forum

New Wacom Intuos Tablet (CTL490DW): Good for osu?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Oatmeal
Wacom recently came out with a new tablet to replace the old Intuos tablet (CTL480).

I am thinking about getting a tablet from the Wacom website, but this new tablet (CTL490DW) had replaced the older version. I understand I can get it from Amazon and other venues, but since I saw the new release, it got me curious:

Is the new Wacom Intuos Draw CTL490DW any good for osu?

If you can answer, please reply to this thread. ((:

https://waa.ai/k4hp <-- new tablet
Topic Starter
Oatmeal
bump
KanoSet
there is a few posts about that alrdy
most of them are "480 is better for osu cuz 490 have lag input that may or may not be fixed in the future.. but overall 490 is a good tablet for drawing and stuff"
oh and something about improved surface
you are welcome
Topic Starter
Oatmeal

KanoSet wrote:

there is a few posts about that alrdy
most of them are "480 is better for osu cuz 490 have lag input that may or may not be fixed in the future.. but overall 490 is a good tablet for drawing and stuff"
oh and something about improved surface
you are welcome
thank you :)
Kafein_old_1
I don't know about the other versions of the 490s since a lot of people complain about them, but I have the Intuos Art (CTH-490) and it works great for me. No input lag whatsoever. That, or maybe I'm just lucky.
fr0ztbyte
I'm using the CTL490 and it's working pretty well for me, my input has an average of 0.80ms. I have no problems with it, or maybe I'm just lucky.
AbsurdDive
i recently got that tablet as a christmass gift.. and it's amazing (this is my first tablet)

it has a ridiculous amount of lag out of the box.. but once you download the latest drivers+fix my pen it's smooth as silk (and pretty much 0 input lag)

fr0ztbyte wrote:

I'm using the CTL490 and it's working pretty well for me, my input has an average of 0.80ms. I have no problems with it, or maybe I'm just lucky.
how did you measure it?? (if its the data that the "raw input" option draws.. i get like 5ms.. but it could be because i have a 60Hz monitor) lol

sent from an android phone (no internet on my pc.. using internet packs... orz)
Deva
All you need from a tablet for osu are absolute positioning and ability to change active area. Im not even sure if one without those two exist so go for the cheapest one since lag input wont really do much to you at your rank. Upgrade when you actually feel that input lag is hindering you.
Topic Starter
Oatmeal
All these people saying good things about the CTH490 right after I order the CTL480.

; <

Oh well. Gotta love with it now.
Deimousxo
I'm using a 490 and there indeed was input lag before the new driver came out. Now it works as good as my old one.
KSenC
I'm a guy that owns both ctl-490 and ctl-480.
I started osu about 3 months ago, using a ctl-490 from the start.

A few days ago, I found someone selling a close to brand new ctl-480 at half the price of retail (totally a steal)
Bought it as many ppl are recommending ctl-480 due to less input lag (old driver 6.3.9w5)

And wow, they're right. The cursor was so shaky and so snappy as compared to my ctl-490.

However, it didn't help me improve in anyway at all... I can't play my usual (5-5.5*) maps anymore because the cursor was too snappy and I was missing all my jumps. I thought I will eventually get used to it. But nope.. I just cant do the usual jumps anymore.

Really thought having the 480 would help me do jumps better. Instead, I got really bad at it and failing all jump maps that I used to get S in.

So.... I ditched the old driver and installed the new one (6.3.15-2) which is the same driver as my ctl 490.
After which, it almost felt exactly like my ctl-490 (maybe it's exactly the same). I was suddenly able to play my usual maps and do jumps properly.

The input delay felt the same as the old driver and my ctl-490, but the cursor is totally smooth, not shaky at all and isn't that snappy anymore.

I won't be switching back to ctl-490 though. Really happy with the ctl-480 now due to other reasons.

The biggest advantage of ctl-480 would be the hover range. (Actually alot higher than the hover range in ctl-490)
Another advantage would be the pen (grip feels rubbery and doesn't slip as easily as the pen for ctl-490)

I think you made the right choice going with the ctl-480 ^^
fr0ztbyte

n1nj4 wrote:

fr0ztbyte wrote:

how did you measure it?? (if its the data that the "raw input" option draws.. i get like 5ms.. but it could be because i have a 60Hz monitor)
I'm also using a 60Hz monitor, that shouldnt be the problem.
Kyozoru
Lel i use that tablet too, ctl-490, and my problem was delay, not until then there's fullscreen mode :)
The Gambler

Oatmeal wrote:

All these people saying good things about the CTH490 right after I order the CTL480.

; <

Oh well. Gotta love with it now.
Use 6.3.9w5 driver and your aim will look like it had Parkinsons. It's that responsive.
kurodahatsuharu
average latency for human is 300 ms, so few ms won't help you to play better anyway. I choose CTL 480 because is look shiny.
E m i

kurodahatsuharu wrote:

average latency for human is 300 ms, so few ms won't help you to play better anyway. I choose CTL 480 because is look shiny.
That is, quite simply, bullshit. The "300ms" lag you are talking about is also 0ms lag. Your perception alone constitutes most of that lag and thus, by definition, it cannot be perceived. Not only is the "input lag" portion of your inner human lag minor, which makes the "few ms" larger relatively to it than you proposed, but as it is something inherent to your body / brain and nervous system, every human is already a master at "being used to it" by default.

My brain is too small to process the effects of input lag on hand synchronization but it would give you two things to account for at once.
Kappadar

kurodahatsuharu wrote:

LOL "humans can only see 30fps so lets only play games in 30fps"
Macheew
I can't decide between the CTL480 and the CTL490. How is it working out for you so far? :D
animecandylive
I just picked up one, nothing I can complain about really. Just that every now I then I find myself holding up my mouse
XerionFire

Oatmeal wrote:

Wacom recently came out with a new tablet to replace the old Intuos tablet (CTL480).

I am thinking about getting a tablet from the Wacom website, but this new tablet (CTL490DW) had replaced the older version. I understand I can get it from Amazon and other venues, but since I saw the new release, it got me curious:

Is the new Wacom Intuos Draw CTL490DW any good for osu?

If you can answer, please reply to this thread. ((:

https://waa.ai/k4hp <-- new tablet

It always depends on the drivers. I have a Wacom Intuos CTL-4100 w/o bluetooth and it works perfectly. Now input lag. However I use hover but I dont think it makes a difference