forum

Osu! United States Cup | Canceled!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Raniemi
Do the states in round 2 not play until round 1 is over?
Woey
Pavor Nocturnus <3
Stuffed Otter

Woey wrote:

Pavor Nocturnus <3
Same!
Mahogany
best map
Mahogany
Halfslashed
Mappool looks fun, if not unbalanced in difficulty. What a brutal group stage.. I like it!

If you keep this level of map diversity in future pools, they should be good.
Mahogany
Broadcast over! Thanks to all who watched.
Woey
I was just going to message this to Brony, but I think this could help if anyone besides me was confused.

Could you please clarify the current bracket situation? If this first week is group stage then does the bracket currently even have purpose at this point?
Jona7117
Are the brackets now final ?
Topic Starter
WriggleNightbug

jona7117 wrote:

Are the brackets now final ?
Yes!

Captains, these will be your matchups, please PM each other, and me to discuss match times, THIS WEEK IS THE ONLY WEEK EITHER DAY IS OPEN!
CptHampton

cgutshall wrote:

TuckerthePwner wrote:

https://i.ppy.sh/fa044df722a1c06ef5d58504c886601d2b9abf44/687474703a2f2f7075752e73682f6d686a38522f323264656239663465322e706e67

No Tennessee? :,(
Unfortunately, Tennessee is RIP D:
Interesting...I know at least I signed up for Tennessee
turdles
ey, can I get my state fixed to utah?
Topic Starter
WriggleNightbug

turdles wrote:

ey, can I get my state fixed to utah?
Sorry man, brackets are final, i cannot change anything team related anymore.
reflection

Woey wrote:

I was just going to message this to Brony, but I think this could help if anyone besides me was confused.

Could you please clarify the current bracket situation? If this first week is group stage then does the bracket currently even have purpose at this point?
this
is it just being called a group stage because owc or
Topic Starter
WriggleNightbug

Apraxia wrote:

Woey wrote:

this
is it just being called a group stage because owc or
I've always seen "group Stage" refer to the first round, so i just stick with it, if it's incorrect, then i have a habit to try to break
Arakune_old_1

darklord142 wrote:

Uhm. Just wondering. How did i not make team Florida? Was it the capitan's decition orrrr..
rip guy who's better than me
zove
GO TEAM NEW JERSEY!

Also is there a set time for when the first tourney match will be streamed on the 30th, sorry if it was said Im really stupid. :P
xxdeathx
yeahh cali!!!
Topic Starter
WriggleNightbug

PastaCats wrote:

GO TEAM NEW JERSEY!

Also is there a set time for when the first tourney match will be streamed on the 30th, sorry if it was said Im really stupid. :P
The first match's time will be determined by wednesday, when i have word from captains with what times are good for their respective teams' schedules
grimy

TheBronyGames wrote:

I've always seen "group Stage" refer to the first round, so i just stick with it, if it's incorrect, then i have a habit to try to break
as I understand it, groups refer to a section of a tourney where there are a significant amount of teams grouped into sections where a round-robin is played, and then the top few teams (amount determined by the TO) are them seeded and a bracket is made.
Kradfiz
Why are some states starting in round 2? Are they not playing the first round, or do they face winner of the two beneath them?
Spaghetti
CALI BOYS
Topic Starter
WriggleNightbug
Match times have been posted for week 1! Captains, if these times aren't good for your schedules, LET ME KNOW ASAP!
Minhtam
What the... Why is this map in the no-mod pool? https://osu.ppy.sh/s/301703
_WinRAWR

Minhtam wrote:

easy
Mahogany

Minhtam wrote:

Uh...why not?
grimy

Minhtam wrote:

of all the maps in the nomod pool to gripe about....
-Makishima S-

Minhtam wrote:

Please explain.
GRR SNARL GROWL

Minhtam wrote:

I don't get what you're complaining about, https://osu.ppy.sh/s/317275 is easier, https://osu.ppy.sh/s/204453 is longer, it's mapped really well, and there are plenty of harder maps in all pools.
Tenshi
If you could let the captains know that their match time and date had been changed, that'd be great. Thanks.
-Visceral-
Thank you for absolutely 0 notification that our schedule was changed, and for not getting back to me when I messaged you in game. We can't play in 3 hours.
ChitogeOP
Agree with everyone else, I don't think Colorado will be able to play today either unless it is much later tonight. schedule was moved an hour ahead atleast.

You might wanna reschedule the missed games for next weekend (or something along those lines.)

Edit: postponed, let me know the time asap, thanks :)
fieryrage
new york vs missouri 1v1 l o l
what a joke
Fangzy

Smoothie World wrote:

Thank you for absolutely 0 notification that our schedule was changed, and for not getting back to me when I messaged you in game. We can't play in 3 hours.
I agree with Smoothie. I never was notified that our match was switched to the 30th. You guys seriously need to msg us so we know...
Xilver15
is this some sort of joke

Can you please set a fixed schedule a few days before it's actually time to play? You can't just change times on a whim like that without letting teams know and expect them to comply to these changes.
Topic Starter
WriggleNightbug

Xilver wrote:

is this some sort of joke

Can you please set a fixed schedule a few days before it's actually time to play? You can't just change times on a whim like that without letting teams know and expect them to comply to these changes.

Fangzy wrote:

Smoothie World wrote:

I agree with Smoothie. I never was notified that our match was switched to the 30th. You guys seriously need to msg us so we know...

ChitogeOP wrote:

Agree with everyone else, I don't think Colorado will be able to play today either unless it is much later tonight. schedule was moved an hour ahead atleast.

You might wanna reschedule the missed games for next weekend (or something along those lines.)

Edit: postponed, let me know the time asap, thanks :)
I thought I sent messages out notifying of changes that occurred due to schedule conflicts with other teams, if you did not receive them, i wholeheartedly apologize, and I promise to make sure that something like this doesn't happen again
grimy

TheBronyGames wrote:

I thought I sent messages out notifying of changes that occurred due to schedule conflicts with other teams, if you did not receive them, i wholeheartedly apologize, and I promise to make sure that something like this doesn't happen again
It's still ridiculous to be changing match times with less than two days' time before the match itself. This is just not something that should be done, personal schedules will have been adjusted and it's unfair to all members involved to have such short notice leaving teams in a position that they may not be able to realistically compete with their opponents due to sudden changes. I really hope next week doesn't have this sort of behavior and that communication is orders of magnitude better than it was this week.
I also was not notified, and learned that my schedule has been changed on the day. While it is on the weekends I also have some things to do (shopping, cleaning, finishing up work, etc) that is necessary. If you could set up a definite schedule around wednesday i can actually modify my schedule to fit the tourney time. I wasted few hours warming up and waiting for match to start when i could have finished my necessities.
Also secondly while I understand this is a new thing for the staff, but waiting 5 minutes for a mappick is sort of ridiculous. If the schedule is going to be tight (an hour for a bo7 with >5min maps) it would run a lot more smoother if you are able to set time for everything. for example you could say, warmup needs to be shorter than 4mins, map should be picked with in a minute, and so on. Also there were many issues during our match (mentioned earlier 5min for mappick, wrong map chosen by staff).
Lastly stream is not going that well. The computer obviously couldnt handle the client running, and the commentating was, sorry to say, not commentating. I can see that it is hard to commentate while the client lag, but all i heard when I was looking back was "wow" "carry by *** (this person is prioritized)" etc. I did not hear things like "miss by ***! this will cost the team a lot, but the other team's acc is not helping them out point wise" or something like that, the overall excitement was missing, which was sort of disappointing knowing there are countless talents out there playing.
Hopefully Im not being too rude, but i hope my opinion matters.
I loved seeing some of the unnoticed talent, hoping to see more soon :3
Swell
Yeah, as far as my reffing is concerned. I won't deny it was pretty bad. So I won't make any excuses for it. I'll be looking to improve over the next weeks with it and I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.
Ignite
There are a lot of things that can and most importantly should be fixed if you plan on holding any other sort of tournament. This is especially important if you plan on running this similar to the OWC. Please note that these are strictly my opinion, so don't go bashing me for it.

Match Schedules

Most people playing are teenagers. Some have part time jobs and others don't. What this means is, you can plan a schedule only 3-4 days before a match. If you need to reschedule, not only do you have very minimal time, but then you also might have to reschedule multiple people. Schedules need to be posted at least 1 week in advance of the matches. This gives ample time to reschedule, and for teams to plan out their match. Also, if a team is not ready on the day of the match (unless of an emergency), it is 100% their fault. They should be disqualified and not be offered "get out of jail free cards" such as: "Just play 3v3 or 2v2 etc". Which brings me to my next point.

Referee Leniency

The referee for my match was way to soft towards the opposing team. My team as all accounted for at the start of our match, but the opposing team had only 3 of 5 players there. Instead of waiting for someone to show up within 10-15 minutes, they we're allowed to play, changing the game to a 3v3 format. Not only is this completely unfair, but then a 4th member of the team showed up an hour after the match. I'm not saying if a player isn't available at the start he shouldn't play. What I mean is, if your team isn't ready to play, not only should they not be able to play, but a player coming in an hour after the set match time should not be allowed to participate.

Map Pool

I don't agree with a lot of the picks in this pool mainly because of their length or difficulty. Most of the maps are very slider and stream heavy, which is understandable. The big issue with Scorev2 is the strictness of sliders. Some of these maps play way too much into that for this early on in the tournament. Algebra (which was used in the semifinals in OWC) is a fine example of this. Due to the high quantity of fast and tricky sliders, this map is very difficult to accuracy let alone full combo. The first set of maps should not be difficult to fc. They shouldn't be easy, but something that provides a fair challenge. It might be better to consult higher ranked player or mapper to evaluate your map pool before making it official.

Commentating

The commentating was just plain awful. I couldn't tell how many people were actually commentating because, for the most part, there was just dead air. Nobody was saying anything. Every now and again someone would peep up saying something about the game at hand but, if that's all you're going to do, you practically useless. With games as slow and anticlimactic as these, I can figure out who missed and who won myself. Please at least add some cheesy banter between commentators, or at least try to interact with the audience. The stream was painfully boring.

General Thoughts

For the little bit I was in this tournament I felt no sense of real urgency or seriousness. Almost as if the whole this was made and run haphazardly with nobody making sure everything was running smoothly. I see that you are trying to run everything yourself: hosting, reffing, commentating, but you need someone to supervise everything. You clearly have to much on your plate and you can't make sure everything is going to work. Try to find more people interesting in taking on these roles, rather than having the same person do everything. This means you and everyone else have more time to prepare, and ensure that everybody has a good experience.

Please remember that everything said is my general opinion on the matter. If you have anything to add or argue about, please reply so that the next time a tournament like this is made, we can make sure we wont have these issues.
show more