forum

[New Rule] Storyboarder's name should be added in Tags

posted
Total Posts
show more
Aurele
I totally agree with this, I thought it was already a rule. Making a storyboard is as hard as doing a guest difficulty and it can be easier to find someone's masterpiece if their name are in the tags.
Mahogany

Endaris wrote:

I thought this was common sense.
Common sense seems more uncommon nowadays.

I would agree with this new rule. I think good storyboards can add a lot to a map, and considering most maps already thank the storyboarder in the description anyway, I don't see a problem with it.
Topic Starter
Nerova Riuz GX
Actually this came out in my mind when I start to make SB in my own maps, it's pretty hard and took me like over one week to finish the whole thing. That takes much longer than I map.
I believe such a hard work should be fairly considered as an "actual map contribution", just like GDs.
Also it will be easier to find those SBs made by some certain people (like Damnae, 11t...), so we can take some of those ideas and create more different stuff. That's good for SB designers too, especially the new ones.
The main purpose why I suggest this rule is to encourage people making storyboards, so people can know who had contributed the SB in this mapset, and show the same respect on SBers as GDers.

And...though this is not really related to the topic...but not everyone will take a look at the whole song description.
Kibbleru

Natsu wrote:

Endaris wrote:

I thought this was common sense.
Don't need to add obvious things, tbh.
this is the infamous osu community were talking about. if you dont hand them stuff on a platter they wont take it q:
PyaKura
Yes yes add storyboarder's name in the tags. Like I don't play std and most of the std maps I have are solely for watching the SBs and while I don't necessarily know who did what, I already know of some very experienced storyboarders and looking for their SBs via their username would be a neat addition.
Underforest
I'm agree with this but should be a guideline as said Sonnyc
Monstrata
Would be cool if storyboarder's names were added to tags though. Makes it easier to search through maps that certain users have storyboarded. And unlike the wallpaper/video, the storyboard was specifically made to accompany a mapset.

Making it a rule? Sure. But I think people should want to add SB'ers to tags anyways lol. (There's no reason not to anyways...)
XinCrin
It's irrelevant in my opinion. Mappers always add storyboarder's name at tags. But if you feel good with it, go ahead :)
Seijiro
It's hard to find someone playing with something else than 100% dim tho xd
This is more a matter for the modders, since they can see it into the editor, while most players won't really notice it imo. (And as a modder I always check who made the SB on the thread, that's why I thought it was enough)
Anyway, rather than a rule, I'd make it a guideline. Even like this modders will spread the voice and make it into a some sort of unspoken rule, even if, as already said many times, this should be more like common sense than anything (in case of this being a rule they could even DQ a map because of it, right? Which I find really dumb tbh)
HappyRocket88
Then mapsets will be DQ'ed just because the storyboarder isn't over tags? nuuuu /w\
Irreversible

HappyRocket88 wrote:

Then mapsets will be DQ'ed just because the storyboarder isn't over tags? nuuuu /w\
lol. just add it, no problem

should be human sense anyways, i don't know if it's an actual problem that's worth being a rule - but it won't hurt anyway.
mintong89

HappyRocket88 wrote:

Just saying that QAT can adding something to tag without dq, lol
Claud
This is basically like Sending someone to jail for not saying "Hello" when he meet someone.

Disagree.

However, ever though about people who doesn't want credit? may be a minor quantity, but there are.
Topic Starter
Nerova Riuz GX

Hero For Fun wrote:

This is basically like Sending someone to jail for not saying "Hello" when he meet someone.

Disagree.

However, ever though about people who doesn't want credit? may be a minor quantity, but there are.
Sending someone to jail. Seriously?

How can adding someone's name in tags be so bad like that?
The metaphor is quite bad, to be honest.
_handholding

Hero For Fun wrote:

^ My brain couldnt understand that all.

Does it really need to be a rule? If the SBer wants his name to be in the tags I'm sure he can just ask for it to be added and Im sure 99% of the time the mapper will comply.

Most of the times the SBer's name is given in the description and/or is written as text in the actual SB itself
lolcubes
As Sonnyc stated, it's just like putting an artist from your background into tags.

Here's a more interesting question, why aren't we putting people who actually made hitsounds into tags? Hitsounds have a direct contribution to the playability of the map.
We don't, we just credit them in the first post. Logically, a lesser contribution to the playability of the map should be treated the same.

I do agree that storyboard isn't always easy to make, but there is automation software to create SBs out there, and just mixing a few backgrounds and a press of a button suddenly isn't that much of a hard work though.

Adding a SBer into tags should be optional at best.
Shohei Ohtani
It's really weird how a lot of people, generally in staff positions, seem to always bring up the point "Well they made something but they didn't put much WORK into it."

It was a huge issue in GD making as well as extending song length. It's as if people need to have clocked in a certain number of hours on a map to have their contributions validated.

I think it should be a rule that if ANY custom elements were created by others, they should be credited in the tags. There are things that we can't credit, such as if I were to grab a MIDI piano note that I can't really credit to a certain group, but we can give credit where credit is due. Going up to the point in the first line of lolcubes's post, I actually almost sat down and made a thread asking about requiring artists from the background in the tags, because many people felt it should be added.

I know what I'm typing sounds like a slippery slope of "ADD EVERYTHING" to tags, but I don't think that the notion of "u didn't sit at the computer for long enough!!" makes things invalid to get credit, especially when it's one line in a tag that can be added post-qualify without DQs
Myxo
If you want to push this through you should first rewrite the rule in the metadata section of the current Ranking Criteria, because we definitely need no seperate rule for this.

Ranking Criteria wrote:

The information of multiple mapset contributors must be provided in the mapset, if there is any guest mapper. This might be in the creator's words, via a storyboard or via naming the guest difficulties appropriately. You only need to provide information of guest mapper and corresponding guest part. Guest mappers must be added to the tags of a mapset. This helps others to know if the map uploader is the main contributor of the mapset and who else contributed to the given mapset.
Just rewrite this so that the storyboarder's name is also mentioned.

Personally I'm neutral on this.
lolcubes

Reditum wrote:

There are things that we can't credit, such as if I were to grab a MIDI piano note that I can't really credit to a certain group, but we can give credit where credit is due.
Which is why this can't be a rule. Rules should be absolute. This should be a guideline at best. Credits can be made into the first post.

I just don't understand why people want more rules to restrict them, especially on small things like this, when there are far more important rules that should be changed because they either don't make sense, or are restricting something in a way it shouldn't.

If you want to add a SBer into tags, go ahead. Don't force everyone to do it, because it's just not logical to credit this before crediting certain other things which in most cases can't be credited, but have more impact. If it's not possible to credit everyone for their work, then you shouldn't force this as it can only create more inconsistencies and pressure from the rules.

It's really weird how a lot of people, generally in staff positions, seem to always bring up the point "Well they made something but they didn't put much WORK into it."
You're twisting my words. I never said people put little work into stuff, I just made a scenario of a possible case where such a thing can happen. When you are making rules, you need to think of every possible scenario and how that scenario will be affected. Based on this you need to weight if it's even worth making a rule, or just a guideline.

Not sure if all this matters anymore though, since:

Loctav wrote:

In order to rework the Ranking Criteria from the fundaments, restructuring and reforming the appearance and bring everyone on the common ground, we decided to put a group of users in charge to work together renewing the compendium of rules and guidelines we use on everyday mapping.
I guess we take our requests towards the council now?
Endaris

lolcubes wrote:

If you want to add a SBer into tags, go ahead. Don't force everyone to do it, because it's just not logical to credit this before crediting certain other things which in most cases can't be credited, but have more impact. If it's not possible to credit everyone for their work, then you shouldn't force this as it can only create more inconsistencies and pressure from the rules.
I think the main difference between a SB and a mp3-file or background or something else is that the storyboard got specifically created for the map just like guest difficulties.
As long as guest mappers have to be added to the tags, guest storyboarders should be too.

PS: It makes no sense to rely on a council of arbritrarely picked members the community had/has no influence on and that are anything but representative. I certainly don't see any need to be represented by one council member, I rather representate myself.
Aside from peppy stating on reddit that he didn't knew about the council stuff either.
lolcubes

Endaris wrote:

I think the main difference between a SB and a mp3-file or background or something else is that the storyboard got specifically created for the map just like guest difficulties.
As long as guest mappers have to be added to the tags, guest storyboarders should be too.
What if a background was made specifically for a beatmap? (there is a legit case here: monthly beatmap contests for example) How is that different?
Same goes for hitsounds, you could make a case where hitsounds were specifically made for a beatmap. I actually did that in one of my maps, but what if I chose to donate my hitsounds to someone else, should I be credited?

First post is enough.
Natsu
I don't think is enought, anyways this should be common sense to add, at any case the storyboarder can ask the mapset owner to remove his/her storyboard if the mapper deny to add their name to tags, to be honest this should be simple to resolve case by case, since just need both sides to agree in something~
As I said before don't need a rule for this.
Myxo
With the change of how the Ranking Criteria Subforum works from now on, topics like these are obsolete.