forum

Warmup hand stretches

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
extremeaxe5
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could give me some pointers for some stretches for warming up the hands before playing? If not stretches, some other advice? I've looked at some other threads on this topic, but I couldn't find any cohesive answers.

I've been playing about 90 minutes a day recently, and I've started to have some hand pain. It's relatively mild now, but I want to prevent it from becoming severe.

Thanks!
blitZee
To be honest, the pain isn't going to go away until your muscles accommodate to the strain you put on them, and even then there's gonna be pain once you start playing stamina intensive maps. If you wanna do hand stretches, I'd recommend doing simple finger stretches and moving them as if you were flipping a coin on top of them (I'm pretty sure you know how that looks like), but the more important thing would be to warm up your wrist muscle area. Any kind of stretches that target that muscle group should be ok.

As for non-stretch related warm up, I usually jump into a map I can't really play well. That prepares me for harder stuff, and in turn I play better. If I start from easy maps, I just kinda tune out and play for fun without much effort, and then I suck on harder maps. The stuff that usually gets me going would be any kind of jack map with 140+ BPM 1/4 (16th) jacks.

Warm up isn't really covered because some players don't need it and those who do warm ups do them differently, so it's kinda hard to advice here.

Just an additional note here. Pain shouldn't be completely ignored if it doesn't go away for a really long time. See a doctor if the pain is severe and doesn't go away even when you're not playing. You might have damaged your muscles or potentially have CTS.
M a h o u
Pain from rhythm games usually comes from these few things...
1. Poor posture/technique
2. Over playing.
3. Physical limitations.

I've also taken the liberty to googling some wrists/finger stretches that you might be interested in as well. I personally like doing the wrists flexor.
http://www.toc.md/exercises_wristhand.htm

If you're getting mild hand pain from playing 90 minutes a day, I don't think there is really much to be worried about; however, if you go an extended period of time without playing and the pain still persists, you should probably go see a doctor about the case.

From the time I've been playing rhythm games, most people fall into category number 1 or 2. I've rarely seen any player develop CTS - as a matter of fact, I've only seen 2 people in the community I play in develop CTS.
When I warm up in any game I play, I like to gradually build myself up (kind of like sports). I don't see the point of going full tilt out in songs because that only started to give me bad habits - you usually play very sloppy and end up wasting energy. Take it easy at first and know your limits. Work your way up from this point and increase the intensity. When you finally feel warmed up, push yourself so you can get better at the game.
Bobbias
It is completely possible to develop CTS if you play a lot. That said, stretches are a good way to avoid RSI, and are always a good idea.
M a h o u

Bobbias wrote:

It is completely possible to develop CTS if you play a lot. That said, stretches are a good way to avoid RSI, and are always a good idea.
The OP didn't ask what's possible.
Topic Starter
extremeaxe5
Alright, thanks for the answers everybody.

I tried the stretches you two outlined before playing today, and there was much less pain. Maybe that was all I needed. I will get over the potential embarrassment and go see a doctor if it gets any worse.

I probably should have asked this in my original post (if no one responds, I'll make another thread), but since I'm here: I've seen some boxers and other athletes dunk their hands into a bucket of ice water after their workout sessions. Is doing this after osu!mania sessions also beneficial?
M a h o u

extremeaxe5 wrote:

I tried the stretches you two outlined before playing today, and there was much less pain. Maybe that was all I needed. I will get over the potential embarrassment and go see a doctor if it gets any worse.
I really don't think that the issue is that severe. I'm playing way more than 90 minutes a day (breaks of course), and I'm still going perfectly fine. :)

extremeaxe5 wrote:

I probably should have asked this in my original post (if no one responds, I'll make another thread), but since I'm here: I've seen some boxers and other athletes dunk their hands into a bucket of ice water after their workout sessions. Is doing this after osu!mania sessions also beneficial?
In my opinion, I don't think it's really that necessary. What I found helpful is taking a protein shake at the end of the night...but maybe that just works for me? I don't know. I will say that most people use more muscles from their arms than their fingers.