forum

MitiS - 1.16.2016

posted
Total Posts
show more
Wafu

Sieg wrote:

even if you try to download this song from his SC quality will be the same, guess you know how to use Spek :3 So you can't actually blame Hula for the mp3 quality
but of course there is no reason to uprate this to 192kbps while original is in 128kpbs (tho I don't think this is unrankable), and skipping mods is no-no
  1. 1. SC is higher quality. I exactly posted the picture for comparison. He didn't have to convert it at all because SC does have exactly 128kbps. Already explained SC (which could pretty much be just replaced without converting) vs his mp3 here: (SC) (His mp3)

Therefore there IS higher quality available and anyone claiming it is 100% wrong.
  2. 2. RC even says "Try and source mp3 files yourself; ripping them from a streaming video site often results in low quality audio with high file sizes." - That's making it inappropriate and "The song's audio file must be of reasonable quality" makes it unrankable, because it is not reasonable. Why high file size + worse quality? That's not reasonable
Topic Starter
Hula
Wafu, you're not listening.

There's youtube or SC, there's no itunes, no amazon, no spotify, no bandcamp, there's no other place you can get this mp3. I have to rip it from either SC or youtube.

I HAVE to reencode it and place silence at the start cos the offset is something like -2 on both rips because they're uploaded both by the same guy, probably exactly same file, i don't even know. So reencoding will probably cause some quality loss.

SC is higher quality on the graph, but seemingly marginal, and listening to them with my headphones, I can't hear any difference. I didn't upscale from 128 ever, I know that's pointless, can't make something out of nothing.

Youtube has higher quality audio than SC, and I ripped from SC.
Sieg
Audio quality difference is not more than 3-5% which is negligible for this bitrate anyways (you won't be able to recognize it blindly). That's why I state again that quality all the same.
Okoratu
I think the main argument here is that this is 128 kbs quality encoded to 192 kbs

Which i didnt notice since reading spectrographs to find out if the mp3 is wasting filesize is not sth i can do efficiently because nobody used to care as long as the mp3 isnt noticably broken.

How big is the difference between the 128 and 192 kbs version here anyways i dont want to sound rude but as far as i can see no filesize limitations were broken here.
Wafu

Hula wrote:

I HAVE to reencode it and place silence at the start cos the offset is something like -2 on both rips because they're uploaded both by the same guy, probably exactly same file, i don't even know. So reencoding will probably cause some quality loss.
No re-encoding is needed because SC does have the pause you are requiring and first downbeat is not cut there at all.

@Sieg: Well, people will probably not hear difference between 96kbps and 128kbps, but that doesn't mean we can use it. The main problem is the reason for encoding <128kbps to 192kbps to just degrade it even more and increase filesize. That's making it not reasonable quality. Reasonable = Makes sense = Makes sense with used bitrate.

@Okoratu: It broke "mp3 quality is not reasonable as I described above". And if you don't want to be rude why'd you qualify completely not caring that I was going to mod it. Difference by filesize is 1MB (SC does have 2MB) - Therefore 1/2 of original file as additional file size. Not really reasonable.

Well, I'm getting to OT already, not going to post here anymore unless related discussion. Others avoid it too, talk only about two issues I mentioned. That it is harder to notice doesn't make it passing rules.
Krfawy
I want to say the notes' volume from 00:33:107 - till 01:33:107 - seems inaudible. The music is way louder than the notes so you'll see it's way easier to play the map if you set values between 20 and 23 in the timing sections. This applies to the whole set.

Voli's Medium
  1. 01:44:357 (1) - Genitalia sliders are unrankable and you've used a vagina-shaped slider. Simply I recommend some regular oval/ractangle/round shape instead of this one.
Ayyy YuiiMinus! HAYA! aka I was trying to make it sound like a Macarena song XDDD
  1. You are capable of blankets which is shown here: 00:19:044 (2,3) - So why haven't you used them at the moments below so the mapset is Polished and nice and smooth and designed properly? D:
    1. 00:26:544 (2,3) -
    2. 00:41:544 (2,3) -
    3. 00:56:544 (2,3) -
    4. 01:11:544 (2,3) -
    5. 01:26:544 (2,3) -
  2. 00:11:544 (2) - Also, let me tell you it has a broken flow that doesn't work if you ask me. The moment doesn't call for any flow-breaking moment so I will introduce you to something playable: *CLICK*
Also how about we stop having an argue about 128kbs because it seems kinda off and stupid to me like it doesn't really change anything. :C

EDIT: However, I like the mapset and the combo colours! :3 They are great! o3o
Topic Starter
Hula

Krfawy wrote:

I want to say the notes' volume from 00:33:107 - till 01:33:107 - seems inaudible. The music is way louder than the notes so you'll see it's way easier to play the map if you set values between 20 and 23 in the timing sections. This applies to the whole set. These volumes are perfectly audible to me, make sure you got 100/100 on your volume thingies, also you're more than welcome to use lower music volume. I didn't find the volumes an issue :)

Also how about we stop having an argue about 128kbs because it seems kinda off and stupid to me like it doesn't really change anything. :C Agreed, seems like this mapset is being picked on cos it's like one of 2 or 3 sets to be qualified today :(
Voli's slider is 5/7

About yuii's blankets, I don't think they were intended to ever be blanketed. they're not exactly fail blankets, they're pretty far off from it.
Voli
Krfawy that's just your imagination. :?
Yuii-
1) You are comparing 00:19:044 (2,3) - 1/2 slider + 1/1 slider with pure 1/2+1/2 sliders. At this level of SV speed it's almost impossible to create such perfect blankets. Please, understand that.
2) The second point you brought up to the discussion has a terrible transition with 00:14:357 (1) - . And I want a circular transition, that's intentional as well.
Krfawy
I used 100% of the volume in-game, however, I am not going to use full volume for my speakers and headphones because the music will make my head explode so I think there's something wrong Hula. :(
HappyRocket88

Krfawy wrote:

EDIT: However, I like the mapset and the combo colours! :3 They are great! o3o
Because probably there's pink on those circles. XDDD
Topic Starter
Hula

Krfawy wrote:

I used 100% of the volume in-game, however, I am not going to use full volume for my speakers and headphones because the music will make my head explode so I think there's something wrong Hula. :(
You have to use headphones, softwhistles are never gonna be that audible with speakers. I map and play with 100/100, soooo, ye.
Okoratu
As someone using 100/100 and headphones i had no trouble hearing hitsounds krfawy zzz

Posting placeholders is very different from actual mods, i dont really care if someone plans to mod something if i dont deem it necessary
Wafu

Okoratu wrote:

Posting placeholders is very different from actual mods, i dont really care if someone plans to mod something if i dont deem it necessary
It's none different. You qualified it with 'idc' attitude 10 minutes after I said anything. If you have urge to qualify map while one's modding it and he said he's modding it, you probably should reconsider quality > quantity idea. You're just denying map's potential improvement even before qualification.

Edit: This mp3 does have much better filesize/quality ratio (mathematically it's ~40% loss) and it doesn't require cutting nor negative offset + it's real 128kbps, it's nothing converted to higher bitrate, therefore it stays same as the highest available quality.

Edit2: 24 hours are not THAT long to wait. In real, it was about ~9 hours to midnight in our timezone, don't tell me it's that long time. Waiting doesn't hurt map at all. Be a bit moderate and don't limit people by time, at least not by 10 minutes, without even asking them. I'm sorry, but this was pretty ignorant.

@deetz he had ability to ask me, PMs are free.
Okoratu
posting a placeholder is like saying "i want to say something about this map sometime today"
there's no guarantee you will do it, ever. I've seen people post placeholders and not doing anything, ever, a lot. Hence i don't care if someone placeholders anything.
Monstrata
placeholder!!!

I have to agree with Krfawy here.

About the blankets
00:26:544 (2,3) - Without using AR/just eyeballing. Takes like 5 seconds.

Also, about hitsound volume, theyre indeed really low. I wouldn't say the whole section needs an increase in hitsound volume but some parts could use a volume increase because they aren't immediately noticeable for me :P. Basically I shouldn't have to open your map up in editor and go over any section in order to hear the hitsound. They should be clearly audible from game.

00:10:607 -
00:18:107 -
01:18:107 - Were the ones i noted anyways.

Also, what's with the difficulty settings on Voli's Medium. CS size plays an important role in determining how difficult a map will be. A change from CS 3 to CS 5 may not be much for experienced players, but it's a huge jump for the playerbase that this set is aimed at. CS is a design choice, and people usually decide on that right when they map, but this is a poor choice imo, sry Voli :P.
ac8129464363
who says that they will absolutely look better as blankets? that's your opinion, they don't even seem to have been intended to be blankets :o

also I play on 50% master volume w/ 18% volume in windows and all of the hitsounds sound perfectly clear to me, even suiting the calm atmosphere of the song. just throwing my thoughts out there.
ZiRoX

Monstrata wrote:

00:26:544 (2,3) - Without using AR/just eyeballing. Takes like 5 seconds.

From an outsider to standard mapping, that looks pretty irrelevant.
Topic Starter
Hula
Wafu, I didn't want/need anymore mods, this has been modded by many people now, especially consider it's a ENN set. So I'm not gonna wait on a placeholder which was posted whilst Okoratu was half way through modding for the rank, why would I do that? I had been spamming this set on modhelp and modreqs since I submitted it over 2 weeks ago every day, that's how i got BNs and mods :). I'm not obliged to wait for every person in osu to mod my map.

The CS thing is probably very nice for less skilled players to be able to enjoy aiming whilst also achieving, Voli had a few guys who were like ~400k in rank and they didn't struggle with the size, so it's a good map for them to enjoy, it's interesting, i like it cos it's interesting.

The volumes are more than fine, I was annoyed that the volume % was so low whilst I was mapping, but I don't want them overwhelming the music, I like my hitsounds, so they got some attention.
Monstrata
I was referring to

Yuii- wrote:

1) At this level of SV speed it's almost impossible to create such perfect blankets. Please, understand that.
with my comment about blankets. Nothing to do with blankets being higher quality than not blanketting xD. Just showing its very possible to create blankets and very easy to accomplish anyways.
Yuii-
The difference is literally nule, what okay.
Voli
Just popping in to say the CS isn't a problem in my diff - it is designed with the CS in mind, fits well with the minimalistic nature of the song, and both the incredibly low bpm and the way I mapped the difficulty should warrant more than enough time for beginners to have a steady aim. I checked the replays and seems like people 400~500k are already passing it with DT. Also the pass rate of my difficulty is 38% right now, nicely in between the 60% on easy and the 15% on the hardest diff. I'm not saying these are absolute or 100% accurate statistics, but they do give us information about the spread.
Wafu

Hula wrote:

Wafu, I didn't want/need anymore mods, this has been modded by many people now, especially consider it's a ENN set. So I'm not gonna wait on a placeholder which was posted whilst Okoratu was half way through modding for the rank, why would I do that? I had been spamming this set on modhelp and modreqs since I submitted it over 2 weeks ago every day, that's how i got BNs and mods :). I'm not obliged to wait for every person in osu to mod my map.
It's not like you don't want or need mods. If you get 12SP, it doesn't make further modding any worse or any useless. You are just spitting into modder's face. If you don't want anyone else to touch your map, don't take it on qualification or learn to accept the fact that anyone is eligible to mod. Even if you got 100 mods before Okoratu's qualification, you'd be obligate to answer them. It's not about speed or how many mods come. If you didn't want to be 'unfair' to Oko, because he was already modding it, how could you be 'unfair' to me completely denying me to say a word?
diraimur

Monstrata wrote:

Also, what's with the difficulty settings on Voli's Medium. CS size plays an important role in determining how difficult a map will be. A change from CS 3 to CS 5 may not be much for experienced players, but it's a huge jump for the playerbase that this set is aimed at. CS is a design choice, and people usually decide on that right when they map, but this is a poor choice imo, sry Voli :P.
Actually, no. CS have nothing to do with difficulty alone. Its more about [SV / HitObjectRadius] (or something close to that, I'm not so sure atm). THAT is what determinates how hard a map will be.
Faster SV, harder map will be considering CS is same. Higher CS, harder map will be considering SV is same.

Lets check some random recently ranked map.
Looks fine doesn't it? CS3 -> CS3.5. (40,98 -> 38,74)
Now lets check SV.
0.6 -> 1.1. Wow. Thats quite huge increasement, isn't it? Almost as twice as fast.
Lets use our formula now:
60 / 40,98 = 1,46~ for Easy
110 / 38,74 = 2,84~ for Normal
Normal is roughly about 95% harder than Easy.

Lets check this set:
CS3 -> CS5 (40,98 -> 32,01)
SV 1,3 -> 1,5
Lets use the formula again for this set:
130 / 40,98 = 3,17~ for Easy
150 / 32,01 = 4,69~ for Normal.
Normal is only about 48% harder than Easy.

I don't see any issue, really.
HappyRocket88
Dirai, the map you referred isn't "recent". It was ranked 5 months ago.
diraimur

HappyRocket88 wrote:

Dirai, the map you referred isn't "recent". It was ranked 5 months ago.
By "recent" I mean a map that has been ranked before ranking criteria changed, which I highly doubt had a change, or at least something about this case.

If there was please tell me so.

Also, 4. Not 5.
Topic Starter
Hula

Wafu wrote:

Hula wrote:

It's not like you don't want or need mods. If you get 12SP, it doesn't make further modding any worse or any useless. You are just spitting into modder's face. If you don't want anyone else to touch your map, don't take it on qualification or learn to accept the fact that anyone is eligible to mod. Even if you got 100 mods before Okoratu's qualification, you'd be obligate to answer them. It's not about speed or how many mods come. If you didn't want to be 'unfair' to Oko, because he was already modding it, how could you be 'unfair' to me completely denying me to say a word?
I didn't ask you to mod the set? Oko was gonna be my ranking BN of the set for about 2 or 3 days already, what if I went around on all the sets which are bubbled and put a placeholder on all of them? I had 7 mods already, not including some random irc stuff with people and also Oko going over a few things, I think that's plenty.

Also, think like this, Oko is half way through ranking my set, I see you placed a placeholder in that time, last 5 mins or whatever, why on God's earth would I stop Oko, one of those rare BNs nowadays from ranking my set? I'd have to be stupid to pass up the opportunity.

Basically dude, stop making a drama over your placeholder shit on my thread, the post count on here is getting ridiculous and is beyond unnecessary.
Timorisu
Placeholders guarantee nothing, skipping a mod should not be a guaranteed unrank
The kbps does not increase filesize by that much
That sliders in the kiai are perfectly audible
That other slider in the Normal diff does not look like female genitalia (u ever seen a pussy son?)
Quit complaining holy fuck
Stefan
Wafu, could you please stop that?

If you're too late to mod the mapset before it gets qualified then you're too late. Stop complaining about pointless things which doesn't exist. You're free to mod and help now if there are issues with the mapset but a "Placeholder post" is nothing a mapper needs to follow or wait for. There is no reason to keep this nonsense here.

Thanks.
Shohei Ohtani
"WE HAVE TO REDUCE FILE SIZE ON A 3.4 MB MP3" - Wafu 2016.

Like I think the biggest thing you have to realize about being a BN is that you have to pick and choose your battles, and not get angrily butthurt over minute things. I've been mod-sniped PLENTY of times, sometimes WHILE I'm modding a map. I feel like you just literally just TRIED to find something that "could be" unrankable, when in actuality I'm sure that 0% of people really have strong feelings about this. There are more important things to rant about. Especially since this is the ONLY thing you've commented about on the map.

Also if you think 17 days is a speedrank then oh boy have I got some BN circlejerks to introduce you to. Especially since you're only getting mad about "omg speedranking" because YOU didn't mod it, lol. Like bahahhaha if it was ranked that day by you it would have literally been the same thing.

Additionally, I have been told many times that it is the responsibility of the MAPPER to find BNs to rank the map. While it is nice for BNs to do random checks (a practice that I think SHOULD be done by every BN, especially on bubbled maps), it is not a "ok stop trying to find people, I'm here", especially since it seems that the mapper had ALREADY asked Okoratu for a mod previously. Want to do more random checks? there's a whole slew of bubbled maps in Pending right now that don't have any competition waiting, and would verily much appreciate your assistance.

Focus your energy on the right things.
gracefu
The song isn't super long, there's no video, the file size is already pretty small. There's no *need* to dq this. Please let the dream live...

Also I play osu with laptop speakers. I don't even give a shit about audio quality :^)
I Must Decrease
I disagree, Wafu is clearly correct here. If a mapset does not meet a rule in the RC it must be DQ'd. Just because you wanted to qualify it on a special date or desired something abnormal doesn't mean that your demands should be met. If there was an extraneous hitsound file this same issue would still apply, because it's a rule.

Not only that but he still has the right to mod a map while it's qualified. The whole purpose of the qualified section is to promote an increase in a beatmap's quality. If he has legitimate concerns this mapset should be DQ'd so they can be properly addressed instead of rushed for your "le ranked at same day as title" meme.
gracefu
I disagree, Wafu is not "correct". The mapset doesn't actually break any rules in the RC. You *could* tighten the rules a little, but it doesn't *technically* break any rules (at least regarding the audio quality). Especially with such a hype rank date, it'd be a real real shame to DQ this because of something trivial and doesn't actually break any RC.

Xexxar pls not this map... not this map!
I Must Decrease

gracefu wrote:

I disagree, Wafu is not "correct". The mapset doesn't actually break any rules in the RC. You *could* tighten the rules a little, but it doesn't *technically* break any rules (at least regarding the audio quality). Especially with such a hype rank date, it'd be a real real shame to DQ this because of something trivial and doesn't actually break any RC.

Xexxar pls not this map... not this map!
In terms of implication this is the exact same as having unused files in a mapset. It's a waste of space and extra bandwidth on the osu's server for every single person that downloads it. Seriously..? There is literally 0 reason to not change this outside of the "meme".
hehe

Xexxar wrote:

In terms of implication this is the exact same as having unused files in a mapset. It's a waste of space and extra bandwidth on the osu's server for every single person that downloads it. Seriously..? There is literally 0 reason to not change this outside of the "meme".

No it is not the same. You're being unnecessarily pedantic about this, unused hitsounds are EASY to identify, EASY to remove. And the thing about mp3s is that while yes, its possible to improve it, the 'improvement' is really minimal, its already functional as it is. If you want to be so particular, you can say the same for backgrounds with bad compression, hitsounds with unnecessarily high bitrate as well as unnecessary green lines.

Yes, there is a line you have to draw but this is not crossing it whatsoever.
Shohei Ohtani

Xexxar wrote:

Not only that but he still has the right to mod a map while it's qualified. The whole purpose of the qualified section is to promote an increase in a beatmap's quality. If he has legitimate concerns this mapset should be DQ'd so they can be properly addressed instead of rushed for your "le ranked at same day as title" meme.
he has a right to mod it but so does everyone else and if someone else wants to rank it then they're allowed to do that just as much as Wafu has the right to mod it lol. If he has legitimate concerns, he should have brought it up beforehand, or mentioned it afterwards without being a child about it.

not commenting on the first part because everyone else already hit on that.
Voli
I completely agree with Reditum here.

It really does seem like this is just witch-hunting for a ''potentially discussable'' issue so it can be DQ'd just because Wafu is angry about the placeholder thing.
I'm not against DQing a mapset if it warrants significant improvement or issues that actually matter and are of disadvantage to a majority of the players, but this is just way too overscrupulous and makes no sense whatsoever.

Can we now please stop this pointless charade already? It's just a repeating cycle that leads to nothing but drama.
Topic Starter
Hula
Viva last dream!
Monstrata
What Wafu means is that even though the mp3 displays as 192 kbps in the file, it's actual quality is lower than a 128 kbps mp3 which is why he claims it's unrankable. Kind of a grey area though.
Timorisu
If I can get 0 kpbs ranked then Hula can get 192 kpbs ranked. I really don't see the problem here. Besides, Hula said that this is the original mp3, as in there is no better quality or kbps available. So where IS the problem???
show more