forum

Table height and leverage

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm
Do you guys think having a table that has a proper height is important for osu?
srs topic ppl
Mahogany
Sorry I play osu on the floor I can't help you there
KanoSet
i used to play with my elbow is under the table lvl
when i got a new chair it was higher than the old one that my elbow is now at thr same lvl of the table.. it felt rly awakward at first but i got used to it in no time.. now i can't play on my old chair w/o making random misses

tl;dr probably no it doesn't
Nabel_old_1
I think it helps. I really can't stand it if my desk is too low. My current desk is L shaped and I rest my whole right arm on the table when playing and it is much more comfortable for me than my old setup.
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm
Currently my desk digs into my wrist if I dont hover them but hovering both my hands is taxing and feels really awkward. I think Im going to invest in a height adjustable desk so I can get something just right.
dung eater
you can get used to hovering the hands, just make sure it doesn't feel forced (shoulder relaxed, everything pretty relaxed)

it's nice for not being so picky about chairs/tables. being able to use the adjustable height of your hands C:
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm
I hover my arms but its really forced. My neck and lower back starts getting stiff and hurts after a while. I think its because of improper seat and table height due to my body's proportions (when I have my elbows at a 90 degree angle and shoulders relaxed my elbows and wrist are only ~2 inches above my hips)
I Give Up
I think ergo is important for performance. 90 degree elbows, relaxed shoulders and back straight does not have to be exact. You don't need adjustable desk, just adjustable chair.

Personally my chair is too low / desk too high but I tank through it anyway ._.
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm
I've been tanking it for over 4 years but with my recent wrist, back, elbow issues I think its cheaper to invest in a proper desk now than pay for expensive doctor visits/surgery/physical therapy later on.
KanoSet
you worry too much
nrl

KanoSet wrote:

you worry too much
This. It definitely helps, but not enough to worry about unless your setup is really bad.

That said, an ergonomically correct setup will reduce bodily wear, which is good.
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm

Narrill wrote:

KanoSet wrote:

you worry too much
This. It definitely helps, but not enough to worry about unless your setup is really bad.

That said, an ergonomically correct setup will reduce bodily wear, which is good.
This is a picture of how high my current desk is. The top of it is ~4-5 inches above my elbow so I have to bend my arm in an awkward position. I tried raising my chair height but I got lower back pain from it due to leaning in.
Minhtam
The proper posture to play osu! is to sit upright with your arms parallel to the table and perpendicular to the body. Deviation from said posture can result in slightly worse performances and bodily discomfort.

Not really that big of a deal though; just by an adjustable chair.
deletemyaccount
How decent is your current chair?

Invest in a good quality ergonomic chair that allows you to adjust everything on it (angle, backrest, height, etc) and use that to optimise your posture.

It won't be cheap but it's worth it imo if you use your computer for 4+ hours a day.
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm

Philantropist wrote:

How decent is your current chair?

Invest in a good quality ergonomic chair that allows you to adjust everything on it (angle, backrest, height, etc) and use that to optimise your posture.

It won't be cheap but it's worth it imo if you use your computer for 4+ hours a day.
Its a cheap 60$ chair. I dont plan to get a new one until I get a job. I feel like buying a table is a better option due to my current one being too tall. I can adjust my computer chair with pillows an cushions but no such luck with the table.
deletemyaccount

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Its a cheap 60$ chair. I dont plan to get a new one until I get a job. I feel like buying a table is a better option due to my current one being too tall. I can adjust my computer chair with pillows an cushions but no such luck with the table.
If you're experiencing issues with your current setup then it definitely needs to be addressed.

I still recommend you pick up a good quality task chair in the future after your desk; it's really important but is often neglected.
vsprite
use some common sense to figure out if your posture is worth having a bad back after years of playing osu
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm

vsprite wrote:

use some common sense to figure out if your posture is worth having a bad back after years of playing osu
My common sense says to get the adjustable table.
vsprite

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

vsprite wrote:

My common sense says to get the adjustable table.
Then do it

Or place some books under
KanoSet
or cut your table legs

vsprite wrote:

do it
fr0ztbyte
My problem with some tables is the wobbling when I'm trying to do a spinner in osu. If the table wobbles, it's a bad table, unless you can get enough weight on the table to stop it from wobbling.
KanoSet

fr0ztbyte wrote:

My problem with some tables is the wobbling when I'm trying to do a spinner in osu. If the table wobbles, it's a bad table, unless you can get enough weight on the table to stop it from wobbling.
i can relate.. god bless desks everwhere
Endaris

fr0ztbyte wrote:

Most annoying thing about mine, I can't have anything topheavy standing on my tablet when playing osu! as the it will start to seriously shake and make sounds.
The height is kind of okay, could be slightly higher.
I think it's important but for normal-sized people there aren't too many wrong tables I think.
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm

KanoSet wrote:

or cut your table legs

vsprite wrote:

do it
Unfortunately its too high but Im not sure how Im going to cute a desk with a drawer as two of its legs.
vsprite

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

vsprite wrote:

do it
Unfortunately its too high but Im not sure how Im going to cute a desk with a drawer as two of its legs.
Ehh put some books under your chair then and use some books as footrest. This may be poverty but you dont seem to habe many options other than buying a new desk.
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm
I'll rather buy a new desk lol. My chair doesnt go high enough either. Books are unstable and this is a chair with casters. I think I've tried with a taller chair but I tend to lean in and that hurts my back
vsprite

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I'll rather buy a new desk lol. My chair doesnt go high enough either. Books are unstable and this is a chair with casters. I think I've tried with a taller chair but I tend to lean in and that hurts my back
Use a pillow for your lower back or do stretches and exercisesto straighten it.
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm

vsprite wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Use a pillow for your lower back or do stretches and exercisesto straighten it.
I did but...
Pituophis
that sucks.

My table is too high and it's irritating af.
shortpotato
basically theres a way around everything but no one can help u if ur too lazy to do it
show more