forum

Am I playing the game wrong?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
icewolf159
I started playing Osu! since April and as of right now I'm can clear 4* maps but w/ a B or C usually. I have ~750 pp and am pretty much stuck in rank 160,000 no matter how much I play. I do not have any friends who play Osu! so I have no one to learn/get advice from and I been figuring out everything on my own up to this point. However, recently I began to look around and noticed that people who began playing around the same time as me has much higher ranks than me. So what am I doing wrong or am I just that bad?
shortpotato
well it's very likely that you just need to play more but the stickied threads on this forum should help you incase you are doing something 'wrong'
-Makishima S-
You are stuck becouse insteed playing what you can easiely FC, you spam 4* maps which are NOT FOR YOU right now.

Play moe.
Floob
Everyone progresses at a different rate than others. Don't focus on how quickly others around you are improving and focus on yourself.
dung eater
find things you are bad at and get better at them

it's up to you how you want to play the game, it awards some points for clicking on circles but it's up to you if that's your thing
Topic Starter
icewolf159

[Taiga] wrote:

You are stuck becouse insteed playing what you can easiely FC, you spam 4* maps which are NOT FOR YOU right now.

Play moe.
So how do I know if something is for me or not? If I can FC it? And I have read in multiple threads that you should do maps that are pushing you to the limit so you can improve. So that was wrong?
-Makishima S-
Pushing limits != playing maps what you cannot read and aim
If you get C && B (with acc below 90%) = map is not for you.
Play something where you have this 93-95% acc and not yet FCed and progress slowly on stars.
Saphirshroom
You know a map is at a suitable level for you when you can play it in a calm and concentrated fashion and you're not like "holy shit what is going on, press all the buttons".
Kunino Sagiri
me too
Endie-
stop thinking about ranks and enjoy the game
Nabel_old_1
Don't play the same maps over and over again and don't spam that retry button.
I Give Up
Am I playing the game wrong?
vsprite
Play more
Rilene
if you are getting many misses or low accuracy (depends on OD) then you are pushing too far
N0thingSpecial

Nabel wrote:

Don't play the same maps over and over again and don't spam that retry button.
*look at comment*
*look at my history*
*sees a 411 retry on a song*
*crawl into a fetal position and cry myself to sleep*

on a serious note play maps that you know you can get an A if you try hard enough
ninja12345
I am a drummer and I suck at this game in acc, I cant get more than 92% on an hard/insane song.

So I started investigating the matter, and I came at the conclusion that I need a good keyboard because laaaaaaag, my keyboard right now has like 40ms delay haha no s1hit I wasn't getting any closer to 97% or something like that, im gonna buy a mechanical keyboard with 1ms delay and all that good stuff and see if something changes.

So, maybe you have the same problem as I or are you sure that u don't have any huge lag/input delay in your keyboard, mouse, tablet etc...?
Saphirshroom

ninja12345 wrote:

So I started investigating the matter, and I came at the conclusion that I need a good keyboard because laaaaaaag, my keyboard right now has like 40ms delay haha no s1hit I wasn't getting any closer to 97% or something like that, im gonna buy a mechanical keyboard with 1ms delay and all that good stuff and see if something changes.
Unless you're using a keyboard released in 1990 chances are you're making up excuses.
-Makishima S-

Saphirshroom wrote:

ninja12345 wrote:

Unless you're using a keyboard released in 1990 chances are you're making up excuses.

I still own old IBM keyboard for DIN-8 port (AT standard). It reminds me that somewhere in attic i still have 80486SX PC, sadly broken :(.
TFW i completly dont know how it could work but keys there feel kinda similar to mechanical.
// just OT ;w;

OP - you retry waaaaaaaay too much. As @Nothingspecial said - do not retry that much, 2 - 3 plays of a map i think its enough.

IMO max 10 retry if you are realy confident that "i can fc this '1 miss' part" but for some reason get random sliderbreaks / other misses, then leave map alone for another time.

It's just my own explanation for myself but let your muscle memory compute all informations what they gather about SUCCESSFULL and PROPER play of map. Don't even continue playing something where you start getting random hand movements.
buny
Are you clicking the circles?
Topic Starter
icewolf159

[Taiga] wrote:

Play something where you have this 93-95% acc and not yet FCed and progress slowly on stars.
I tried doing easier maps for 2 days and it really helped. I went back to 3 star maps and FC and S everything basically. Thanks for the suggestion!

a loli wrote:

Are you clicking the circles?
On 4 star maps I am hitting most circles but I tend to miss around 1 every 20-30. Often times after a longer jump my hand shakes from the quick sudden stop and screws up because my cursor left the circle from the shaking. (I play with minimum area on my tablet so it makes the shaking worse)
ninja12345

Saphirshroom wrote:

ninja12345 wrote:

Yeah I know the probable thing is that but I looked the response time for my keyboard and it was like 40ms and I did a couple of tests but is the same thing that happened to me in csgo, I bought a gaming mouse, not a bad one but when I dropped for a really good one I could easily tell the difference with the lag.
Really tried to play the songs with perfect rhythm disabling effects and etc, I know i was on point but well how can anyone play with a normal awful keyboard.

When i get a good one I won't have any excuses hehe
-Makishima S-
On 4 star maps I am hitting most circles but I tend to miss around 1 every 20-30.
Missing / sliderbreaking every 20-30 notes is terrible, sorry, no hate or anything, it's honest truth. It just indicate that this map isn't for you at all.
Missing / sliderbreaking occassionaly and being able to keep up high combo with decent acc makes map proper training ground - that's whats called challenging yourself in proper way.
Not challenging map is one what you can FC within 1-2-3 plays.
Personaly, i don't have this kind of problems but my progression is like it is - slow but stedy. 200pp per 1-1,5 month while i spend a lot of time playing maps betwin 4 and 4,5 star while already like 70% of them doesn't give me pp is like hidden key. You actualy need to fiscover it yourself why.
I can just tell you that while my pp and comfortable ground of maps is betwin 4,4-4,6* whenever i jump into map like Halozy Paranoid Lost which is afair 5,2*, my first run on it was 95% acc below 10 misses. Simple reason: a lot of practice focused on aim and acc on patterns and i can assure you - if you play A LOT of maps in your skill range, high variety of maps, you actualy learn a lot.

Just don't fuckin retry. ~80% of my top rank plays are below 20 plays.
N0thingSpecial

[Taiga] wrote:

~80% of my top rank plays are below 20 plays.
*further crawl into a fetal position and drown in the voices in my head*
show more