forum

[invalid] [resolved] Let users choose their country flag

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Hyaagen
I want a simple change
See, I am vexillologyst, and flags for me is something bigger, than just an icon in the game. It is an mirrored ego, who has an mentality, religion traditions, ethnic group and more things in different way, than others flags can tell about their people. Many people can disagree with the srmi-stereotype, that flags are giving to us. For example, let's imagine, that I live in Sevastopol, it located in Crimea which is a part of... Russia? Ukraine!? >:( What if I recognise myself not as either and being an independent country? Truly to say, there is no formalities of term "country".Even part of Sebastopol people recognise the town like it's own country. And what if I am apolotitical? What if I don't agree with the Sevastopol, Crimea, Ukraine, Russia or united nations? Why Osu game don't know I'm Japanese and was born on Sahalin (which is an debatable territory as well)? :|
At that point, I need choice, an empty flag (no flag or just Osu flag), an micronation flag, a flag of debatable territory in 3 ways (in my imagined case, it will be flags of Russia, Ukraine, Crimea and Sevastopol), and a flag of homeland (it could be even the flag of the principality of lovely country, it counts as well. :!:
Thank you for reading this. :)
Bara-
I can understand the confusion because of the Crimea, and a choice would probably be best

Anyways, how did you post this w/o thread name O.o
Ephemeral
For the sake of simplicity (and sanity), osu!'s only reference to a player's geographical location is in their profile and essentially determines what scoreboard they submit to for country rankings. Any situation involving rapidly moving geopolitics is not going to be accurately reflected in how osu! determines what nationality a player "is" for the sake of those rankings - it is pretty much determined by a geoIP lookup on account registration and can only be changed thereafter by a support representative on request.

Adding such a complex feature would cause considerable concern for the relevancy of all country-based leaderboards, and I can't honestly see it happening in the near future. Apologies.
Topic Starter
Hyaagen

Baraatje123 wrote:

I can understand the confusion because of the Crimea, and a choice would probably be best

Anyways, how did you post this w/o thread name O.o
I happened really occasionally, I just got disconnected from Internet, when I tried to post without a title, it stayed at the loading page for time and loaded when Internet connected. Yes, I asked wtf too.
Topic Starter
Hyaagen

Ephemeral wrote:

For the sake of simplicity (and sanity), osu!'s only reference to a player's geographical location is in their profile and essentially determines what scoreboard they submit to for country rankings. Any situation involving rapidly moving geopolitics is not going to be accurately reflected in how osu! determines what nationality a player "is" for the sake of those rankings - it is pretty much determined by a geoIP lookup on account registration and can only be changed thereafter by a support representative on request.

Adding such a complex feature would cause considerable concern for the relevancy of all country-based leaderboards, and I can't honestly see it happening in the near future. Apologies.
Give players choice for flags, but still consider them at old region. Profit?
Sorry for dp
Flanster
Added an actual title :u
If it was something else, feel free to change it.
Ephemeral

Hyaagen wrote:

Ephemeral wrote:

Give players choice for flags, but still consider them at old region. Profit?
Sorry for dp

That would defeat the purpose of the account profile flags representing what country leaderboards a user is contributing to.
Bara-
I swear this is requested before, but can't find it
Topic Starter
Hyaagen

Flanster wrote:

Added an actual title :u
If it was something else, feel free to change it.
It's okay, thank you
FrzR
"I want to set my country to japan!! ^^ wwwwww"

I'd definitely prefer the way it is now.
BDWZ

FrzR wrote:

"I want to set my country to japan!! ^^ wwwwww"

I'd definitely prefer the way it is now.
that will lead to japan-country-flag-overload
agree with FrzR, the way it is now is fine~
MBomb
If you gave an issue with your country flag, such as yours, I'm pretty sure you can message accounts@ppy.sh (i think that's the email), and talk to them about it, and maybe have it changed if they think your reasoning is suitable.
LastExceed
Maybe don't give the opportunity to change it whenever you want, but let us choose when registering.
Stefan
If necessary you can change it when you get the wrong flag, as long you can proof the nationality and having your documents ready, following by contacting accounts@ppy.sh. The important informations has been pointed out.