forum

How beneficial are 144hz monitors?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Synpoo
Basically the title. I've come back to this game after a lengthy (3-4 month?) break and I can read 10.3 better than before for some reason, without needing any memorization of difficult patterns. So, I wanted to ask if it really does make a noticeable difference in terms of readability of high-AR's (10+).

And no, osu isn't the only reason I'm considering a new monitor.

Thanks.

honestly idk why i asked this here instead of reddit, i'm probably just gonna get trolled hard smh
vsprite

Synpoo wrote:

Basically the title. I've come back to this game after a lengthy (3-4 month?) break and I can read 10.3 better than before for some reason, without needing any memorization of difficult patterns. So, I wanted to ask if it really does make a noticeable difference in terms of readability of high-AR's (10+).

And no, osu isn't the only reason I'm considering a new monitor.

Thanks.

honestly idk why i asked this here instead of reddit, i'm probably just gonna get trolled hard smh
plenty of top players play without 144hz. Although it makes higher ar easier to read and is more pleasing to the eye.

Lul xDDdd reddit le circlejerk xDDd maymays
-Makishima S-
I can cleary tell you that reddit is waaaaaaay more cancerous than this forum. Soon 144hz monitor will be there considered as cheating so yea... already if you play offline and hit some good score you are instantly called a cheater. Typical reddit cancerous shitters. Don't go there.
Reddit = cheaters accusing others for cheating so they can have more space to cheat.... *vomiting*

On topic: from what i know there is big diffrence betwin 60hz and 144hz on readability. 144 is worth his price not only for Osu, also if you play shooters if i am right.
Vuelo Eluko
for standard doesnt really matter
for taiko/ctb it's insanely useful
a 60 hz player can just use a slower scroll speed and be fine in mania
silento
Note that A LOT of top players have set great scores and all on 60 Hz before this year. It's well worth to have 144 Hz, but it's not a necessity unless you meddle with AR10+ maps.
I Give Up
Get it if you can.
KanoSet

KukiMonster wrote:

Get it if you can.
shigatora have one
Bauxe
If you can't get good without a 144hz monitor, you can't get good with a 144hz monitor.
chainpullz

Hvick uses 60hz and apparently can acc ar11 od11 just fine so this:

Bauxe wrote:

If you can't get good without a 144hz monitor, you can't get good with a 144hz monitor.
Deva

Bauxe wrote:

Spirit_Dreamer

Bauxe wrote:

This.Though I realy love my new 144hz monitor.It's helping a little in reading.The pace you get used to read new ar/patterns, but not more than ~10% .In other words it's not a deciding factor, the deciding factor is still your tallent and "play more".The benefit is more for pleasing the eyes - this difference is realy great, at least in osu, shooters and some other fast paced games.
dung eater
it's smoother
ithgyu
144hz monitor is a luxury. If you cant get good without one you wont get good with one. That being said, they are fucking beautiful and definitely live up to the praise. cs plays much better on a 144hz monitor as well. Unless you also play cs, not worth, because they are still quite expensive if you dont want to get a shit one.

chainpullz wrote:

Yeah go ahead and pick one of, if not the best player in the world, thats great reasoning, look guys hvick can do it with a 60hz monitor you can do it ezpz if you play moar (like another 3 years of ar10.3 and up)
Noobsicle
smooth liek buter it gud
The Gambler
Have you tried overclocking your LCD panel? My normal laptop @ 60 Hz is currently running at 75 Hz with this utility
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... tility-CRU

Not exactly 144 Hz but a little lube won't hurt, would it?If a little lube won't help you move in, a lot of it won't either. Works in many aspects of life, Mr. Snake xD
Poku
I agree with Bauxe ^^

It will be a bit easier to read, but you can do good with and without one,
people have set great scores without a 144hz monitor, so it's your choice :)
chainpullz

II Jelli II wrote:

144hz monitor is a luxury. If you cant get good without one you wont get good with one. That being said, they are fucking beautiful and definitely live up to the praise. cs plays much better on a 144hz monitor as well. Unless you also play cs, not worth, because they are still quite expensive if you dont want to get a shit one.

chainpullz wrote:

Yeah go ahead and pick one of, if not the best player in the world, thats great reasoning, look guys hvick can do it with a 60hz monitor you can do it ezpz if you play moar (like another 3 years of ar10.3 and up)
In comparison to rafis who uses 144hz? I don't see a lot of people who can play ar11 period. 144hz or no 144hz. So please take your head out of your ass and objectively consider the example I used because it wasn't garbage hero worshipping.
Saphirshroom

II Jelli II wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

It is, in fact, great reasoning because being the/one of the best in the world is hard and almost every other realistic goal you set yourself in osu is easier. The fact that hvick can read high AR on 60hz either means he has a ridiculous amount of time to learn reading it or, much more likely, reading high AR on 60hz is not that hard. If hvick can do it while staying #1, OP should be able to do it too.

Also what the fuck makes CS be the only game worth buying a 144Hz monitor for?
ZenithPhantasm
Less motion blur. Less frame time lag. Possibly less display lag.
They dont beat CRT or OLEDs tho
Endie-
Its smooth like a baby's butt
ZenithPhantasm

Endie- wrote:

Its smooth like a baby's butt
oh look a pedo
vsprite

Saphirshroom wrote:

Also what the fuck makes CS be the only game worth buying a 144Hz monitor for?
Gives you a big advantage. Game becomes fluid, spray control is easier, faster reaction times, more confidence overall to make plays.

If you are aiming to becoming very good at the game and want to increase your skill ceiling 144hz is great. But as bauxe said, if you are trash without a 144hz monitor, you will still be trash with a 144hz monitor.

Pro cs Players like flusha were using 60hz for a long while even while pro before switching to 144hz. 144hz doesnt make you instantly better, and id say its wasted on anyone below smfc (even then most smfc players are trash), because you simply wont have the game sense and aim to take advantage of the monitor, but its a huge boon to competitive play

I reached globalelite with a 60hz monitor which doesnt mean much considering anyone can get global elite lately but I dont have any trouble playing at that level against 144hzs.

With osu, its great for high ar reading, and the fluidity is very appealing. You dont hear any negative comments about having a 144hz so its hard to believe that it doesnt give you any sort of advantage.

Also if you dont have high goals in osu, of course you wont get anywhere. I wont say everyone can get to hvicks and cookiezis and the other top players level as there is talent involved but mostly its the way you want to improve and how committed you are to improving yourself. Take a look at rafis for example, he was a normal ranked pleb just like you 2 years ago.
Saphirshroom
I know 144Hz gives an advantage on games like these. The person I quoted made it seem like this is only the case on CS.
vsprite

Saphirshroom wrote:

I know 144Hz gives an advantage on games like these. The person I quoted made it seem like this is only the case on CS.
Yeah I know I just wanted to conclude alot of posts. 144hz is benificial to alot of things not just cs. Ive talked to numerous amounts of top players and they all say its worth it. I dont own one so I wont go overboard with details.
Gumpy
Well once you get used to it playing on 60hz because infinietly harder
vsprite

Gumpyyy wrote:

Well once you get used to it, playing on 60hz becomes infinitely harder
Ftfy
Gumpy

vsprite wrote:

Ftfy
:V
abraker

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

a 60 hz player can just use a slower scroll speed and be fine in mania
I cant read the dense 5* material without going above 32 scroll speed @ 80 column width. Going above 34 has so much tearing that I see double notes. A 144hz would be nice

Generally a 144hz is beneficial if it is because one of the following:
  1. Something is moving fast and causes enough tearing to be misread
  2. Your reaction time is being limited by the your screen's refresh rate (I am not sure how you figure this though)
ZenithPhantasm
Both can be fix with a CRT which has the added benefit of no motion blur and no display lag.
The Gambler

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Both can be fix with a CRT which has the added benefit of no motion blur and no display lag.
RIP eyes though.
ZenithPhantasm

The Gambler wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

RIP eyes though.
U eyes r weak and also there's this: http://www.drugs.com/cdi/alcaine-drops.html
TakuMii

The Gambler wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

RIP eyes though.
TBH the PWM pulsing from LED-backlit LCDs hurt my eyes more than CRTs do :roll:
Infevo
any AR higher than 9 looks like a slideshow with 60hz. it is beneficial to my eye strain and to my overall pleasure and enjoyment of the game because it looks way better. and it is beneficial in a way you can better track the cursor during fast and long and wide movements.

it doesn't mean you need 144hz to become a god at this game. it is just easier to get higher scores on difficult high rank maps. but don't mix up the benefit of "getting better' and the benefit of 'having more pp'.
show more