forum

[invalid] [Web] Bans/punishments/warnings for necroposting in old topi

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Behon
This has been a big problem in the Skinning subforum. We often have a topic that hasn't had a post for months, possibly years, and some idiot who has only posted once or twice before makes a worthless post saying, "Nice skin!!!!!!! great job" that brings the topic back up and confuses everyone. Me and others have posted not to do this, but these morons don't listen. Can you make this a bannable offense, or at least add a stickied warning topic on the main page of the subforum?
adam2046
Because what we need in the skinning forum, is another sticky.
A ban is a bit silly and necroposts don't exactly hurt anyone and are just a bit annoying.
Maybe we could solve this with some sub-forums but I'm not exactly happy with that idea either.
TBTE
9 times out of ten they're not going to do it.
It's because that's not anything to ban anybody about.
This will probably be denied and you will still have to deal with those dumbasses
Derekku
I think I brought up the idea before of automatically locking a thread after it's been inactive for a long period of time (perhaps 6 months to a year), so I'll stick with that request. The majority of threads shouldn't need any new discussion if they've been inactive for such a long time anyway, so I don't think why locking them would hurt.

If that's not gonna happen, then warnings/punishments should be fair ground. Currently if threads get necro'd, they just get locked/wasted, which really doesn't stop people from continuing to do it.
Krisom
Also, please warn those who go there and start like "OMG you just necroposted you noob". Please just let the moderators take action.
Galkan

Derekku wrote:

Currently if threads get necro'd, they just get locked/wasted, which really doesn't stop people from continuing to do it.
Well, I think my revival on "What beatmap do you play to relax" thread isn't that harmful/annoying, is it?
qlum
not all necroposts are bad lets say someone necros an old skin to continue work on them or post additions to the skin it is a necropost but not a bad one just judge the post by the content and not by the fact that its a reply on a very old topic.
things like: awesome, lol and bump never make good posts no matter when they are posted
Firo Prochainezo
Maybe just automatically lock the thread after some time so people will stop bitching about it?
Cuddlebun
I really don't see the big deal, if it's just a useless post then...who cares? Why should that be a bannable offense?

I don't see how it's affecting anyone other than the "confusion".
James2250

Cuddlebun wrote:

I really don't see the big deal, if it's just a useless post then...who cares? Why should that be a bannable offense?
Pretty much agree with this. Does it really cause "such" a problem?
Claudia_old

Firo Prochainezo wrote:

Maybe just automatically lock the thread after some time so people will stop bitching about it?
oh my god this.
YuiiMugii

James2250 wrote:

Cuddlebun wrote:

Pretty much agree with this. Does it really cause "such" a problem?
You'd actually be surprised at how many times I've had to actually bump my own topic (my latest skin),
because it had fallen off the first page due to necroposts.
LuigiHann
I have a lot of old threads. If somebody posts "nice job!" on one of my old skins or maps, I'm happy to see it. Might inspire me to make more new stuff. Not everybody who was here two years ago is gone now.

I actually find the "omg nice necropost" posts to be more obnoxious.
Claudia_old

LuigiHann wrote:

I have a lot of old threads. If somebody posts "nice job!" on one of my old skins or maps, I'm happy to see it. Might inspire me to make more new stuff. Not everybody who was here two years ago is gone now.

I actually find the "omg nice necropost" posts to be more obnoxious.
Which is also true, and that's where some forums draw the line.
On one forum i'm a part of, necroposting is an infraction-able offense and repeated necroposting will result in a ban.
Other forums don't generally care as much.

However, I like the idea of necroposting being allowed for skin threads and map threads, and things such as old FAQs that were for some reason unstickied. For everything else, if a person repeatedly necroposts it shows that they're too stupid to notice the date of the last post and should be punished. Perhaps, after 2-3 offenses, a 24 hour 'forum ban' [no posting privileges], and people who are just flat-out stupid and necropost a dozen threads can get a longer forum ban [or in-game ban if they're one of those weird spambots].
Lilac
What LuigiHann said.

Ban those who complain about necroposting, not the ones who actually do it.
SapphireGhost
My opinion, for those who care
Necroposts that add something to the discussion don't really bother me. Unless it's a topic that people have said "Okay guys, we should really stop talking about this." And I have to agree with Luigi, if someone necroposts and nobody has a problem with it, then it's uncalled for to say "omg u liek necrod lololol" SO that's it.
FurukawaPan
it's REALLY stupid to make a forum rule about every little behavior that annoys you. Eventually you create an unenforceable mess that gets to the point that everyone has already at some point broken some rule and the mods can just start banning whoever they don't like at any given point in time by pulling some random infraction out of their bag.

Point being, keep forum rules simple and sensible. 9/10 necroposts that don't add anything can safely be ignored. Anything that creates a huge problem should be easily handled by a moderator *without* the need to start adding some stupid rule against posting in threads older than x months.
ShaggoN
I really don't understand this whole necroposting. Why it's so bad omg? If there's some new facts, you can post them in their subject, i mean in topic about it that already exists instead of creating new topic and making a mess on forums. :|
Topic Starter
Behon
The problem is that there are almost never new facts. A lot of the time they just post "COOL" in a skin whose creator left osu! a year ago, and they just clutter up the front page of the sub forum and make people think there's an update. It's super-annoying, and while the general consensus seems to be that bans are too much, something should still be done, like a front page stickied warning or something.
James2250

Behonkiss wrote:

while the general consensus seems to be that bans are too much, something should still be done, like a front page stickied warning or something.
If the people that are necroposting can't read the date of the late post I don't think they will read an announcement like that either
show more