forum

Is MX Brown good for osu?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NANOdroid
I found a good mechanical keyboard at a local pc shop for a really good price, but it's only available in MX Brown switches, should i buy it or save for another keyboard?
ZenithPhantasm
Save for a switch you actually want.
jesse1412
Completely subjective.

IMO (after trying all four of the basic switches)

blacks > brown > red > blue

for typing blues are the best, the rest are all equal.
-Ene-_old_1
Get whatever keyboard glows your favourite colour
Topic Starter
NANOdroid
I guess i'll save for a blue switch since i type a lot more than i think i do.

Thank you for helping.
Novalogic
Remember that playng osu with blue switches can annoy the hell out of your surroundings. They are VERY loud.
FrzR
I have tried blues but I wasn't playing that well compared to what I have which is reds so it's definitely personal preference. If you are looking for a cheap mechanical keypad with various mechanical switch options just for osu!, you can check out Thnikk's osu! keypads which you can check out by clicking the link here: Thnikk's osu! keypads.
TakuMii
Browns are just fine for osu!, in fact they're my preferred switch. And Blues will hold you back a bit (in terms of streaming speed) due to how they are designed, although they're pretty nice for typing. But as others have already said, your choice of switch is mainly subjective.

and you might like to know that cookiezi hr fc'ed freedom dive using browns, hue
Sayorie
Subjectively speaking, red switches are the best for osu!, but are somewhat detrimental to other games that involve lots of buttons to click (MOBAs, MMORPGS, starcraft 2 micro-ing skills gg), especially if you're a gamer. My first mech was a red switch and I mis-casted lots of spells and stuff.

MX Browns are good, because they aren't heavy compared to MX blues. I don't want to expound anymore about MX blues, because I might sound like I'm shilling people with this all-purpose and godly switch.
Endie-
this is very opinion based.
Try different switches out and see what you like.
TakuMii

Arthraxium wrote:

MX Browns are good, because they aren't heavy compared to MX blues.
It's not the weight that makes Blues not as good, it's the clicking mechanism. The moving keystem and higher reset point causes fast repeated keypresses to be slightly less consistent and requires more finger movement compared to any of the other 3 main switches (or any other non-clicky keyswitch, really). Not noticeable when typing, but definitely noticeable when playing games.
I Give Up
I prefer reds for osu and blacks for typing. For me reds > blacks > blues > browns > clear > green. I haven't tried any more switch to compare.

Is MX Brown good for osu?
Yes just ask cptnXn. Really it is different for each person you just have to try things.
Sayorie

Endie- wrote:

this is very opinion based.
Try different switches out and see what you like.
True. Actually everything posted here are mostly subjective to a certain degree, because everything that we claim are based on personal experience, despite the fact that our claims are anchored to objective facts like how switches actually work.

Find different friends who own different types of mechanical keyboards to try them out yourself.

YayMii wrote:

Arthraxium wrote:

It's not the weight that makes Blues not as good, it's the clicking mechanism. The moving keystem and higher reset point causes fast repeated keypresses to be slightly less consistent and requires more finger movement compared to any of the other 3 main switches (or any other non-clicky keyswitch, really). Not noticeable when typing, but definitely noticeable when playing games.
I own both types of keyboard switches, and although you are right about the theory, the troubling experience which I had was really attributed to the weight. Where the actuation point lies pose no problem because human brains adapt; it's just that MX Reds are optimized for repeated clicking; MX Blues still have a place in gaming, specifically for click accuracy, not for speed clicking. The thing is, the higher strain MX blues deal to the player is more overbearing than the clicking mechanism itself.

But then again, I see your point. MX Browns have a different mechanism than Blues.
Endaris
browns are everyone's favorite allround-switches
low actuation force for quick button presses, tactile bump for decent typing-feedback at a medium volume
they're a good switch to find out what you like about a switch and what not
ZenithPhantasm
Browns are weighted more heavily than reds.
Endaris
But less than blacks and blues...still a light switch
jesse1412

Endaris wrote:

low actuation force for quick button presses

Endaris wrote:

low actuation force

Endaris wrote:

quick
Suuuure.

YayMii wrote:

Arthraxium wrote:

^There're the facts about blues.
Endaris
I was talking about browns though? :(
Jesse pls.
jesse1412

Endaris wrote:

I was talking about browns though? :(
Jesse pls.
Those were meant to be separate comments.
Topic Starter
NANOdroid
Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

I had the decision to buy the browns instead since I had the money, but unfortunately for me it's out of stock just a week later. Now I'll have to stick with my 9 year old keyboard until it's in stock again. :?