forum

Winter 2016 Anime First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
show more
xxdeathx
Dimension W - Will have to see how this turns out, not too sure what's gonna happen.

Dropped HaruChika and Divine Gate, doesn't hold my interest.

I'm more hooked on ERASED after the second episode, also GATE and Phantom World have gotten good too. Girls beyond the Youth seems to be turning into a shittier version of Saekano but it's still alright for now.
-Atri-
phantasy star online 2: I can't say it is a good Anime tbh, I am not the fan of the art style but my mind tells me to keep watch it
Cephus
Ajin - I just cannot stand the CGI and the outright terrible subs for the first episode, was expecting a much better show but ended up really disappointed.
Boku dake ga Inai Machi - Yeah this is some good shit, has a lot of potential if the story doesn't start to get a bit ridiculous like The Perfect Insider did last season.
Dagashi Kashi - Pretty funny, don't think it's as hilarious as other people but still a decent time killer.
Dimension W - The first episode was pretty cool, enough to keep me interesting to where it progresses anyway.
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar - This just feels like a generic MMO anime, people saying it's unique and shit but the concept still just bores me.
HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru - The mysteries are just shit, the characters also irritate me, maybe it'll get better?
Musaigen no Phantom World - Too generic, I don't feel any connection to any of the characters so far, plot just seems a bit stupid to me.
Nijiiro Days - Another Decent timekiller but not much more than that.
Prince of Stride: Alternative - So far I'm disappointed, the concept is cool but the execution has been poor so far, hoping it'll get better as they start competing properly. Not completely writing it off yet as I think it still has potential.
DakeDekaane
Ajin: I think I need to read the manga in order to understand the little hype about this one, because after watching the first episode I found myself being confused, so far it just looks like a survival thingy, and I really hope this goes further than that.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Phantasy Star Online 2: Horrible cg + terrible plot + lack of jokes. Did Sega really put money toward making this?

Ajin: I like bad CG as much as the next person, but when it looks this bad, you're better of choosing another form of media than look at this (in short, if you care about the plot, read the manga)
Rio-
Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation - idk what to say about this. It's not that good but it's not that bad either for the first episode impression. I plan to play PSO2 since a year ago but until this moment i still can't because of bad internet connection (or maybe i can barely play it). I think i'll try continue this series.

And also HaruChika started getting good in the 2nd episode imo and i can give it a Blue. But because of this thread is about first impression, I won't change my thought about it as a red.
Kyonko Hizara
Ajin: That's enough bad cg for one day. I may as well go read the source material if I care to understand the plot.
Justykanna

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Phantasy Star Online 2: ... Did Sega really put money toward making this?
Baha. My thoughts exactly.

Anyways.
Watched another episode of all the anime that I listed thus far except for the one red (Phantasy Star Online 2).

Active Raid: I still like what I see and it looks like something bigger is starting to develop so we're looking good. While it is worthy of a giggle every now and then, I just don't want it getting too silly. I'm not quite as in love with it anymore, but it's still solid enough that I want to keep watching.

Divine Gate: I really wanted to like this one. I love the idea of elemental combat and it 'could' get flashy. But the graphics really bug me and I feel like the story isn't really going anywhere. So this one's done for me.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash: (Am I the only one who would rather remember the name of the English name rather than the Japanese name?) *ahem*. I really like this one. Easily my favourite anime this season. There's so much progression with one episode and the main idea of the second episode, which may seem like a dull "thing" in any other RPG-style anime is actually quite meaningful here. But what's the endgame in all this? You can only do so much with twelve episodes. The only thing that bugs me with this one is, as I mentioned in my other post, the dull/weird-looking fore/backgrounds.

Schwarzesmarke: My previous post basically didn't change with an episode... which could be a good thing.
-Atri-
ok i changed my mind, maybe i should put PSO2 to red

I'll check other animes later, i am lazy
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
After a giant delay, graph is finally in op. I'm sorry if things look ugly. I was trying out some new formatting. I'll fix some things up later...
-Atri-
I think it's much better if you show the website of the graph, i doubt there's enough space to put all of them in
Faust
Durarara X2 Ketsu - Of course I'd be watching this. Never gets old.

Saijaku Mukai no Bahamut - Eh. Reminds me of Infinite Stratos. But perhaps mildly better. We'll see if my interest wanes over time.

Dagashi Kashi - Quite like the character designs actually.

It's charming, the plot looks like it has got potential for something, and I'm just waiting to see what happens later on.
Justykanna

blissfulyoshi wrote:

After a giant delay, graph is finally in op. I'm sorry if things look ugly. I was trying out some new formatting. I'll fix some things up later...
Yay! Looks nice enough for me. =)

Out of curiosity, why did you have people submit a form rather than just having people fill in the chart themselves. It'd be less work for you too.
...Unless it's some automatic process that I don't know about. XD
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi

Justykanna wrote:

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Yay! Looks nice enough for me. =)

Out of curiosity, why did you have people submit a form rather than just having people fill in the chart themselves. It'd be less work for you too.
...Unless it's some automatic process that I don't know about. XD
The backend is mostly automated now. The form makes all the results standardized so I write a simple equation to check what value was in the form results, and use that to fill out the graph. It really should only take me 5 minutes to initially setup the form, but I was lazy and put it off till I felt guilty enough to do it at 3AM in the morning.

The other problem with the graph is that I don't have a rotatable monitor, so I've been working with finding other ways to take the long picture.
xxdeathx
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - Sounded like another one of those SAO-type "ended up in a different world like a video game" series, but found out pretty soon that the premise was the only similarity. Their realistic take on the situation opened eyes to a lot of different things that series like Overlord would never have mentioned. The encounter with the goblin in the second episode was really something.
Faust
GATE: - Has always held up favorably since the last season. Great show to follow all in all.
CodeS
Phantasy Star Online 2: The CGI was bad, and even if it had good CGI, the pacing so far, characters and pretty much everything is really bland and boring, even tho it's TBS, I usually like TBS stuff.

Dagashi Kashi: Good to pass the time, saw episode 1 after I came back from work at 10pm and hey, it actually made me have a good time, even tho I tried reading the manga before and I felt it was really bad, the pacing is horseshit tho, but hey, at least the characters are kinda interesting and while not original, they have certain charm and charisma, that BGM tho

Boku dake ga Inai Machi: Ok, It's TOMOHIKO directing this, this can be very bad or very good, so far, it's been neutral, feels like the Anime has a lot of potential, and is keeping a lot of things out in the blue, anyway, neutral so far, kind of "mmm, should I feel Hyped about this? maybe I should, still, not gonna be"

GATE: first season made me puke out of how bad of an adaptation it was (even as someone who owns many vols of the VN) first episode of second season was as dissapointing as the entire first season and episode 2, while not as bad (mostly because I love this entire arc and the next to follow) was still a letdown, well, not gonna punish myself this time, I will probably drop it next episode and do a Tsukuyomi "The Anime doesn't exist, only the VN and Manga"
Green Platinum
Essentially been watching anything that has gotten a recommendation

Dagashi Kashi: Hotaru's eccentricities are entertaining however in a show of this style it relies on the cast for it's core strength and none of the remaining cast is at all fun to watch. At three episodes in it looks like it is staying in it's current place.

Assassination Classroom: Of all the episodes up till this point none of season 2's are top of the barrel. I have hopes however for more characterization of the whole class and the episodes thus far have indicated that.

Musaigen no Phantom World: A terrible fit for KyoAni. Fanservice while pretending to be philosophical and thoughtful is generally a horrible mix. The starting monologues serve their purpose poorly and the memory one seemed to only exist so a plot device can be pulled out of thin air. The phantoms make little sense when you put some thought into it, Were they always eating food and breaking things before they were visible? And solid too? since Mai frequently kicks off of them.

Durarara X2: The third installment and I haven't been too happy with the previous 2 parts. However this one is looking up and to be the best of the three. If you've made it this far there should be no problem with continuing.

Prince of Stride: Looks to me as a worse version of Free. The parkour maneuvers look terrible and the characters are bland. The direction of the story is pretty aimless too with the series likely and very predictably going to end at some tournament.

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: Very much like the second half of last season, I don't think I'll be able to warm up to it again until the next major plot point; probably the ball.

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm: Complete crap. Although that was obvious when i saw who recommended it. I'll probably to rant about it in the series' thread.

Dimension W: Refreshing partly from the cast not being all high schoolers. Basic battle/rebelling against the man stuff at this point but I look forward to watching it.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi: Great so far and I often enjoy stuff that handle mature themes, but I feel there might be issues with pacing the series.

GATE: Similar to Assassination Classroom. None of the episodes are among the best for the series and at this point I think it with be harem nonsense mixed with some political bureaucratics.

CodeS wrote:

GATE: first season made me puke out of how bad of an adaptation it was (even as someone who owns many vols of the VN)
What did they change specifically? I'm just cynical about a series that made their protagonist an otaku (in order to be relatable?) as being much better in the first place.
EneT
I haven't watched anything.
DakeDekaane
Watched a few more shows, short impressions about them.

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm: There's a lot of incongruities around this one. Animation looks okayish though.

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!: Cheap comedy. Although I'm interested in the genre, I can't see clumsy characters working with this kind of premise.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar: Probably I'll keep watching it, curious about the point of view this show presents the genre.

This has been a bit more interesting season for me, the good stuff here outstands by its own merit, not because the lack of shine of the rest of the shows, lol.
Liiraye
I'm liking this season so far, have only checked out gate and dagashi yet but I'll get to others in time. Considering I have over 2 I'm looking forward to, this season is already way better than last.
Green Platinum

Nube wrote:

I'm liking this season so far, have only checked out gate and dagashi yet but I'll get to others in time. Considering I have over 2 I'm looking forward to, this season is already way better than last.
Ready to vote for best anime of 2016
Liiraye
you think? dunno about that
Navizel
kek
sounds like you only watched 1 or 2 anime last season
Green Platinum

Nube wrote:

you think? dunno about that
Making a joke about what AOTY 2015 felt like.
Justykanna

Green Platinum wrote:

Making a joke about what AOTY 2015 felt like.
Maybe it's a good thing I unintentionally missed almost all of last year's anime. xD
CodeS
Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm: J U S T... I... Ok Dropped.
King_Dede
Boku dake ga inai machi <3

*_* :)
Green Platinum

Pretty sure every human culture on earth has also been found to have art, religion and some kind of recreational drug use.
-Atri-
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! : I do like how the main character always run with thousands of girls with problems