. You've gone through like 20 mice in the past year because you buy into their propaganda.
And I returned 17 of them 8-)
#BasedAmazon
Saphirshroom

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Have you been hired by A4TECH? Kappa
ZenithPhantasm
Optical switches are durable because it won't suffer a contact failure.
The Gambler
Well, the CM Trigger is durable enough for clubbing use, just in case the NSA comes to steal your pr0n physically. That said, and it feels nice to type with is a boon for most people.

Either that or that Ducky Year of the Horse Edition keyboard. Like holy fuck; that keyboard is MILLED ALUMINIUM.. Not plastic case with metal plate...

It's a baseball bat.
ZenithPhantasm
Pretty sure if they did it with optical switches it would be more durable. Comparing a mechanical switch and an optical switch is like comparing a HDD vs a SSD.
yxn

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Have you been hired by A4TECH?
Saphirshroom

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Pretty sure if they did it with optical switches it would be more durable. Comparing a mechanical switch and an optical switch is like comparing a HDD vs a SSD.
Except HDDs last like 5 times longer (and are more reliable), so you'd have to switch the durability of those two. Unless that's what you meant
Jellyfish McGub
just get an old mouse from the box in the attic where your old computer stuff is and tape it to your desk. you can click with that
ZenithPhantasm
SSD fails because of flash memory. In terms of being alive in the sense that it could still power on the SSD will last longer than the HDD because there's less points of failure.
Sayorie
I once pondered about considering buying mechanical keyboards before, and I was conflicted because why should I buy a really expensive one when a mere rubber-dome type keyboard does the same thing?

Yet, I said, f*ck it and went out to buy some K70 blues—and it was the second best thing in the world, next to osu!. Yes, blues. Go away, blue switch haters.

It just goes to show that it takes the actual usage experience with a mechanical keyboard to make you fall in love with it.

Now go try one at your nearest computer peripherals store.
Endie-
It depends how big your wallet is.
I would say go get one, or borrow one from a friend so you could try it out for yourself
show more