forum

Show average BPM in song selction.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Sea_Food
So atm in song selection we can see the songs miminum BPM, maximum BPM, and the BPM that is most persistent in the song (in brackets.) Example:

Now this is pretty misleading. It shows 132BPM being the most persistant BPM in the song. Which is true, but it does not mean much as the 132BPM only last for 18seconds, out of which 14.5 seconds is intro. Meaning there is only 3.5seconds of drain time with 132BPM. Now if it instead showed the average BPM of the song, it would show us a BPM of about 190 which would be much more accurate in describing the song.

Then again there is the opposite example:

This shows the most persistant BPM to be 181BPM. But I can know is the 181BPM for 1minute or 4minutes. This means that the song migth be 543BPM for even 2minutes. Well infact the 181BPM is for literally 99.8% of the song. Meaning that if the avrage BPM would be showed, it would give us a value of 182BPM, which would again be much more informative. Sure the 181BPM value it gives us is close to the actual avrage, but the thing is no way you can know that.

Fix it.
Full Tablet
When the feature of showing bpm on song selection screen was added, initially it showed the average BPM in the parenthesis, but this was changed since the shown BPM might not correspond to any BPM actually present in the song.

In the second example, the bpm was changed just to change the effective SV (not because of the song), something that is not allowed with current ranking criteria.
Topic Starter
Sea_Food
lol why? You get the minimum and maximum BPMs which are both actual BPMs present in the song. At best, the way it currently works gives you a 3rd value out of who knows how many values actually present in the song. Sure you could make the argument if someone wants to practice 200BPM, it does not help much playing a with BPMs of only 160BPM and 230BPM with average of 200. But if a player wants to play specific BPM, he should play maps where the BPM stays constant trough the whole song anyway. Plenty of those.

If anything the brackets should at least show the median BPM. That would fix the problem in my 1st example.
Bara-
The most present one isn't correct
On Irre's map that should be 260 (as the whole kiai is 260 afaik)
Not sure what it should show though
Seijiro
Isn't this more like a bug?
The value within parenthesis should show the most persistent BPM as all of you said already, not a random one.
Maybe I should search for this in the Help subforum because it's really strange
Topic Starter
Sea_Food

MrSergio wrote:

Isn't this more like a bug?
The value within parenthesis should show the most persistent BPM as all of you said already, not a random one.
Maybe I should search for this in the Help subforum because it's really strange
That is how it works, its not a random one. On my first example it gives value of 132 because all of the other BPMs in the song last less than 14seconds individually.

I dont know what map baraatje is talking about as there no beatmaps made by neither username Irre or artist Irre.
Bara-
Irre=irreversible
I forgot that the begin/end are all 130 BPM
Endaris
This is so edgy, it would be contraproductive for 90% of songs with more than 1 individual bpm-values. Imo it's more valuable to see the most prevalent bpm in the majority of cases instead of an average bpm even if it may be useful in a small amount of cases. Image Material's median-bpm is like 80. Complete bullshit.
I'm against this.
Topic Starter
Sea_Food

Endaris wrote:

Image Material's median-bpm is like 80.
More than half of image material is 260bpm. This means the median bpm has to be 260. Learn to math.
Endaris
Nvm, forgot about using weightage.
Charize
Median value makes sense, but I'm kind of unsure how it works now. Is it because it takes the most used BPM even when most of that time is break/intro? So this is only a problem with songs that have longer intro's than the actual song, and out of those its only those that have different BPM in those two sections?

Isn't this a really limited problem that would cause more problems that it would solve?

EDIT: Actually reread your first example, so this map changes BPM consistantly and often during the map? Making the first 18s the longest strip of the exact same BPM? Still wondering how many maps this would help compared to mess up. A map with < 50% of one BPM and the other half has at least one BPM shift it would change it from the most prominent to one of the shorter ones. If the prominent BPM does not have both slower and faster it would mess it up imo.
Are these types of maps not way more common than maps that have their most prominent BPM mostly in breakes/intros ?
Topic Starter
Sea_Food
I actually have no idea what you are trying to ask but I try anyway. What quickly comes to mind is every Compilation map.
abraker
Average BPM nor any single value will solve the issue in giving useful enough info for us to be satisfactory with it all the time. I think a high, low and the current display of overall BPM (the one in perenthesis) will give enough info, but won't cover edge cases like the songs compilation example Sea_Food mentioned.
Stefan
Average BPM sounds way more vague than the most persistant BPM. At all, it looks more this needs some rework.
Bara-
Not sure if it's possible to implement, but isn't it best to let it show the BPM of where you are listening?
If you listen to the start of IM it displays 130, at the middle 260, and at the calm parts 28-130 (ofc the exact value)
Topic Starter
Sea_Food

Baraatje123 wrote:

Not sure if it's possible to implement, but isn't it best to let it show the BPM of where you are listening?
If you listen to the start of IM it displays 130, at the middle 260, and at the calm parts 28-130 (ofc the exact value)
Should be really easy to implement. I think the osu! logo in bottom rigth goes to the current BPM of the song. So they numrical value is there, but its just not shown.

But I dont think that would be useful at all. You cant scroll trough the song in song selection in any way. And some beat mappers put the preview point at the last 10seconds of the song.

The song stats part in song selection has the purpose to best describe what the beatmap is like. Preview point BPM hardly does that.
Vuelo Eluko
in my opinion if avg bpm does no display an actual value that happens in the map it is utterly useless. i dont use it to know to which end of the min-max bpm its more leaning towards, the numbers mentally prepare me to go a certain speed. ive started maps at random that felt like i had to full alt them but then i went and checked the bpm to see it was like 284 or something and the mental block would be gone and i could full singletap it, for examples sake.
Kibbleru
or you can just make it show the most prominent bpm (longest lasting?)
abraker

Kibbleru wrote:

A marathon map, say 20 min. Half is 60 BPM and the other half is 240 BPM. Then what?
Kibbleru

abraker wrote:

Kibbleru wrote:

A marathon map, say 20 min. Half is 60 BPM and the other half is 240 BPM. Then what?
then showing the average wouldnt help either.