forum

Would switching keyboards help me improve at streams?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kafein_old_1
Here's the thing: i'm extremely horrendous when it comes to streaming. I couldn't stream anything above 3 circles properly even if my life depended on it. I just can't get the feel for it. No matter how much I try to anticipate an upcoming stream, it seems like my fingers always get caught off guard when it appears and I end up randomly mashing the keys as a result. Most people would say I just need to play more, but if playing literally everyday for 5 months isn't enough to make you decent at 5 circle streams at the very least, then I don't know what is. My PP has been stuck at the mid-2000's for a while now because of my terrible streaming ability, and it's really frustrating. :x

So that got me thinking, maybe switching to a different keyboard would somehow help me get the feel for streams. I'm currently using a Corsair Strafe with red switches, and I always bottom out hard when streaming in an attempt to get the rhythm of the song. Would switching to a switch with a tactile feedback (blues or browns) help? I haven't personally used any mechanical keyboards aside from the reds so I currently have no idea what to expect from these switches, so I'd like to hear some opinions from people who own keyboards with switches other than red, especially browns and blues. How are they for streaming?
ithgyu
sounds like you have a reading issue or finger coordination issue. or maybe you are just too used to mashing. maybe play pure stream sort of stuff at low bpm to try to get the hang of it. aim for finger independence and dont just mash the bottom of the keys. General consensus is that reds are the best for osu, and that blues are quite bad. If you really want to try another switch, i hear blacks are similar to reds but more tactile and require a bit more force to push down. Honestly though I think you just have to practice getting a decent streaming technique, I rarely recommend people to play slow streams to get better at them, but it sounds like you actually do have to do it, and make sure you listen to the music and all that good stuff and not just mash and freeze your way through everything.
StephOsu
I don't think you need to switch keyboard since red keys are really good too
what you need is to play moe learn to coordinate your fingers and feels the rhythm of the song instead of anticipating it
then believe in yourself, close your eyes and tap according to the rhythm you feel
deletemyaccount
I'm sorry OP, it's not the switches. This probably isn't the answer you want to hear.

Maybe what you really need to do is take a step back and look at the problem for what it really is; most likely an inability to read streams correctly hence the mashing. Have you actually sat down and tried to see if you are overstreaming or understreaming, or is it maybe even your aim being unable to keep up with the streams? Identify the fundamental issue at hand then look for ways to solve it; whether this be playing slow streams until you can grasp the rhythm or changing your settings if they are stopping you from improving.

You do realise that if you bottom out on browns then the tactile feedback is somewhat redundant as you can't really feel it anyways, so I would try the above first before splurging on another mechanical keyboard.

*ps; I used reds for two years and couldn't stream when I first started either; natural progression and improvement are key here, not your peripherals*.
Noobsicle
doesn't matter if you use blues browns greens yellows purples blacks or reds, play a variety of maps with triples/streams so you get used to hitting them. i have both blues and reds and i don't feel like there's any improvement using one switch over the other (reds might be better for deathstreams but i don't have the stamina to make a judgment on that so fuk mi)

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/366959&m=0 try this to see if you are able to consistently hit triples with decent accuracy. if it's too overwhelming, play the 186bpm ver on HT
Kunino Sagiri
250 pesos lang keyboard ko; ung nakikita mo sa mga kompyuter shop na A4tech. Iyon gamit ko tapos x>50% ng top ranks ko stream based.

5 months ka pa lang kasi. Play more.
KanoSet
blues are gud, haters gonna hate
ot: i don't think the switches are your problem.. it's just the way you stream i guess
try not to bottom out every time unless it's rly fuking fast
try to relax and not tense up your hands whenever you see or even sense there is a stream coming.. ik it's creepy as hell but just try to relax
feel the beat and have fun pls
Topic Starter
Kafein_old_1

II Jelli II wrote:

sounds like you have a reading issue or finger coordination issue. or maybe you are just too used to mashing. maybe play pure stream sort of stuff at low bpm to try to get the hang of it. aim for finger independence and dont just mash the bottom of the keys. General consensus is that reds are the best for osu, and that blues are quite bad. If you really want to try another switch, i hear blacks are similar to reds but more tactile and require a bit more force to push down. Honestly though I think you just have to practice getting a decent streaming technique, I rarely recommend people to play slow streams to get better at them, but it sounds like you actually do have to do it, and make sure you listen to the music and all that good stuff and not just mash and freeze your way through everything.
Actually, I can do streams decently when I have time to prepare my hands for it, like when the stream is at the beginning of the map or there's like a 2 second pause or more before the stream comes. But when I have to make a quick jump between a hitcircle and the actual stream, that's when I start to mess things up. It's like my fingers go into panic mode and move on their own no matter how much I try to follow to rhythm of the song. I've tried playing maps with lots of burst streams on it to try and fix the issue, but no improvement so far. :cry:

Philantropist wrote:

I'm sorry OP, it's not the switches. This probably isn't the answer you want to hear.

Maybe what you really need to do is take a step back and look at the problem for what it really is; most likely an inability to read streams correctly hence the mashing. Have you actually sat down and tried to see if you are overstreaming or understreaming, or is it maybe even your aim being unable to keep up with the streams? Identify the fundamental issue at hand then look for ways to solve it; whether this be playing slow streams until you can grasp the rhythm or changing your settings if they are stopping you from improving.

You do realise that if you bottom out on browns then the tactile feedback is somewhat redundant as you can't really feel it anyways, so I would try the above first before splurging on another mechanical keyboard.

*ps; I used reds for two years and couldn't stream when I first started either; natural progression and improvement are key here, not your peripherals*.
Maybe I should have worded my question better, haha. I'm well aware that my streaming problem comes from my terrible streaming ability. I was just wondering if changing key switches would help my progression go faster. Like I said, I haven't used any other switch outside of reds so I'm just a bit curious about how I would fare at streaming if I used those other switches.

Anyway, I recognize that my problem starts when I have to make a quick jump between a hitcircle and a stream. It just throws me off my rhythm every time. I've been working on it for a while now but I don't feel like I'm improving at all. If you have any tips on how I can fix this, I'd really appreciate it. :D

Noobsicle wrote:

doesn't matter if you use blues browns greens yellows purples blacks or reds, play a variety of maps with triples/streams so you get used to hitting them. i have both blues and reds and i don't feel like there's any improvement using one switch over the other (reds might be better for deathstreams but i don't have the stamina to make a judgment on that so fuk mi)

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/366959&m=0 try this to see if you are able to consistently hit triples with decent accuracy. if it's too overwhelming, play the 186bpm ver on HT
Can't play now so I'll try this later. But I really don't have any problems with triples, it's really just streams I'm having problems with.

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

250 pesos lang keyboard ko; ung nakikita mo sa mga kompyuter shop na A4tech. Iyon gamit ko tapos x>50% ng top ranks ko stream based.

5 months ka pa lang kasi. Play more.
Gamit ko nung una CDR-King lang eh, kaya lang wasak agad kaya bumili na ko ng mech. Haha.
Deva
Of course that changing keyboards wont help you. Stop making excuses and start practicing streams.
StephOsu
sounds like your problem can be solved just by actually get good in streaming
switching keyboard will somehow affect your streaming skill (for the better or worse), but when you have 0 to start with, then it will stay the same
From personal experience, switching from membrane keyboard to greens made me a better streamer by a tiny little bit thanks to the tactile feedback, but I could stream at a decent 4 star level already before switching the keyboard so I don't think it will help much at the end
Topic Starter
Kafein_old_1

StephOsu wrote:

sounds like your problem can be solved just by actually get good in streaming
switching keyboard will somehow affect your streaming skill (for the better or worse), but when you have 0 to start with, then it will stay the same
From personal experience, switching from membrane keyboard to greens made me a better streamer by a tiny little bit thanks to the tactile feedback, but I could stream at a decent 4 star level already before switching the keyboard so I don't think it will help much at the end
I can't even stream 4 star maps with any decent accuracy as of now. I'm supposed to be breezing past those maps at my current level but the truth I'm still as bad at streaming as when I first started playing osu!. Even my friend who uses a membrane keyboard and is ranked in the #160000's streams better than me, so I'm kind of getting desperate now. Lol.

Maybe I'll try focusing on streams for 1 more month. If I still don't improve by then I'll probably consider buying a new keyboard as a last resort.
StephOsu

lynyrd47 wrote:

I'll probably consider buying a new keyboard as a last resort.
this wouldn't work
mechanical keyboard enhance your streaming/tapping skill, but if you have none to start with, it wouldn't help
whatever multiply by 0 equals 0
shortpotato
Dw if you buy a $200 keyboard u wont have to play as much :^)
Topic Starter
Kafein_old_1

StephOsu wrote:

That's quite a depressing way to put it. Haha.

Well if nothing really works then maybe I'll just stick to jumpy maps from then on. :P
StephOsu

lynyrd47 wrote:

StephOsu wrote:

That's quite a depressing way to put it. Haha.

Well if nothing really works then maybe I'll just stick to jumpy maps from then on. :P
i don't meant it in a bad way LOL
you need the streaming skill sooner or later so why not learn it now >_>
Topic Starter
Kafein_old_1

StephOsu wrote:

i don't meant it in a bad way LOL
you need the streaming skill sooner or later so why not learn it now >_>
Yeah, I'm actually working on it right now. Wish me luck, I guess. :D
ZanouX
Try to play by alternating tapping finger on classical maps and jumps. I prevent you it consume near or more than half of your focus, but if you get ease with it at 150 to 180 bpm maps, maybe it will solve your streaming problem slowly.

I can't really tell if it word as my streaming is naturally high, a friend of mine told me my streaming skill is insane for my lvl, the only thing i lack is speed and stamina, and i started recently to play some part of songs with alternate tapping and i'm not sure, but i feel like i get better at jump and streaming as i have to focus on my fingers but on my aim too.

Be sure to have a proper curve for your fingers when streaming, it helps a lot.
Nabel_old_1

ZanouX wrote:

Try to play by alternating tapping finger on classical maps and jumps. I prevent you it consume near or more than half of your focus, but if you get ease with it at 150 to 180 bpm maps, maybe it will solve your streaming problem slowly.
I don't it's worth to fully alternate in order to learn streams (at least it did'nt work for me :(). Just keep playing stream maps daily, I could'nt stream at all a month ago and by playing streamy maps daily I can hold combo on them now. Next step is to increase my acc on them (so I can get rid of those 90% acc fcs :p)
The Gambler
You don't need a new keyboard if you wanted to try other switches. Why not order some from Digikey and solder them to your actual keyboard?

(Assuming you use a Cherry MX mechanical)
Topic Starter
Kafein_old_1

ZanouX wrote:

I'm actually trying to experiment with this for a while now. I noticed that I can do streams more accurately when I start tapping with my index finger, though I end up getting thrown off rhythm most of the time when I do it because I'm used to starting streams with my middle finger. I thought trying to learn alternate tapping would fix this, but I'm not sure if it's worth trying. It seems like it takes a lot of time and effort to master, and I'm worried that it might mess up my jumping skills in the long run.

Anyway, 2 days of streaming practice and still 0% improvement. Still can't do even 5-circle streams without getting 50s and misses. I'm starting to get disheartened by this, lol.
Deva

ZanouX wrote:

Try to play by alternating tapping finger on classical maps and jumps. I prevent you it consume near or more than half of your focus
Nice meme. I lol'd.
This is why you alternate from the very start
KanoSet

lynyrd47 wrote:

Anyway, 2 days of streaming practice and still 0% improvement. Still can't do even 5-circle streams without getting 50s and misses. I'm starting to get disheartened by this, lol.
2 days are nothing.. play everyday for like 2 weeks and you'll slight improvement.. if you git gud with this game you need to be parient
this game ain't for casuals
-Makishima S-
Doesn't matter if i alternate or single tap, i lose same amount of stamina. Maybe becouse i only alternate everything above 210 bpm. Singletapping > alternating.
Topic Starter
Kafein_old_1

KanoSet wrote:

lynyrd47 wrote:

2 days are nothing.. play everyday for like 2 weeks and you'll slight improvement.. if you git gud with this game you need to be parient
this game ain't for casuals
Well I've actually been playing literally everyday for 4-5 months straight. :P
show more