forum

any way to get rid of this tablet smoothing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ohrami
http://puu.sh/mvL85.png

using tablet driver 6.3.9w5, supposed to have the least amount of smoothing but you can still see when i draw a circle it comes out with several straight lines instead of just a circle.

CTH-470 tablet
Infevo

Ohrami wrote:

using tablet driver 6.3.9w5, supposed to have the least amount of smoothing but you can still see when i draw a circle it comes out with several straight lines instead of just a circle.
This is not smoothing. Keep in mind your tablet only can register as many as 133 positions per second. And since tablets are not developed to perfectly follow your pen movements during fast motions you will always experience these straight lines.

It is sad though, considering that many artists love painting with rather quick motions.
Bauxe
Even smoothed, those lines wouldn't be there. This is an entirely different problem.
Topic Starter
Ohrami

Infevo wrote:

Ohrami wrote:

This is not smoothing. Keep in mind your tablet only can register as many as 133 positions per second. And since tablets are not developed to perfectly follow your pen movements during fast motions you will always experience these straight lines.

It is sad though, considering that many artists love painting with rather quick motions.
my gf has the cth-670 and with her default drivers didn't get this issue, only got it once i had her download the 6.3.10w5 driver.
Endaris
Maybe the 6.3.9w5 just gives a snappy feeling due to antismoothing.
ZenithPhantasm
Window's cursor report rate is locked at 125hz
Infevo

Bauxe wrote:

Even smoothed, those lines wouldn't be there. This is an entirely different problem.
It is not a "problem". It is working as intended.

If you make a quick, circle-like movement with your cursor across the whole screen covering 10k pixels in the process during 200ms (around 27 input signals at 133hz during 0.2s) your output device naturally will not be capable of covering the other 9973 points (due to missing data) subsequently resulting in straight lines in between each of these 27 positions. Same thing happens to mouse in osu! @1000hz input device refresh rate and a framerate above 1000 (program logic is still based on fps) but to a less noticable extent since the signal rate is much higher.

What smoothing does is interpolating all the "missing data" in between the "existing data" which was sent by your input device. And the dependent on algorithm complexity and processing power this will result in more or less input lag.
I Give Up
Drawing perfect arcs does not matter as cursor position is relative to tablet position unlike mouse tracking. 125Hz might be a little hard on reaction time if you wanna ar11 though.
Topic Starter
Ohrami
my gf insists that before i gave her the supposedly smoothed drivers that her circles were actually circular. wondering how i can get this as well
shortpotato
im assuming u have tried uninstalling and then installing the older driver??

if not den have u tried fixmypen
Hydrogen PeroX
You know if you just turn off mouse buttons and just always make it so you pen touches the tablet (only when playing) it will get fixed, well i used this trick for my XP pen star g640 REV B, which is the worse one. but i got past it XD
crvsh

Hydrogen PeroX wrote:

You know if you just turn off mouse buttons and just always make it so you pen touches the tablet (only when playing) it will get fixed, well i used this trick for my XP pen star g640 REV B, which is the worse one. but i got past it XD
you're like 5 years late..
Hydrogen PeroX
ok