forum

Poll 28: How did you hear about the game?

posted
Total Posts

How did you hear about the game?

A friend introduced me to the game.
44.09%
I read an article about the game.
1.20%
I watched a celebrity/streamer play the game.
12.14%
I stumbled upon a YouTube video of the game.
23.16%
I read about the game on a social media outlet.
2.80%
I came from another video game community.
8.55%
Other
8.07%
Total votes: 1252
Polling ended
show more
Bonsai

Stefan wrote:

I blame the YouTuber HerrDekay and his Groundhog pass for my existance here.

Inb4 every german is for the same reason here.
Not that exact video but yep :D
MkLBR
In 2013 my friend recommended osu! to me and I quitted like a wuss after getting rank C on an easy song. 2 or 3 days ago I came back to osu! because my friend made me realize that I'm a failure at it when I said osu! was easy and he made me play Ifuudoudou on insane. I'm getting good.
chesnutcase
1 - From a friend, but probably in the most screwed up manner possible.

4 years ago, my friend brought his laptop to school. When I met up with him, I saw him watching a video.
At first I was laughing really hard, going "LOL why are you staring so intensely at a video of Ronald Mcdonald repeatedly falling backwards on a bench?!?!!"
Then I realised "Wait wtf, this ain't a video, there are exploding circles all over the screen?!?!"

And so I got introduced to this circle clicking paradise. No regrets. To be honest one thing that really hooked me into the game were not the songs, but how in the hardest difficulties (of that time, like mcroll and redalice's bad apple) the old, gigantic 300 fireworks would pretty much cover the entire screen when watching the pros' replays, and for some reason that really enchanted the 13-year-old me. I decided to start playing so that one day I could pull off the "300-fireworks all over the screen" thing on hard maps by myself.

And for that same reason, even after 4 years of playing I still have visible 300's with extremely visually obstructive firework effects.

TL;DR: saw my friend playing mcroll on osu.
Pawsu
Saw a video on Facebook, and I thought it looked so cool. I was drawn to it.
And now, I'm here. :'D
RePhantom
I watched WWW`s Videos :w:
Shurelia
Got this game from randomly dropped USB Drive.
Kyrari
Was actively playing LoL and it was a time where I started watching streams more than playing, then when I was watching Dyrus' stream one day I noticed he often plays another game while waiting for matches since it takes so long.

Basically I asked around after that and finally came upon osu! and I ended up playing more osu! than LoL after that
NaTha
I was in skype with a friend and he clicked hardcore on his Keyboard and i asked him what he's doing and he showed me osu
Weavoid
If I remember correctly, I literally just... found it, I guess. I go onto a lot of different websites about gaming/anime, and when I find some show or game I haven't heard of that gets my interest, I'll Google search it. I guess some page mentioned the word osu, I highlighted it and searched Google. :lol:

That's how I find most new games and anime, to be honest!
Topic Starter
Nyquill

Shurelia wrote:

Got this game from randomly dropped USB Drive.
If you aren't kidding this is pretty impressive :D
Myles
One of my friends had osu link to their steam account and I was curious as hell because I had never heard of the game lol. So then I played it when he told me what it was and then that was when the addiction started :D
Makoto_
Well, this is like, my first time ever commenting since I started to play the game, feels weird. Whatever.
The very first time I heard/saw the game was because some friend linked me to some Twitch channel (I don't really remember) And I like, saw the game, watched it some seconds before closing the tab, that was like 2 years ago or more, before school started that year.
Then, when I really paid attention at this game was at school, me and some classmates were slacking, they already knew about osu!, and they also said one of the computers had the game so I was like "'kay, let's give it a try" and I started to fail a few times before tilting. The same day I downloaded the game and started to play it as some desperate choice.
Edit: I'd like to know why it has Japan Time. Please someone tell me :L
Silverdesu

MakotoKikuchi wrote:

I'd like to know why it has Japan Time. Please someone tell me :L
ppy = lives in Japan

Welp, might as well contribute: I don't really quite remember about how I found this game, only that I really sucked at it but was ridiculously hooked on it. I also remember this being one of the first accounts I ever created with the alias "SilverStarlight," so I find myself constantly drawn back into the game. I think I found it after a couple of google searches on "rhythm games" and I really liked this game, until at some point when I was almost non-stop playing Minecraft, another game I discovered roughly around that time. Now, I'm back and I'm ready to click circles (and not to blow my own whistle, but I'm a whistle blower; I think I'm decent at it now)

Edit: Even back then I knew who Cookiezi was and I kinda revered him, embarrassing as it is to admit
CSLM
before of meet osu! i was obsesed with the graphic novels of higurashi no naku koro ni, and there was a song which i really like it: Ayane - Angelic Bright. Searching some videos of the song i find a replay of that map in youtube and then i start to find out more about it. Some weeks after that i start osu in may of 2013 in my sister's laptop 'cause the update of that time doesn't work in my PC, and i had to leave it. Then i try it again in my PC in july, and with the update of July did it work. Since then i'm here, mapping for the community :D
piruchan
I was looking through a friend's desktop shortcut when I found a mania style rhythm game with auto generated map. He said there's one more similar game but with maps that fit the song better, and he showed me osu!.
Electovoid
I actually first stumbled across osu when a cosplayer on instagram @/geheichou posted a video of him playing osu!stream - I thought it seemed like a cool game(I've always loved rhythm games^~^) checked out the android app store and found that the non-official android version didnt work on my phone - thought it was a shame and left it like that

Fast forward a few months and i go to a con with a small group of friends - on the train ride home they were talking about some rhythm clicking game and how they should play later- i ask if it happened to be osu! And found that it was on the computer and not just mobile :D
- Later got the game and played a bit with them using my graphics tablet as i didnt have a mouse xD
- now i am addicted, and have well passed the times were i could still play with them - It just isnt fair for me to now xD Im pretty lucky to start out with a graphics tablet my whole journey :)
[ Jg ]
Saw my brother playing, now i'm here.

/s Still a skrub tho. D:
StixStix
I picked Other because, i was and still a huge fan of rhythm games, so i searched google for any multiplayer rhythm and boom came OSU!
OnosakiHito
Wanted to play Taiko in online modus.
Kurai
My brother and I were big fans of the original iNiS games, he found the game one day back in 2008 and that's how I started playing osu!.
BlackMidKnight
This: :)
Deterioration
osu tatakae ouendan
Fukita
all because of a streamer called IKANNIXI

he's god
Seijiro
I just fall under the general "friend introduced me to the game. he quits 2 days after and I'm still here after almost 3 years. Lol" xD
Mint
I used to play StepMania a lot, but a lot of songs I liked didn't have any fun KB simfiles online. When I tried to look for them I ended up here and became hooked on standard mode owo.
-kevincela-
Found a video regarding osu! by Card N'FoRcE during the first months of 2010 while searching for ouendan videos :p
meii18
Just saw some videos on youtube about it.Actually,I know about osu! since around 2010 but I joined 3 years later
Rurree
Was hooked on DJ Max Technika back then. Then I got bored and asked in MyAnimeList for a free game online, then most suggested Osu!
Professor Gila
i saw my sister played this
gh500
I was looking for the OSU (Oklahoma State University) when I stumbled across this game. :roll:
Duzx
I was a long time rhythm game fan and actively searched online to find a game to play.
ruarifinn
I don't exactly remember how I got introduced to osu! but from what I remember, I was watching Dyrus's Stream (LoL Streamer) and he started playing on stream and the game looked very interesting as I loved music and anime, so I downloaded and 2 years later I don't regret anything :D
Harbyter
friend ~
rotodomo
Got here through social media. I was scouring the internet for coding blogs and stumbled across peppy's dev blog where he talked about this thing called osu!...

...and the rest is history...
wendyes
i actually first found out about this with the video of Cookiezi's old final play. I thought it was legit and started watching more videos of this game and getting into the drama and such lol. Didn't actually make an accout and play until recently though.
ouranhshc

this is what got me into osu!
Garven
I had played the DS games when they first came out after I found about about rhythm tengoku and started searching for music games on handhelds. After playing through those, I didn't really look for any alternatives until I saw a thread on 4chan talking about good music games "besides osu" so I came to check it out. Apparently it's been 6 years since then.
E_Sweezy
this ridiculous video got me initially interested after watching some memes of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPVIgshtOag
Hisoka Yuuji
A friend showed it to me,mania mode then,I re-started it now mostly because all other free-2-play games are getting boring and repetitive.
This is gold! You play your favourite music. Thank you peppy for creating this!!
;)
Doqtor Kirby
There's an osu! community in our high school gaming club.

I was watching the school's best player play.
show more