forum

Dynamic Rankings

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +14
Topic Starter
Oliv3r_old

Dynamic Rankings

-by Oliv3r

Hello Osu! community and staff, I am here today(and for the first in the forums) to explain an idea that I had some days ago for a new ranking behaviour in Osu!.
I think most of you guys have wondered, at least one time in your lifes: Why am I ranking higher than some people if I just made a regular score? Do all these people are really active and play regularly, so I am getting better in the game?

Then, you might have realized, that you are getting better than quiters most of the time, with some active players.

How would this work?

The main idea is to deactivate quiters from the Osu! rankings and make it cleaner, so the highly competitive players would be able to compete with players with the same skill level easier through the game.
In a certain period of the time, if "X" player stop playing "Y" game mode for a "Z" period of time "X" player will become rankless.

His total PP, and all PP scores will remain, but he won't be in the "Y" game mode rankings because he doesn't play it anymore, or he went in a vacation for "Z" period of time and won't be playing for this time, so no need to compete, right?

Obviously, when he plays again "Y" game mode, he will enter the rankings again and will be back competing with other players in the same skill level.

My criteria suggestions(IMO).

Inserting the ideas in a chart, I saw that most of the players that doesn't play for a month with less than 100pp actually quited. And the players with less than 1000pp that doesn't play for months actually quited too. - this is an example. I don't know the right statistics

By the common sense, we can actually see that this guys are more than 90% of the osu rankings, I mean those huge numbers arround 1 million in the rankings. -> I don't know the right statistics

In my opinion a good chart would be like that:
FROM LOW POSITION TO HIGH POSITION
1. The third 90% of the players have a period of a month to make at least one score and prove that is an active player, if they doesn't make any score within a month, they will become rankless.
2. The second 5% of the players have a period of two weeks to make at least one score and prove that is an active player, if they doesn't make any score within two weeks, he or she will become rankless.
3.The first 5% of the players have a period of one week to make at least one score and prove that is an active player, if they doesn't make any score within a week, they will become rankless.

This is only my opinion of how it could be. I will be changing if I get a new idea and suggestion from community!

Examples

1- I am Oliv3r, and I used to play "Catch the beat" mode for example, but then, when I met Taiko I just fell in love for it. I couldn't stand playing any other mode. I was part of 90% players, it means my rank wasn't high anyway right? Passed a month and haven't even touched Catch the beat, I became rankless!

However, my scores and total pp are untouched, so when I want to play catch the beat again, I enter the rankings!

Months passed, and I been totally into Taiko, but now I am feelling like cathching some fruits. Oh well, I just remembered how funny it was! I just played a map, and I'm back to rankings!

3 months passed, and I got like 10k plays, you can see how addicted I am to catch the beat again! I got rankless on taiko because I don't play it much more, you know... My scores are still there so I plan to play it again someday! Now I am part of the second 5% players its means I have to play at least one time in 2 weeks time period. Let's pratice!

More exemples soon~~

Conclusion

By the end of this thread, I conclude that Dynamic Rankings would clean inactive or quited players and create a higher competitivety between active players.

By doing this:
- The ranking numbers will decrease significantly and will remain only the active players!
- It will be funny to compare total PP with each other in the rankings! We can find new friends in a easier way and pratice together!
- You won't be getting better than 1000 inactive players, but getting better than some people that pratice with you!

To achieve this suggestion, or project, I will read every and each comment or suggest and post in a specific box. During this time we can decide how it can be a good way to change the behaviour of Osu! Rankings.
Please keep in mind that we can't suggest things alone, we are all a huge community! If you approve this, help!

I will thank every and each player that suggests something in this thread, help me with grammar, or help me in any way to this suggestion.

Thanks!
:arrow: Thanks to <span style='color:#FF0000'>Sora Momoiro</span> - Helped with grammar and speaking. :)
:arrow: Thanks to <span style='color:#FF0000'>Sea_Food</span> - Helped with the chart, numbers and unintentionally gave me some ideas, lol. :)

What are you waiting to participate? I appreciate every comment.
Thread Changelog
It is in Brasilia time.
01/09/2016, 7:56PM - Added changelog box
- Made minor grammar, speaking and color changes with <span style='color:#FF0000'>Sora Momoiro</span> help.
- Started planning changes on the chart and other minor changes thanks to <span style='color:#FF0000'>Sea_Food</span> -> changes are private ATM.
01/09/2016, 9:02PM - Added NOTES.

NOTES: - Very important to read before commenting.(Thanks to abraker and Zekker for intentionally or not giving me this idea)
:arrow: This is meant to be applied only in the overall rankings(all+country).
:arrow: No scores will be lost
:arrow: Score rankings won't be touched, it means, you made #10 or #1 in a beatmap, or any whatever ranking, it wont be invisible. It will remain untouched.
:arrow: The Idea will only make the overall rankings cleaner, it means, will only change some numbers and will make it easier to browse through the rankings in the website, to search for players arround your skil level.
Sea_Food
Oh wow. A rookie went trough all this trouble to write this long post. Colors and everything.

Anyway let me tell you this. What you suggested used to be a feature in this game, but it got removed. I cant be arsed to remember why, but it does not bother me.

Also your numbers are kinda skewed. There are millions of accounts in this game. I am a total scrub, but even I would be top 5% in every game mode if we count in everyone.
Topic Starter
Oliv3r_old

Sea_Food wrote:

Oh wow. A rookie went trough all this trouble to write this long post. Colors and everything.

Anyway let me tell you this. What you suggested used to be a feature in this game, but it got removed. I cant be arsed to remember why, but it does not bother me.

Also your numbers are kinda skewed. There are millions of accounts in this game. I am a total scrub, but even I would be top 5% in every game mode if we count in everyone.
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.
The numbers were a supposition, and I haven't noticed that 5% of player meant around 50k in osu, right? something around this. I will be changing the numbers then. Thank you!

I didn't know it used to be a feature in the game! As you see, I just arrived here. I thought it was a good idea, but you know, it would be so great... well I don't know what to say. Let's wait and see what time can bring us.

@Edit
In addition to this, we could balance the percentages based on which game mode people are playing, for example: it is 1,5% and 0,5% on Osu! standard, however, as in CTB we have a smaller number of players, we could work in a higher percentage.
Again I will plan and edit the thread, thanks!
Bara-
Isn't this already the case? I never heard of it being removed
Some time ago, when I never played CtB/Mania anymore, both my ranks got replaced to 'Hasn't played in a while'
Top ranks and such were all accessible
If it's removed it likely had a reason, but then I'd like to have it back
Topic Starter
Oliv3r_old

Baraatje123 wrote:

Some time ago, when I never played CtB/Mania anymore, both my ranks got replaced to 'Hasn't played in a while'
Thanks for the comment, I really appreaciate it.

Before making this post, I talked to some friends first, and asked them if Osu! had something like that, or it was the way I mentioned. They said that when Osu! change the scoring criterias sometimes the rankings is reseted, but not with a high frequence to keep it clean.(I really don't know how it works)

You can also see my Mania scores, I scored them 3 months ago and I don't plan to play anymore, but it is still there and I am still active in rankings.

The idea of the post is to change the way Osu! Ranking behaves.

Again, thanks for participating, if you have any other doubts related to this idea, please tell me.!! :)
abraker
Suppose cookizi suddenly stops playing. With such a low play count, it's safe to assume he would be marked as inactive relatively soon. When that happens, how are we going to see the replay of his legendary 700pp play?

Bottom line, this system would undermine great records set by players long ago.

Also this system requires you to play the game often enough not to have your stats made invisible. I play all game mode even if it's once a month and I want my raking to still show. I think what the current requirement for inactivity is good enough.

Perhaps make scores invisible once the player is declared "dead" and is not a player that holds a #1 score in something?
Topic Starter
Oliv3r_old

abraker wrote:

Suppose cookizi suddenly stops playing. With such a low play count, it's safe to assume he would be marked as inactive relatively soon. When that happens, how are we going to see the replay of his legendary 700pp play?

Bottom line, this system would undermine great records set by players long ago.

Also this system requires you to play the game often enough not to have your stats made invisible. I play all game mode even if it's once a month and I want my raking to still show. I think what the current requirement for inactivity is good enough.

Perhaps make scores invisible once the player is declared "dead" and is not a player that holds a #1 score in something?
No, the idea was to keep all scores and scores ranking, this Dynamic Rankings applies only to overall ranking, I will put this more clear on the thread.
If this example happens, all cookiezi scores will appear with its gameplay and replay normally, the Dynamic Rankings will only change Overall Rankings.
Nobody will loose its #1.
However, I am almost giving up this idea, it's a very case sensitive that requires personal opinion and it has a lot of chances to be ignored.
Again, thanks for participating, I appreciate your comment.
Kabu

Baraatje123 wrote:

Isn't that the case when the pp system got updated?
Sea_Food

Sora Momoiro wrote:

Baraatje123 wrote:

Isn't that the case when the pp system got updated?
Not sure if it was updated exactly at the same time as ppv2 but at least it came about the same time.

And the "hasnt played in a while" i dont know if its intentional desing or not, maybe its just a relic of the old system when your rank did get erased from the system. Anyway even thou you cant see your own rank, your rank still exist and it affects the rank of all the players below you.
Bara-
The pp got replaced with score, and the player got moved to rank 4-7million
He just needs to submit one score to bring it back

This at least is how it was
Topic Starter
Oliv3r_old
http://blog.ppy.sh/post/142289234118/20 ... ting-notes

"Due to the large number of changes slated for osu!next, a “seasons” based ranking system is being considered. While this is a fairly big thing to mention off hand, it is very much in the early consideration stage of things for now. Don’t hinge too much on it. (peppynote: this basically means everyone agreed it would be cool, not that we are actively working on it.)"

Very good idea! I am looking forward to! @Edit if that happens it would really fit the intention of my post, so, I would be very happy.