forum

osu! updating error, win 7 [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Akazu_old
Hello and thanks for osu =)

I'm running osu! on a Win7 x64-based operation system, and I have for quite some time been able to play and enjoy osu. A few months ago, osu wanted to update... Which it wouldn't let me. I re-downloaded osume.exe, I've done a clean install multiple times, I've tried running it in compability modes for Win Vista (SP2) and Win XP (SP3), but neither works when trying to run the updater. I've also tried to research this a lot, browsing this forum and reading error topics without any luck of solving this so far. This is the error I get, all the time:

Today I tried everything above again, without luck. Still the same. The only way for me to be able to play has so far been asking a friend to update his game, then have him send his osu-folder to me excluding songs and replays. While this is an "okay" solution, it's less okay when it's updated as often as it's been lately. Also, it pretty much annoys me that I can't update on my own. I can play as offline, it starts without a problem, but I can't update at all without getting said crash. I have Microsoft .NET framework 4.0, and I've tried installing the microsoft .NET framework 2.0, but it's already a part of my operating system.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this? I miss my osu :|
Thanks in advance.
/Akazu
Fabi
I have googled and found that a lot of people are having problems with some programs on x64. You can try fixing your registry and re-install it at Program Files, run osume.exe with admin permission and also XP SP2 compatibility. You can try deleting osu.cfg and osu![Username].cfg
Topic Starter
Akazu_old

Ever17 wrote:

I have googled and found that a lot of people are having problems with some programs on x64. You can try fixing your registry and re-install it at Program Files, run osume.exe with admin permission and also XP SP2 compatibility. You can try deleting osu.cfg and osu![Username].cfg
I'm not sure as how to fix my registry, but I've uninstalled all Osu's I have (and deleted possible files left), I installed it at Program Files (x86), I deleted osu.cfg and the other one, but I'm still getting the same error :( I run everything as admin that I can.
About the registry; I'm very careful of poking around in there, so I'd rather not unless I know exactly what I'm looking for and where.
jseah
Posting to say I'm having the same problem. (also using win7 x64)

Interestingly, a reinstalled copy of osu forces an update (throwing this error) and quits instead of asking me if I want to update.
I have had to fall back to an older version of osu.

I have used Dependency Walker to check for .dll incompatibilities in osume and turned up a number of problems:
IESHIMS.dll is missing. Setting the environment path variable to the IE (x86) in program files solved this problem.

The problems I can't solve involve every single .dll under MSCOREE.dll (but not that one) is a 64bit .dll, while osume isn't a 64bit program.
I am not sure if this would generate a problem.

--------------------------

Forcing update essentially prevents me from playing the new version. Perhaps this could be fixed?

NOTE: the fresh install copy (midnight GMT+8, 8 August 2011) still forces an update. So that cannot be used at all.
Xay
Posted it in the announcement thread for the newest update and I will post it here; I have the same problem and same error code as the OP stated.
Regnall
Exactly the same problem here. I really miss my osu! ; _ ;
SENF_old
haha same problem
Before update all did work perfectly but now I cant play anymore :(
Sakura
If u started getting the problems after the update, but before it was fine, it's better for you to post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59495
jseah
The problem that happens in the new version (dled and installed recently) is that update is forced to happen.

This is only a problem because the updater doesn't work. If the updater worked fine, then this would not be a problem.
peppy
Please try getting the new version of the updater from here:
http://osu.ppy.sh/release/osume.exe
Replace your existing updater and try running.
Earlie_old
peppy you're a legend, that fixed the problem I was having :) thanks a million
Regnall
Oh nice, that did work. Thanks a ton peppy.