forum

NICODE - The Way we Were

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xilver15
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 5:13:10 PM

Artist: NICODE
Title: The Way we Were
Source: Deemo
BPM: 140
Filesize: 5663kb
Play Time: 02:00
Difficulties Available:
  1. EXTREME (5.26 stars, 628 notes)
Download: NICODE - The Way we Were
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Spaghetti
rank this
Topic Starter
Xilver15

Spaghetti wrote:

rank this
?????????????????
Lully
Please try to rank it. But wiff sum other Diffs.
Kroytz
requested

le mod
General: Might want to change difficulty name to Insane just because Extra/Expert/Extreme/etc diffs are usually reserved for 5.25*+ maps. If there would be an easier insane, you could also name this Insane+ or some variant but yeah xp
Change OD to 7-8 because 9 is too high and might want to consider lowering AR; 9 works fine for this level of difficulty. HP 6 as well because 7 is also high lol. 7 would be for a much harder diff cuz drain too op xd
First thing I do when I go to a map and mod is ctrl-a just so see what I'll be working with and this is what I see: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/4384722 It's not bad playfield usage, still some sides and corner areas you can touch on. Music is a little short to effectively hit these parts of the playfield I'm seeing, but it's something to consider for your future projects.

00:00:999 (1) - the repeats are overmapped as in, there are no supporting beats to warrant the usage of a repeat slider. If you wanna extend that initial sound, it's better to use a long slider.

00:01:856 (1) - Definitely undermapped beats here, and strong ones at that. I find this rhythm (illustration) to be more rhythmically sound. There's also a faint beat at 00:02:642 - if you wanna capture that as well, but not needed. The way you currently have it now is a little awkward because those dominant sounds aren't being clicked.

00:03:570 (1,2,3,4) - You could copy the above rhythm for this section as well. If what you're trying to do is simplify the rhythm (which I wouldn't really recommend unless you're trying to do an easier Insane) then 00:04:427 (4) - slider should end on the blue tick here 00:04:749 - to match how you did both of these slider here 00:03:570 (1,2) -. The rhythm should be consistent.

00:01:856 (1,2) - and 00:03:570 (1,2) - have inconsistent spacings for identical parts of the music. Notice the difference between the two: (Illustration 1) vs (Illustration 2). They don't necessarily have to be the exact same DS apart, but rather to maintain a similar 'feel' in spacing. The latter relationship is clearly too close together; need more spacing.

00:02:713 (4,5) - It also doesn't make sense to have (4)->(5) be spaced VERY close together when they are 1/2 apart in time, whereas (1)->(2) and (2)->(3) have MUCH larger spacing yet only being 1/4 apart. It's highly recommended to move (5) elsewhere on the map further from (4) as a means to emphasize that distance in time. (5) would also contain a clap hitsound as it's accompanied in the music, so that in and of itself is enough to emphasize through larger spacing.

00:04:856 (5) - same goes here in regards to larger spacing.

00:07:320 (2,3,4,5,6,1,2) - This I feel has a lack of structure. Why? Because when I highlight these together, the relationships between the streams to the slider to the shorter slider feel too...uneasy. This is just an example stream that might have more character than your current. But I personally feel that low DS'ing the stream to give more emphasis to the NC slider is better, something likethis where (6) and (1) would have a slight jump for that emphasis. The reason behind my (1,2) slider design is because blankets. They make things fit like a puzzle and look clean xd

00:09:999 (5) - this could be spaced further out to the right side so it has a more consistent jump feeling as these two sliders here 00:08:713 (1,2) - have created.

00:12:142 (1) - The music changes slightly here so it's better to make this slider into two 1/4 sliders to capture all 4 dominant beats.

00:12:570 (2,3,4,5,6,7,1) - I can't seem to find these jumps containing much structure. It's not a perfect square or rhombus, but just some sort of loose trapezoid circular flowing jumps which look awkward. I see how you're following those high-pitched beats but please don't neglect these strong drum sounds like over here 00:13:320 - There's also a sound over here 00:12:892 - that might be clickable but I'd suggest reworking this patterns to have a more fitting structure that captures all the strong beats if possible.

00:14:820 (4,5,6,7) - This is more of a design thing but it's a really good idea to have the sliders motion downwards as the music is moving down as well. It's a little conflicting to have upward moving sliders when music is moving down the scales yknow

00:15:892 (2) - this is overmapped. the stream really starts on that white tick so deleting (2) doesn't hurt anybody.

00:16:427 - this is a STRONG beat that NEEDS to be clicked, not neglected. See how this is clickable 00:16:856 (8) - . Do that same for the previous :V

00:18:999 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - This is a neat stream idea. I like this. One thing I wanna comment about this tho is perhaps changing the last 2 streams to help accompany the shift in tone that the music makes. Hanzer or fanzhen styled streaming could work for that latter half I'm finding.

00:21:570 (1) - In this small section, you have a few undermapped and overmapped beats. This is an example timeline that contains all the beats you could be working with (illustration). Alternatively, you could also use this (Illustration2) and make (3,4) have muted slider-ends so that (4) becomes clickable because there is a strong sound on that red tick as well. I prefer my 2nd suggestion.

00:22:427 (1) - shorten this slider by 1/8 so that it hits the red tick. I don't see why it would skip over that lol. Also, since the red tick is strong as well, you could end it 1/6 before the red tick and create two 1/3 sliders, (1) with a muted slider-end and make that red tick click-able.

00:23:177 (6) - don't forget to hit that dominant beat inside the (6). Those beats need to be clickable.

00:23:713 (7) - there's no reason to undermap this. Make (7,8) into two 1/4 sliders and things are good again.

00:24:999 (3,4,5,6) - I kinda find this design a little odd, mostly cuz the slider end on (6) has no real purpose. I'd have (6) look towards the left-side of the screen so there's at least a little bit of movement and direction with the design. Although, I'd probably choose a different design altogether because the music speeds up a little and has a higher pitch but you slow down the pacing instead which is, well, odd xd.

00:25:856 (1,2,3,4) - I don't think this should be the same spacing as the next streams because there are two faint beats in this one stream and I feel that's enough for this to be spaced a little lower. As in, it doesn't keep the same intensity with pitch volumes as the others for this to have similar DS as the oncoming streams.

00:26:927 (3,4,5) - This is very hard to read as 1/4 because the deviation in spacing is very minimal (especially for what this looks to be an Insane difficulty). you can make (3) to be a repeating slider and it'll work fine I suppose.

00:25:856 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3) - the stream design between all these is a little odd as well. Because there are three dominant drums you capture with jump streams, you can repeat the initial quad stream and rotate it by 120 degrees and make a triangle off of it. And outward facing triangle (Illustration or an inward facing triangle Illustration 2) I prefer the inward streams. This is just to utilize both structure and design together to create neat little things : D

00:27:856 (2,3,1,2,3,4) - this is a better example of separating two different rhythms in a continuous stream, much easier to read.

00:29:820 (4) - undermapped

00:30:142 (5) - Here's an example rhythm that's going on here (Illustration). Try and listen to the song at 25 or 50% and you can hear where these beats are. I'm pretty sure I missed some already within these 30 seconds I've modded lol. This song has a VERY tricky rhythm, definitely not easy to map.

00:42:142 (5,6,7,8) - I mean, this is cool (I guess? idk lol) but the movement gets halted here pretty fast for seemingly no reason. The player moves a lot up until this point where it plays like a hold and the music doesn't suggest for such a hold. In fact, because there is an inclusion of drums, this part should be even more moving than before.

00:47:284 (3,4,5,6) - Questionable spacing between all these. To tone down with the music, I'd move (6) much closer to (5) or probably just keep the spacing equal between them all. Square pattern or rhombus works. Something clean.

00:50:713 (3,4,5,6) - these should also technically be repeating sliders. What you could do is make these 4 beats lower SV and lower volume so it feels more musically sound.

00:53:606 (2) - overmapped

00:54:034 (5) - probably change this as a circle and make a 1/4 slider starting on 00:54:142 -

00:57:784 (1,2,3,4) - probably scrunch this up a little more to make it easier to read as 1/6 streams

01:04:106 (2) - I don't believe there is a note here... or here 01:04:534 (2) - or here 01:04:963 (2) -

Gonna take a break and maybe finish the rest later if you still want me to. Answer these for now and lemme know if you want the other half (I'll just edit this post). The main problem I'm finding in this diff is the rhythm especially (because this song is quite complex with its 1/4 and 1/6 deviation shenanigans) and structural things that you'd probably have to learn to understand through trial and error. Creating designs/aesthetics in accordance to the music is also important. You seem to have flow down somewhat, so that's pretty good at least.

5/7
Topic Starter
Xilver15

Kroytz wrote:

requested

le mod
General: Might want to change difficulty name to Insane just because Extra/Expert/Extreme/etc diffs are usually reserved for 5.25*+ maps. If there would be an easier insane, you could also name this Insane+ or some variant but yeah xp I know some old DJ TOTTO maps have 4star extremes I kinda went with that

Change OD to 7-8 because 9 is too high and might want to consider lowering AR; 9 works fine for this level of difficulty. HP 6 as well because 7 is also high lol. 7 would be for a much harder diff cuz drain too op xd done all except for AR change
'
First thing I do when I go to a map and mod is ctrl-a just so see what I'll be working with and this is what I see: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/4384722 It's not bad playfield usage, still some sides and corner areas you can touch on. Music is a little short to effectively hit these parts of the playfield I'm seeing, but it's something to consider for your future projects. noted!

00:00:999 (1) - the repeats are overmapped as in, there are no supporting beats to warrant the usage of a repeat slider. If you wanna extend that initial sound, it's better to use a long slider. disagree, i can hear the background drums being 1/6

00:01:856 (1) - Definitely undermapped beats here, and strong ones at that. I find this rhythm (illustration) to be more rhythmically sound. There's also a faint beat at 00:02:642 - if you wanna capture that as well, but not needed. The way you currently have it now is a little awkward because those dominant sounds aren't being clicked. You're right, I'll try to find a way to change it but currently out of ideas. I'll take yours into consideration!

00:03:570 (1,2,3,4) - You could copy the above rhythm for this section as well. If what you're trying to do is simplify the rhythm (which I wouldn't really recommend unless you're trying to do an easier Insane) then 00:04:427 (4) - slider should end on the blue tick here 00:04:749 - to match how you did both of these slider here 00:03:570 (1,2) -. The rhythm should be consistent. tbh these red ticks sliders were a mistake i was too lazy to change LOL

00:01:856 (1,2) - and 00:03:570 (1,2) - have inconsistent spacings for identical parts of the music. Notice the difference between the two: (Illustration 1) vs (Illustration 2). They don't necessarily have to be the exact same DS apart, but rather to maintain a similar 'feel' in spacing. The latter relationship is clearly too close together; need more spacing. Reduced the first instead to match with the second

00:02:713 (4,5) - It also doesn't make sense to have (4)->(5) be spaced VERY close together when they are 1/2 apart in time, whereas (1)->(2) and (2)->(3) have MUCH larger spacing yet only being 1/4 apart. It's highly recommended to move (5) elsewhere on the map further from (4) as a means to emphasize that distance in time. (5) would also contain a clap hitsound as it's accompanied in the music, so that in and of itself is enough to emphasize through larger spacing. done

00:04:856 (5) - same goes here in regards to larger spacing.^

00:07:320 (2,3,4,5,6,1,2) - This I feel has a lack of structure. Why? Because when I highlight these together, the relationships between the streams to the slider to the shorter slider feel too...uneasy. This is just an example stream that might have more character than your current. But I personally feel that low DS'ing the stream to give more emphasis to the NC slider is better, something likethis where (6) and (1) would have a slight jump for that emphasis. The reason behind my (1,2) slider design is because blankets. They make things fit like a puzzle and look clean xd I like that, changed

00:09:999 (5) - this could be spaced further out to the right side so it has a more consistent jump feeling as these two sliders here 00:08:713 (1,2) - have created. true

00:12:142 (1) - The music changes slightly here so it's better to make this slider into two 1/4 sliders to capture all 4 dominant beats. this creates kind of a spike in a slow part so i dont wanna do that

00:12:570 (2,3,4,5,6,7,1) - I can't seem to find these jumps containing much structure. It's not a perfect square or rhombus, but just some sort of loose trapezoid circular flowing jumps which look awkward. I see how you're following those high-pitched beats but please don't neglect these strong drum sounds like over here 00:13:320 - There's also a sound over here 00:12:892 - that might be clickable but I'd suggest reworking this patterns to have a more fitting structure that captures all the strong beats if possible. did a little kickslidery thing, i agree on lack of structure but i need general help in making jumps i have no idea how to make good ones :c

00:14:820 (4,5,6,7) - This is more of a design thing but it's a really good idea to have the sliders motion downwards as the music is moving down as well. It's a little conflicting to have upward moving sliders when music is moving down the scales yknow sorry but i dont know what you mean with "going down" :c pls explain

00:15:892 (2) - this is overmapped. the stream really starts on that white tick so deleting (2) doesn't hurt anybody. overmapped how? I can hear a piano sound at 2.

00:16:427 - this is a STRONG beat that NEEDS to be clicked, not neglected. See how this is clickable 00:16:856 (8) - . Do that same for the previous :V okie

00:18:999 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - This is a neat stream idea. I like this. One thing I wanna comment about this tho is perhaps changing the last 2 streams to help accompany the shift in tone that the music makes. Hanzer or fanzhen styled streaming could work for that latter half I'm finding. dunno what to change it to :c

00:21:570 (1) - In this small section, you have a few undermapped and overmapped beats. This is an example timeline that contains all the beats you could be working with (illustration). Alternatively, you could also use this (Illustration2) and make (3,4) have muted slider-ends so that (4) becomes clickable because there is a strong sound on that red tick as well. I prefer my 2nd suggestion. I prefer that too

00:22:427 (1) - shorten this slider by 1/8 so that it hits the red tick. I don't see why it would skip over that lol. Also, since the red tick is strong as well, you could end it 1/6 before the red tick and create two 1/3 sliders, (1) with a muted slider-end and make that red tick click-able. did the first suggestion, doing the second would kill the rhythm im trying to create with this

00:23:177 (6) - don't forget to hit that dominant beat inside the (6). Those beats need to be clickable. It doesn't follow the violin if I make it clickable :c

00:23:713 (7) - there's no reason to undermap this. Make (7,8) into two 1/4 sliders and things are good again. sry

00:24:999 (3,4,5,6) - I kinda find this design a little odd, mostly cuz the slider end on (6) has no real purpose. I'd have (6) look towards the left-side of the screen so there's at least a little bit of movement and direction with the design. Although, I'd probably choose a different design altogether because the music speeds up a little and has a higher pitch but you slow down the pacing instead which is, well, odd xd. still thinking of what I want to do with this, I did create the movement though so thx

00:25:856 (1,2,3,4) - I don't think this should be the same spacing as the next streams because there are two faint beats in this one stream and I feel that's enough for this to be spaced a little lower. As in, it doesn't keep the same intensity with pitch volumes as the others for this to have similar DS as the oncoming streams. reduced by 0.1

00:26:927 (3,4,5) - This is very hard to read as 1/4 because the deviation in spacing is very minimal (especially for what this looks to be an Insane difficulty). you can make (3) to be a repeating slider and it'll work fine I suppose. can't have fun with my maps i see :c

00:25:856 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3) - the stream design between all these is a little odd as well. Because there are three dominant drums you capture with jump streams, you can repeat the initial quad stream and rotate it by 120 degrees and make a triangle off of it. And outward facing triangle (Illustration or an inward facing triangle Illustration 2) I prefer the inward streams. This is just to utilize both structure and design together to create neat little things : D okie

00:27:856 (2,3,1,2,3,4) - this is a better example of separating two different rhythms in a continuous stream, much easier to read. these look ugly though :c

00:29:820 (4) - undermapped true but mapping that part would take away from the feel i wanted to give (rhythm was mostly taken off the map from Deemo, i wanted to replicate the same here)

00:30:142 (5) - Here's an example rhythm that's going on here (Illustration). Try and listen to the song at 25 or 50% and you can hear where these beats are. I'm pretty sure I missed some already within these 30 seconds I've modded lol. This song has a VERY tricky rhythm, definitely not easy to map. you're probably right but again, this is taken off Deemo's map which treated this part like that (Also the piano seems to compliment a 4-2 style so i just went with that)

00:42:142 (5,6,7,8) - I mean, this is cool (I guess? idk lol) but the movement gets halted here pretty fast for seemingly no reason. The player moves a lot up until this point where it plays like a hold and the music doesn't suggest for such a hold. In fact, because there is an inclusion of drums, this part should be even more moving than before. Naitoshi did the same thing with his PIUP collab part, it was inspired from that for drum emphasis so I'd like to keep it if the flow of it doesn't hurt it much :p

00:47:284 (3,4,5,6) - Questionable spacing between all these. To tone down with the music, I'd move (6) much closer to (5) or probably just keep the spacing equal between them all. Square pattern or rhombus works. Something clean. did a square, it flows better but it looks ugly as fuk help pls

00:50:713 (3,4,5,6) - these should also technically be repeating sliders. What you could do is make these 4 beats lower SV and lower volume so it feels more musically sound. done

00:53:606 (2) - overmapped ok i agree on this one

00:54:034 (5) - probably change this as a circle and make a 1/4 slider starting on 00:54:142 - did something different :p

00:57:784 (1,2,3,4) - probably scrunch this up a little more to make it easier to read as 1/6 streams kk

01:04:106 (2) - I don't believe there is a note here... or here 01:04:534 (2) - or here 01:04:963 (2) - yes but it takes away from the feel braahhh

Gonna take a break and maybe finish the rest later if you still want me to. Answer these for now and lemme know if you want the other half (I'll just edit this post). The main problem I'm finding in this diff is the rhythm especially (because this song is quite complex with its 1/4 and 1/6 deviation shenanigans) and structural things that you'd probably have to learn to understand through trial and error. Creating designs/aesthetics in accordance to the music is also important. You seem to have flow down somewhat, so that's pretty good at least. thanks!

5/7
Thanks so much! Great mod, I learned a lot.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.