forum

Curious as to how you get good

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Synli_old
Hi all I just started playing. Obviously practice is the only way to improve but in what way? Repeat the same few beatmaps and get used to it or keep playing random beatmaps to train reflexes? Moreover you guys who completely smash difficult beatmaps, do you simply keep playing it over and over or are you able to pick it up and demolish it after a few plays?
Rilene
Just simply practice, you will get used and can play higher difficulty over time.
Endie-

Rilene wrote:

Just simply practice, you will get used and can play higher difficulty over time.
Pretty much this^

Oh and

You should ask here instead
wiken
Wrong section but oh well.

For me, I would try to less retry the same difficulty AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Like you've said, playing random maps that I want to play with.
Now for the "smash difficult beatmaps" question. It depends, if I think the map is way too difficult for me to pass it or FC it I would avoiding it and try the next time when I got better. I do sometimes retry maps that I want to pass or FC but that's only when I'm entering my tryhard mode.

In the end, it's just play more and get good.
vsprite
Play more

At your rank you will improve while playing literally anything so play songs that u enjoy
Kunino Sagiri
you must have bodybuilder arm muscles in order to play difficult beatmaps
Rilene

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

you must have bodybuilder arm muscles in order to play difficult beatmaps
try abuse steroid for better result
-Makishima S-
Over 40k beatmaps
Simply just playing whatever i feel like
There is no magic in this

Also:

3 topics "how do i get better" on first page.
Srs
Learn to use search function.
DeathHydra

[Taiga] wrote:

3 topics "how do i get better" on first page.
Srs
Learn to use search function.
Don't be mad they are just new.
Vuelo Eluko
i only play old or unsubmitted/unranked maps
N0thingSpecial
I have a shrine dedicated to doomsday
-Makishima S-

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Mine is to Cinia Pacifica
StephOsu

Synli wrote:

Moreover you guys who completely smash difficult beatmaps
if you think that good player does this you are wrong
only bad player does this

N0thingSpecial wrote:

i have a shrine dedicated to cookie-sama and eroge master hvick-sama
Vuelo Eluko

StephOsu wrote:

Synli wrote:

if you think that good player does this you are wrong
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/MinG3012
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/bes_joker
silento
Set goals. Do you get 85% acc? Push it to 90%, then repeat until you FC with an acc you are happy with (depends on person; for pp purposes, <99% is good, but I like 95% for example). Find stuff to improve and work on, and take it slowly.
silento

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

snip
You're forgetting https://osu.ppy.sh/u/elysion.
gregest
HOLY CRAP THIS THREAD MADE ME CRY WHAT IS THIS QUESTION
Vuelo Eluko

TheArchist wrote:

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

snip
You're forgetting https://osu.ppy.sh/u/elysion.
if i had just linked him it wouldnt be apparent as to why, all those unranked mash master passes like shut down everything arent part of his top ranks and hes got pretty decent global accuracy.
Cookiedipp
It's normal to struggle in the beginning, but you will eventually see a lot of improvement if you keep playing. Take it slow and build up skill, there is no race to get to the Hards and Insanes. You will feel a lot more prepared to play them once you've built up a foundation.

What someone has already mentioned, set small goals for yourself! Play a variety of maps to get exposed to different patterns and mapping styles. Try not to retry the same map a million times in one day. I made that mistake in the beginning and it actually made my progress slower.

But once you feel you are improving, make it a goal to get good accuracy on maps. Shoot for FCs with an accuracy of 98% or higher. Start with one star maps and slowly make your way up in star difficulty. Its also good sometimes to go a little out of your comfort zone and try a map thats a bit more difficult then what your used to playing. But stay away from the harder difficulties for now and works on basics.

Just keep playing, the improvement will come. Trust me, eventually maps that you felt were a bit tricky in the beginning eventually feel super easy later on.
shortpotato
play more
StephOsu

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/u/MinG3012
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/bes_joker
You win... this time.......
E m i
I have a shrine dedicated to Mizuki-
Falling Snow
At your rank, I would suggest this. Play all maps, and play every map. You're a very low rank and haven't been playing for very long, and that's okay, everyone started out at that rank. I did, you will, even the top players did. Nobody was a god from the start. Being a low rank, you just want to play as many beatmaps as you can, and get as much experience as you can. Don't replay maps, as this is the curse of every inconsistent player in the game. You won't be able to see it now, but inconsistency sadly starts to show very often at higher ranks. Also don't play mods, except hidden. Every new player seems to love doing this, but there's no real added benefit because the added difficulty is negligible. If the maps you play are becoming too was, don't play with mods, just play harder maps. Its far more beneficial in the long run. Hidden is an exception as it is used in almost every different mod combination in existence, and is also just a good mod to learn overall.

This is more important when you're around low (10k) 5 digit or 4 digit rankings but is still useful to know
There's a key to learning and getting better at any skill, and thats self-evaluation. At your rank currently (1.6m), self-evaluation isn't going to do you much good because your skills aren't really developed to any major degree. Again, this is okay, everybody was there at some point. But as you get better and your start seeing your strengths and weaknesses (my strengths for example are jumping and reading, while my weaknesses are speed, fast streaming and high approach rates). This is a point where you'll want start self-evaluating and start refining your skills. I only just started now even though I'm mid 3 digits. Its all dependant on your best judgement call. Start looking at your weaknesses and do things to improve them. Lets just say though that your weakness is streaming. Don't just play solid stream maps that have no aim component to them at all. Find maps that challenge every aspect of skill, or most of them, but maybe focus most on streams, and train on those maps. That way you won't accidentally bottleneck yourself by training only one skill. Then, do it again. Re-evaluate yourself, and do it often. Get good at it. You'll find you'll get a lot better a lot faster when you train your weaknesses.

The last thing I'm going to say is to always challenge yourself, but know your limits. Sure you're rank 1.6m and could just play 6 stars all day, but that's not going to benefit you because 6 stars is way beyond your limit. Instead, find your comfort zone, and then move a little bit outside of it. Not too much at first, but as your skill level grows, you can challenge yourself more and go further outside your comfort zone.

So if I had to sum this up, it's a waste of time I could have spent doing school work. But seriously, my basic suggestion to you is this. Play every map you can, develop your skills, don't worry about mods until you're higher ranked, challenge yourself but not too much, eventually begin evaluating and refining your weaknesses, don't retry often, don't hurt yourself (learn the difference between pain and burning, burning is good, pain is not) and have fun. It's a game after all.
shortpotato

Falling Snow wrote:

At your rank, I would suggest this. Play all maps, and play every map. You're a very low rank and haven't been playing for very long, and that's okay, everyone started out at that rank. I did, you will, even the top players did. Nobody was a god from the start. Being a low rank, you just want to play as many beatmaps as you can, and get as much experience as you can. Don't replay maps, as this is the curse of every inconsistent player in the game. You won't be able to see it now, but inconsistency sadly starts to show very often at higher ranks. Also don't play mods, except hidden. Every new player seems to love doing this, but there's no real added benefit because the added difficulty is negligible. If the maps you play are becoming too was, don't play with mods, just play harder maps. Its far more beneficial in the long run. Hidden is an exception as it is used in almost every different mod combination in existence, and is also just a good mod to learn overall.

This is more important when you're around low (10k) 5 digit or 4 digit rankings but is still useful to know
There's a key to learning and getting better at any skill, and thats self-evaluation. At your rank currently (1.6m), self-evaluation isn't going to do you much good because your skills aren't really developed to any major degree. Again, this is okay, everybody was there at some point. But as you get better and your start seeing your strengths and weaknesses (my strengths for example are jumping and reading, while my weaknesses are speed, fast streaming and high approach rates). This is a point where you'll want start self-evaluating and start refining your skills. I only just started now even though I'm mid 3 digits. Its all dependant on your best judgement call. Start looking at your weaknesses and do things to improve them. Lets just say though that your weakness is streaming. Don't just play solid stream maps that have no aim component to them at all. Find maps that challenge every aspect of skill, or most of them, but maybe focus most on streams, and train on those maps. That way you won't accidentally bottleneck yourself by training only one skill. Then, do it again. Re-evaluate yourself, and do it often. Get good at it. You'll find you'll get a lot better a lot faster when you train your weaknesses.

The last thing I'm going to say is to always challenge yourself, but know your limits. Sure you're rank 1.6m and could just play 6 stars all day, but that's not going to benefit you because 6 stars is way beyond your limit. Instead, find your comfort zone, and then move a little bit outside of it. Not too much at first, but as your skill level grows, you can challenge yourself more and go further outside your comfort zone.

So if I had to sum this up, it's a waste of time I could have spent doing school work. But seriously, my basic suggestion to you is this. Play every map you can, develop your skills, don't worry about mods until you're higher ranked, challenge yourself but not too much, eventually begin evaluating and refining your weaknesses, don't retry often, don't hurt yourself (learn the difference between pain and burning, burning is good, pain is not) and have fun. It's a game after all.

This is gold

too bad it had to be said in a shitty thread
do u mind if i quote you?
The Gambler

Falling Snow wrote:

-snip-
Oh hey, welcome to G&R.

Also as nice as your rant is, you'd wanna put that in your userpage instead. It will be wasted on a thread like this, no matter how golden it is.

I'm waiting for the day you can compete in OWC. So please, play more HR.
ZenithPhantasm

The Gambler wrote:

Falling Snow wrote:

-snip-
Oh hey, welcome to G&R.

Also as nice as your rant is, you'd wanna put that in your userpage instead. It will be wasted on a thread like this, no matter how golden it is.

I'm waiting for the day you can compete in OWC. So please, play more HR.
He's been to GnR before.
- Milhofo -
You can get pretty far just by playing songs you like, I did that for a long time, then just alternate between those songs and some others that give you more pp if you're going for it. Just never retry the same map too many times in a row though, because that'll make you tired of the game pretty quickly, as long as you enjoy the songs you play, you'll enjoy the game. This will only work if your music tastes are available in osu of course :b

Also Falling Snow was correct in everything, don't let his post go to waste!
buny
play more™
Barusamikosu

Falling Snow wrote:

-snip-
Thank you.
kouzuki_karen
p.ractice
show more