forum

Sound Card and osu!

posted
Total Posts

Sound Card / Acc / Hr ?

Has a dedicated sound card (Sound Blaster Z, etc.)
11.40%
Uses motherboard sound card or USB peripheral
25.00%
-----------------------------------------------------------
0.88%
Accuracy: Above 99%
4.39%
98%-99%
12.28%
Below 98%
14.91%
-----------------------------------------------------------
0.88%
Love Hard Rock
13.60%
Hate Hard Rock
7.46%
Turnip
9.21%
Total votes: 228
Topic Starter
Clappy
3-part poll (1 Choice from sub-catagory please), I would like everyone to choose three real options, but of course turnip till the day we fall (LTT fans anyone?)
deletemyaccount
Does using a usb dac count as using a soundcard? I picked the first option fyi.
TakuMii
I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea to use a PCI/PCIe sound card for rhythm games due to the amount of additional delay they add (I'm not quite sure about USB DACs/cards, but that's still an additional device that the audio needs to pass through).
Topic Starter
Clappy

YayMii wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea to use a PCI/PCIe sound card for rhythm games due to the amount of additional delay they add (I'm not quite sure about USB DACs/cards, but that's still an additional device that the audio needs to pass through).
It's actually lower delay on audio than most integrated mobo sound cards.
TakuMii
Well, I know for sure that the Asus Xonar series is infamous for having high amounts of latency (and also seem to be the only cards available where I live).
Another thing to keep in mind is that many of these cards advertise low-latency ASIO support, but this API isn't supported by osu!, so it doesn't really affect the game.
Topic Starter
Clappy

YayMii wrote:

Well, I know for sure that the Asus Xonar series is infamous for having high amounts of latency (and also seem to be the only cards available where I live).
Another thing to keep in mind is that many of these cards advertise low-latency ASIO support, but this API isn't supported by osu!, so it doesn't really affect the game.
Sound cards on older motherboards z68 / p67 are not quite up to par with current devils canyon or skylake integrated mobo sound so, it helps give less of a delay. I'm using a sound blaster Z btw

Philantropist wrote:

Does using a usb dac count as using a soundcard? I picked the first option fyi.
I wouldn't since its traveling over usb instead of an analog signal
Endaris
I think for anyone below 5k pp it's completely unrelated to your soundcard whether you hate HR or not as there's more to hate about HR than just the OD...
The poll design is not very good either as you can't draw any conclusions with the singular options being unlinked in the poll.~
Topic Starter
Clappy

Endaris wrote:

I think for anyone below 5k pp it's completely unrelated to your soundcard whether you hate HR or not as there's more to hate about HR than just the OD...
The poll design is not very good either as you can't draw any conclusions with the singular options being unlinked in the poll.~
Thought about that afterwards but im way too lazy to make a google thingy and I mean I can sorta draw conclusions by a two way anova (i believe thats the right statistical analysis) but once again too lazy to get to work but I get the gist of what I wanted... I just wish more people had sound cards :( :( :(
Dreamcast
Is there a difference at all? (knowing you can adjust the offset to compensate bad latency)
dung eater

Dreamcast wrote:

Is there a difference at all? (knowing you can adjust the offset to compensate bad latency)
you can't rly, you can only adjust the music - hitwindow offset, not the offset of all sounds

if you play without hitsounds it's doable
Dreamcast

jaaakb wrote:

Dreamcast wrote:

you can't rly, you can only adjust the music - hitwindow offset, not the offset of all sounds

if you play without hitsounds it's doable
oh, you're right