forum

SOFT: osu!mania FFA Tournament - Concluded [Winner: Cobo-]

posted
Total Posts
show more
KcHecKa
I would like to enter, my timezone is -5 UTC whatever
LightDreamer
Does the disconnection rule applies to dying graphic chipset? I would gladly enter, but I don't know if I'll stay on the whole time..... It's a question of luck..... Well, I'll test abit more if mania freeze completely or only partially when the driver stops working........ And I may enter if it's not too bad.... Or in the worst case, I can always borrow my brother's PC...... Yes, I'll do that if the problem is too bad.

Count me in to represent the more "bad" players.
UTC-5 (Quebec)
I'm available, well, always. Even in the middle of the night, haha.
[-obee58-]
I want to join (omg my first tourneyment)
UTC-5 (East USA)

I'm actually like 8k skill because i got a new keyboard and the buttons are a pain to play mania with :C
Typically available 4:30 to 6 my time on weekdays, but on weekends it's whenever during the day
Ealio
I will join :3 UTC+1 i prefer play the week-end
Topic Starter
Halogen-

leondance8 wrote:

YES! FINALLY I BEEN WAITING, I AM IN FOR THIS, I usually stay up a bit on Friday and Saturday, But I sleep mostly sometimes, I won't be able to join in
Monday-Thursday
I usually wake up late on Saturdays and Sundays. Also, There may be a problem, I could join at 2:20 PM to 2:40 PM may have to go around 6.
MY UTC time is -5:00 I am pretty sure this is EST time, if I am wrong, Then please correct me.
I won't be able to play Sunday Nights because always, people may always have school to go through..

I'll be available around Friday and Saturday Nights.

I can only play 4K
Your time preferences don't seem very specific to me and I cannot generalize the time that you'd like to be around. For a note to everyone that has a more strained than normal schedule, do your best to be specific about times that you have a much higher certainty to play for, rather than trying to put out preferences, because the chances of you getting a time that is better for you will improve if you can give me more concrete time blocks that are good for you.

LightDreamer wrote:

Does the disconnection rule applies to dying graphic chipset? I would gladly enter, but I don't know if I'll stay on the whole time..... It's a question of luck..... Well, I'll test abit more if mania freeze completely or only partially when the driver stops working........ And I may enter if it's not too bad.... Or in the worst case, I can always borrow my brother's PC...... Yes, I'll do that if the problem is too bad.

Count me in to represent the more "bad" players.
UTC-5 (Quebec)
I'm available, well, always. Even in the middle of the night, haha.
The disconnection rule is an all-encompassing situation for when a player leaves the lobby. Getting stuck in the lobby is a case-by-case basis that will be handled, but it will likely be handled in the same way. I may come up with an internal clause (i.e. not shown in this particular thread but handed to referees) regarding a special case situation where a player remains in the lobby but is not responsive. That is somewhat low priority at the moment, since the tournament is still into sign-up stages and could stand to wait a bit longer for more refinement of logistics.

84 sign-ups so far!

EDIT: Actually, I received a private message regarding disconnections, so I should clarify how the process works in here. I'll add this clarification to the OP as well.

A player who disconnects from their lobby will have a two minute disconnection timer, and will have two disconnections in a given match. You cannot use both disconnections on a single song -- if a disconnection twice on the same song, the second disconnection will not be nullified and the other player will immediately receive a point. At that point, a player will still have one disconnection remaining to apply the timer.

If the disconnection timer hits 0 for a player, the player's 10 minute grace period will begin to drop; this emphasizes the importance of arriving to your matches on time, as this is the same grace period timer that will begin to reduce if a player arrives to their match lobby late. If at any point in the match, a player's grace period timer hits 0, then the match will be forfeited. Those of you that are worried about potentially getting disqualified due to disconnection, it will take a rather severe circumstance to cause you to lose the match.
LightDreamer
Ok...... So, if the game freeze (in the song or in the lobby) it won't really count, is that it? I usually need one minute to restart the game completely (this includes the rage)
Topic Starter
Halogen-
It can essentially be a mulligan run if the issue arises within the disconnection conditions as outlined in the post. If it happens early enough, the song can be restarted. Even with that rule in place, it's not a free pass -- a second freeze/issue on the same song will be an automatic point for the other player despite having two available disconnections, as you are only allowed one single restart per song.
LightDreamer
Shouldn't be a problem. It usually stays long enough for at least a map after restart.
Kaito-kun
Just some things I wanna clear before entering:

1. On the "Warm-up Songs" part, shouldn't the last sentence be "Warm-up songs will be on free mods, allowing for any special modifications that you see fit for the purpose of warming up properly.". Also, regarding that, maybe you should add something about DT, just in case (in the sense that someone may choose an easy map, but add DT as a mod. So the question is: is that allowed?)

2. About how hard will the maps be specifically? I only know that on Qualifiers, there will be 4 songs, one harder than the other. But there isn't anything that tells me if I'm good to go for the challenge (Might not be up against my competition, but I want to at least know if I'm able to pass set songs). So a little something like saying "Maps will be extremely hard, only considerable good 4k players can take on the challenge" or something like that may do the trick (but also, specifying a bit more won't hurt either).

Anyways, these are my only concerns with this. I'm in either way lol. UTC is -4, and as long as matches start AFTER 14:00UTC, I'm fine with it
lenpai
Mmm looking good. Joining (UTC +8) can only play saturdays 3pm-8pm local time if that's ok.
shellopello
I wanna play(UTC +2) and only on saturday and sunday.
Kiritos_ASP
IM GOING TO PARTICIPATE TOOO!!!
ID:kiritos_asp
UTC+8
AkaXiiaoBii
I want join this tournament
Time Zone : UTC+8
Chronocide
Hey hey, sign me up!

Timezone: UTC+1

Let's see how far I can get :D
AkaiiTk
UTC +8 :D
Failbug
Sign me up!
Utc +1
Nitrox1de
UTC+7 (western indo time)
Topic Starter
Halogen-
I have added a poll to this thread, and will be sending out private messages to all of the users that have joined later today. I encourage you to answer the poll honestly: this is your experience!
adrien062
Let's go to try, UTC+1, I'm available week end and thursday from 15:00 ( 3pm )
trexex55
UTC+8 I'M IN
adrien062FanBoy
why does this happen when I dont play anymore ;w;
I'm letting my spot to someone more active, this tournament seems really great though, I hope the staff won't have too many problems to deal with !
Good luck to all players and staff o/
LightDreamer
I Join Kaito-kun in his question about the map's difficulty. I'm far from being a pro player, not even a very good player..... This said, I have a visual handicap that makes some patterns hard to read. So if the maps are too hard for me, it wont be fair.

I don't see the point in letting non-top players participate if the top ones do participate. Non-top have basically no chance if the maps are top player grade.....
-Konner-

LightDreamer wrote:

I Join Kaito-kun in his question about the map's difficulty. I'm far from being a pro player, not even a very good player..... This said, I have a visual handicap that makes some patterns hard to read. So if the maps are too hard for me, it wont be fair.

I don't see the point in letting non-top players participate if the top ones do participate. Non-top have basically no chance if the maps are top player grade.....
This is what the qualifiers are for as well as seeding. Having some kind of rank based restriction doesn't work well in mania due to the many different key modes giving points. If you take the time to participate in the qualifiers and don't pass through or don't pass the maps themselves. Nobody is going to say anything about it. The only thing that will be wasted is your own time and that is only if you think about it in that away. It could be a good learning experience.

I do not speak for Halogen-, so if i am wrong on something feel free to call me out.
Daikyi
Also, it's superb that Halogen- is guaranteeing /everyone/ stream time. That's incredibly rare, especially with tournaments of this size.
Gazelle
so in :^) UTC-5
Topic Starter
Halogen-

Kaito-kun wrote:

1. On the "Warm-up Songs" part, shouldn't the last sentence be "Warm-up songs will be on free mods, allowing for any special modifications that you see fit for the purpose of warming up properly.". Also, regarding that, maybe you should add something about DT, just in case (in the sense that someone may choose an easy map, but add DT as a mod. So the question is: is that allowed?)

2. About how hard will the maps be specifically? I only know that on Qualifiers, there will be 4 songs, one harder than the other. But there isn't anything that tells me if I'm good to go for the challenge (Might not be up against my competition, but I want to at least know if I'm able to pass set songs). So a little something like saying "Maps will be extremely hard, only considerable good 4k players can take on the challenge" or something like that may do the trick (but also, specifying a bit more won't hurt either).

Anyways, these are my only concerns with this. I'm in either way lol. UTC is -4, and as long as matches start AFTER 14:00UTC, I'm fine with it
With respect to point 1: free mod/free mods, yeah - same thing. As far as DT: yes, a player is allowed to pick a map and set it on DT as a warmup. This is forbidden for regular song choices.

With respect to point 2: I will not be giving out difficulty estimates. Do your best to maximize your level of play so that you can withstand the maps as they come, and at least trust in the fact that I am not going to massacre players in a bracket of this size. I know what I am doing, I promise -- you will not be playing ridiculous maps in the round of 128. The qualifiers will have a vast range in difficulty, but that is to ensure reasonable seeding.

LightDreamer wrote:

I will tell you to reference above. There's nothing unfair about it -- I don't know what your visual handicap is, but I dunno how anything would be unfair, personally.

As far as your second point: you are way too fixated on performance, and not on the experience. Plenty of players are entering this tournament with a full understanding that they might not make it very far; they're joining because it's a large tournament, with a wide range of skill, a large number of players, representing a myriad of areas. You might not see the point, but I am hosting this tournament for everyone to have a good time. I am going to take the time to stream every single match in this tournament (barring something unforseen), and everyone will get to see themselves after everything is said and done. You'll have something that you can share to others.

EDIT: 97 users entered. I will be populating this list of users in a private message asking them to vote on the poll.
JOEMOMO
I noticed that you hadn't included the timing info for myself on the list:
UTC +0, Can do Mon-Fri post 6pm because of school and weekends
LightDreamer
Sorry for my weird concern..... I guess you're right.

Anyway, I was wondering if skins will be visible in stream. I know it might be a bit weird to watch numerous different skins, but that wuld look cool.
-Konner-

LightDreamer wrote:

Anyway, I was wondering if skins will be visible in stream. I know it might be a bit weird to watch numerous different skins, but that wuld look cool.
The tournament client uses the default skin for every player shown.
Kaito-kun

Halogen- wrote:

Kaito-kun wrote:

With respect to point 1: free mod/free mods, yeah - same thing. As far as DT: yes, a player is allowed to pick a map and set it on DT as a warmup. This is forbidden for regular song choices.

With respect to point 2: I will not be giving out difficulty estimates. Do your best to maximize your level of play so that you can withstand the maps as they come, and at least trust in the fact that I am not going to massacre players in a bracket of this size. I know what I am doing, I promise -- you will not be playing ridiculous maps in the round of 128. The qualifiers will have a vast range in difficulty, but that is to ensure reasonable seeding.
Well, I asked that since I wouldn't want to simply fail all of the songs in the qualifiers lol, since that would be a true waste of time imo (I don't mind getting crushed, as long as I know I did my best tho). Thx for the reply btw.
Baal-
I want to join :D (UTC -3:00)
Topic Starter
Halogen-

-Konner- wrote:

LightDreamer wrote:

The tournament client uses the default skin for every player shown.
I've actually circumvented this in testing and do not plan on using the regular skin -- I'm going to be using the O2Jam Ultimate skin.
Yellyfish
Sign me up ! (UTC+8)

Ikaros- told me to mention his name here so he gets a free cookie.

Jellyfish out
[ SaintEyes ]
I want to enter (UTC +9)
Jepetski
I WANT TO ENTER THX YES UTCidk i'm in the same time zone as the other finns, i do have school during the week but weekends i'm free and possibly friday evenings as well
Navigation_old_1
well, i support, then :>
Christ31
i would like to join :) ( UTC+7 )
JTZY0428
I wanna join ^^
UTC/GMT +8 hours

godofrhythm_12
godofrhythm_12 (UTC+8)
HaiHai
Utc +01:00 Lets do this :D
show more