forum

Cursor has cut dimensions; how to fix?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kaivu
I'm working on a skin right now, and the cursor seems to have "cut" dimensions... Like this:

If you look closely, the glow on the edges seem to be cut off. The cursor and cursortrail files I have aren't like this. If I remove either cursor or cursortrail from my skin file and replace them with a 1 x 1 transparent image, they will look fine on their own. (For example, regular cursor with 1 x 1 transparent cursortrail is fine, and 1 x 1 transparent cursor with regular cursortrail is fine.) But together, it looks like the glow is boxed-in.

There's no cursormiddle in my skin folder. If add a 1 x 1 transparent cursormiddle, it also fixes the problem, but then the cursor trail becomes unnecessarily long and distracting.

Anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: Here are the cursor and cursortrail files, if that helps:

BDWZ

Kaivu wrote:

I'm working on a skin right now, and the cursor seems to have "cut" dimensions... Like this:

If you look closely, the glow on the edges seem to be cut off. The cursor and cursortrail files I have aren't like this. If I remove either cursor or cursortrail from my skin file and replace them with a 1 x 1 transparent image, they will look fine on their own. (For example, regular cursor with 1 x 1 transparent cursortrail is fine, and 1 x 1 transparent cursor with regular cursortrail is fine.) But together, it looks like the glow is boxed-in.

There's no cursormiddle in my skin folder. If add a 1 x 1 transparent cursormiddle, it also fixes the problem, but then the cursor trail becomes unnecessarily long and distracting.

Anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: Here are the cursor and cursortrail files, if that helps:

wow i tried your cursor, and i even make my own without cursormiddle, and that problem occur to the glow effect.
looks like it's how osu read the file without cursormiddle resulting in cropping semi-transparent area on the glow.
*i have tried layer masking too,.. no effect, as long there's no cursor middle, you got a cropped cursor! T_T*
Topic Starter
Kaivu
Well, at least I know that it's not a problem with me specifically...

I tried replacing the two files with stuff from different skins, and it seems to work fine. The glow isn't cut when I try it with these:

Which are from -Ryosuke's -kamui- skin. The glow is huge on the cursor, but it doesn't get cut. I'm not sure what the problem is.
lit120
Lower the image size, duhh
Topic Starter
Kaivu

-Hakurei- wrote:

...But then it'll make the cursor smaller. Which I don't want to do.

I'd like to fix this problem while keeping my original files.
BDWZ

Kaivu wrote:

-Hakurei- wrote:

...But then it'll make the cursor smaller. Which I don't want to do.

I'd like to fix this problem while keeping my original files.
as far as i know you can't maintain your original files without cut *especially with larger vertical glow*, kamui skin that you mentioned are much lower in size than your cursor *i mean non-transparent area*
so yeah..

-Hakurei- wrote:

is the only way you can do without cursormiddle.png file, if you got a larger cursor than kamui without crop, please do post it here, i'm kinda curious to test it as well :D.
EDIT : that's not the case, i tried to resize kamui cursor two times larger, and it's not cropped.. looks like the problem you need to fix is make the cursor and cursor trail size similar. like this
Topic Starter
Kaivu
I'm just not sure what the problem is. :( My cursor + kamui's cursortrail is completely okay. What do you mean by "non-transparent area"? I cropped the excess transparent parts from my cursor, and it's still the same thing.

Am I just missing something really obvious? D:
BDWZ

Kaivu wrote:

I'm just not sure what the problem is. :( My cursor + kamui's cursortrail is completely okay. What do you mean by "non-transparent area"? I cropped the excess transparent parts from my cursor, and it's still the same thing.

i tried it again, and i think i found the cause.. it's your cursor trail that got cropped, try zoom in on your cursor trail to check the cropped area (add layer below your cursortrail and fill it with black to see the cropped area more easily)..
for the fix : try using a bigger canvas and redo your cursortrail. it works for me
Topic Starter
Kaivu

BDWZ wrote:

Kaivu wrote:

i tried it again, and i think i found the cause.. it's your cursor trail that got cropped, try zoom in on your cursor trail to check the cropped area (add layer below your cursortrail and fill it with black to see the cropped area more easily)..
for the fix : try using a bigger canvas and redo your cursortrail. it works for me
I tried that, and it didn't work! My cursortrail doesn't look cropped to me when it put it against a black background and zoom in. D:
BDWZ

Kaivu wrote:

I tried that, and it didn't work! My cursortrail doesn't look cropped to me when it put it against a black background and zoom in. D:
(i can't blame you if you can't find the cropped area in your file.. as it needs thorough searching) but have you tried to re-make the cursortrail on a bigger canvas? ("for the fix" part) because it is really work for me, here's a proof:
file
This is your Cursor and Cursortrail

This is your Cursor with revamped Cursortrail

Compare them properly, if it still doesn't work.. there's something wrong with your client, can't help further if that's the case
Topic Starter
Kaivu
...So this is what I ended up doing:

1.) Increase the edges the old cursortrail's canvas to 100x100: no fix
2.) Make a new cursortrail on a 100x100 canvas: fix
3.) Use the same old cursortrail from step #1: fix

I'm not sure why it works now, but it works so I'm not complaining! Thank you so much for helping me through this! :)

(But I seriously can't see the "cropped edges" you were talking about on my cursortrail! Here's a pic of the zoomed-in cursortrail:)