forum

Tablet Players: Hover or Drag?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Quag
Do you hover the pen a little bit above the tablet or do you keep it in contact with the tablet and drag along?

I am odd, so I drag, but can hover fine to do other things.
Pituophis
I drag.
I've tried hovering. I can make movements faster hovering, but my cursor is so shaky I miss a lot with it.
Raniemi
Can't aim at all while hovering.
Maybe because I'm so used to dragging my mouse to aim
Nabel_old_1
When I play with tablet I drag. Hovering feels awkward and less accurate for me.
deletemyaccount
Hover.

Just did it when I started playing and now it feels like second nature while dragging feels wrong.
Mr Meeseeks_old_1
When i first tried playing osu with the tablet, hovering felt so weird so i dragged. But overtime i started hovering and its become a lot better for me. All personal preference
avan

Pituophis wrote:

I drag.
I've tried hovering. I can make movements faster hovering, but my cursor is so shaky I miss a lot with it.
this
Risa
Hover all the way bcus dragging feels weird for me
Infevo
there are 2 viable techniques.

1. full drag
2. hover between snaps and drag sliders/streams by preference

noone fully hovers unless using really big tablet area. but then again, snapping is really key to perfect aim.

i do no.2 and drag streams and sliders.
deletemyaccount

Infevo wrote:

1. full drag

noone fully hovers unless using really big tablet area. but then again, snapping is really key to perfect aim.

mfw I fully hover on a semi-small area.

Do you think I would see an improvement if I started to drag?
Mr Meeseeks_old_1

Infevo wrote:

1. full drag

I hover on a very small tablet area
Saphirshroom

Infevo wrote:

1. full drag

Iirc these two both play full hover
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/cookiezi
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/axarious
Infevo

Saphirshroom wrote:

Infevo wrote:

1. full drag

implying 2 of the best players don't snap. watch their replays and take notice of their cursor not vibrating due to momentum even in the slightest during the fastest jump patterns when hitting circles.

again, noone on high level fully hovers. it is absolutely counterproductive to get this bad habbit in the long run and aim is one of the most important aspects in this game.

Philantropist wrote:

mfw I fully hover on a semi-small area.

Do you think I would see an improvement if I started to drag?

I can't guarantee you improving when you start dragging but I can assure you you won't hit a wall in terms of aim when it comes to fast and complex jump patterns and bigger jumps because of full hover.

As mentioned, you don't need to fully drag. As long as you snap properly you won't need your pen nib to touch the tablet surface otherwise. Ask yourself why you even play tablet instead of mouse and why tablet is superiour to mouse in this game. The whole point of using the tablet is the absolute aim versus relative aim. And once you hover you have to understand that with each additional mm off your tablet you lose reliability. What is going to make sure your pen nib is always at a perfectly equal distance to your tablet at every point x/y? The best way to make sure that you get most out of your tablet's advantage, the absolute aim, is actually using it. And this is done by snapping physically/tapping with your pen nib onto the surface when necessary or even dragging fully.
And this aspect about tablets makes it even more powerful when you consider that pens have way less momentum than mice. Plus, you don't need to worry rotating your pen wrongly by moving quickly. Basically, all you need to learn is your tablet area and get down the muscle memory to instantly hit a certain point of your surface so that you can move with any desired speed you want. With mouse, this is all not so easy.
Saphirshroom

Infevo wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

implying 2 of the best players don't snap. watch their replays and take notice of their cursor not vibrating due to momentum even in the slightest during the fastest jump patterns when hitting circles.
What.
I literally said "these two both play full hover". How am I in any way implying that they are not snapping? I'm implying that drag vs. hover is preference.
https://ask.fm/Axarious/answers/132200432982
[Polybius]

Infevo wrote:

1. full drag

I full hover and i don't use a big tablet area. i use about 1/6th of the tablet.
Yakuyan
Because my pen is near the tablet itself, I hover most of the time but drag when there are circles near the top. If anybody can spare the time, would anyone tell me why dragging affects the tablet and pen in terms of quality or durability overtime?
deletemyaccount

Infevo wrote:

I can't guarantee you improving when you start dragging but I can assure you you won't hit a wall in terms of aim when it comes to fast and complex jump patterns and bigger jumps because of full hover.

As mentioned, you don't need to fully drag. As long as you snap properly you won't need your pen nib to touch the tablet surface otherwise. Ask yourself why you even play tablet instead of mouse and why tablet is superiour to mouse in this game. The whole point of using the tablet is the absolute aim versus relative aim. And once you hover you have to understand that with each additional mm off your tablet you lose reliability. What is going to make sure your pen nib is always at a perfectly equal distance to your tablet at every point x/y? The best way to make sure that you get most out of your tablet's advantage, the absolute aim, is actually using it. And this is done by snapping physically/tapping with your pen nib onto the surface when necessary or even dragging fully.
And this aspect about tablets makes it even more powerful when you consider that pens have way less momentum than mice. Plus, you don't need to worry rotating your pen wrongly by moving quickly. Basically, all you need to learn is your tablet area and get down the muscle memory to instantly hit a certain point of your surface so that you can move with any desired speed you want. With mouse, this is all not so easy.
Thanks. Pretty informative post, I never thought about aiming like that at all. I tried dragging today and found that it made me aim more consistently when playing hr but I struggled to keep up when playing faster maps. Keeping the pen as close to the tablet as possible definitely improves aim and I feel extremely stupid for not realising this.
vsprite
I drag streams and tap jumps
S[u]nD[e]Yz

Infevo wrote:

1. full drag

I Fully Hover and it doesn't feel weird at all :O
Rilene

vsprite wrote:

I drag streams and tap jumps
Mr Meeseeks_old_1

TheBurningFlame wrote:

Because my pen is near the tablet itself, I hover most of the time but drag when there are circles near the top. If anybody can spare the time, would anyone tell me why dragging affects the tablet and pen in terms of quality or durability overtime?
Think about it. The tip of your pen is making physical contact with the tablet when dragging. Hence why it'll wear out overtime if u drag
ShedowShedow

feshc wrote:

TheBurningFlame wrote:

Think about it. The tip of your pen is making physical contact with the tablet when dragging. Hence why it'll wear out overtime if u drag
^this. The tip on my huion 420 has rounded out quite a few times and become hard to drag. Happens every ~1250 plays or so and I've got to replace it with the spares or adjust my sensitivity/active area to compensate. I did some pretty crazy plays(for my level) while hovering when I first got my tablet, but I eventually started dragging because it's a lot easier on my hand when I'm playing multi, waiting during resting periods in songs, etc.