forum

gmtn. vs. kozato (fw. LUZE) - squartatrice

posted
Total Posts
show more
Skystar
but afaik extending mp3 isn't directly disallowed as long as it isn't done badly. (there've been quite a few threads about this topic in the old RC forum) in this case the edited mp3 sounds even better and more natural to me than the original track where the sound gets cut suddenly for no reason
Ascendance
Shortening mp3's to get a "TV Size" set is fine, so why is doing the opposite any different anyways? I don't see a huge issue with this, and it's something that's been done plenty of times. It brings no drawbacks, and it's not like he's extending a 3:50 song to 5:00. I have to take the mapper's side on this one and agree with captin. This needs some consistency.
Enon
if I've not misunderstood, it's got disqualified because the mp3 was extended even though that is not any problem according to ranking criteria rules?

I know disqualifying is not happen by following only ranking criteria rules. but I wonder why it's happend.
Monstrata
There have been lots of discussion about extending mp3's in order to fit the approval length. Like Natsu's pointed out, the general consensus is that people support extending the mp3, and object to making this a rule that mp3's cannot be extended. It's been well established that mp3 editing, stretching etc... are acceptable, so lets move away from that argument, or discuss it in the Ranking Criteria section. Please redirect your focus to getting this map back into a rankable state.

From what I gather, the argument here really boils down to the fact that a 5 second section of the song that is complete silence is not mapped to a break. Therefore, those 5 seconds of silence are considered part of the drain. If this is the case, then there is some merit to that argument. If HP continues to drain when there is absolutely no sound, it can feel jarring to the mapper. Of course, this can be done for effect, like an extended pause, but since this occurs between two spinners I think the effect of the pause is lost.

One possible solution is to edit the mp3 tastefully, as Shiirn suggested, so that the mp3 becomes 5 minutes long without having to take advantage of silence. I can provide this mp3, just let me know.
Skystar
Alright I feel like I should make a post to clarify all this mess because apparently there's too much misunderstanding and assumption going on here.

Shiirn wrote:

EDIT: okay they actually injected literal silence between the end of the track and the weirdo noise which is a big no no

Loctav wrote:

there is a silent 5 second break that should have a breaktime inserted, the original version ends on 4:57 after the noise while the song starts at 00:02, which means the song ends after 4 minutes and 55 seconds. The original silence is 2,5 seconds long. In this map, it magically increased to 4,6 seconds, so I assume you stretched the silence part.
First of all, the 'silence' between the end of track and the noise was NOT artificially stretched.

Here's a screenshot of the ending of original version and edit version in FL Studio:

The above one is the original and the next one is edited. As you can see, the silence of two version turns out to be of a same length. Yes, the original silence is not 2.5 seconds long, but 4.6 seconds too. So Shiirn's assumption that the silence was artificially injected turns out to be invalid here, as that's not the case at all.

Secondly, what's stretched then? It's the noise itself. The only section that's different between both versions is the weird noise at the end, which is weird enough in the original track, where it sounds like the composer forgot to highlight the later parts before rendering the song so it got cut out of nowhere. In the edited version, the noise was looped and flipped by the mapper, let's say, in order to make this over 5 mins. But to me, if I didn't know which is the original and were to guess which is, I'd definitely pick the extended one, as it definitely sounds more natural than the other one that makes it sound like your music player crashes at the end. As I said above, if an edit mp3 turns out to be even better than its original version, why not?

As for Deif's post:

Deif wrote:

On top of that, even if we're working with this edited mp3, the spinner at 04:51:430 (1) - ends in absolutely no sound. The sound ends at 05:01:430 - , but as the song starts at 00:01:435 - it'd be less than 5 min drain time anyway.
Indeed. One possible solution of this is to fade in and out the ending better, so the head and the tail of the spinner is snapped to the start and the end of the noise respectively. I'll see if I can try to make a mp3 to solve this.

Edit: Made a new mp3. Now the last spinner starts at 04:51:264 (1) - and ends at - 05:01:930 -, snapped to where the sound starts and ends.
Beomsan
???: I have no time for games
Shiirn

Ascendance wrote:

Shortening mp3's to get a "TV Size" set is fine, so why is doing the opposite any different anyways? I don't see a huge issue with this, and it's something that's been done plenty of times. It brings no drawbacks, and it's not like he's extending a 3:50 song to 5:00. I have to take the mapper's side on this one and agree with captin. This needs some consistency.
If you "Un-shortened" a "TV-Size", you'd re-add the content that was removed, no? That'd be tastefully extending the content by mimicking or duplicating portions of the already-existing song, not messing with a weird noise at the end that is musically irrelevant to the track.

There's a chunk near the end that repeats 3 times (or so Krah told me, I haven't actually sat down and listened to the music in a while), repeat it another and it's over 5 minutes cleanly and even musically makes sense. I don't see why we're screwing with semantics about the dumb static when there's a more elegant solution right there that would easily make everyone happy.

You can even cut the entire weirdo static at the end out entirely.

It sucks anyway.
Skystar
I mean I'd rather touch the weirdo noise at the end that doesn't even matter in the song structure than the actual parts of the song, especially when the thing we're doing here is to make the ending even better
Akiyama Mizuki

Shiirn wrote:

I don't see why we're screwing with semantics about the dumb static when there's a more elegant solution right there that would easily make everyone happy.
everyone's happy once you're happy with it aha

skystar's reply seems good for me
Sing
even if the extended mp3 is fine (which i personally think it is) both diffs' spinners should still probably end at 05:01:430 - since thats where the sound cut off, as opposed to at 05:01:930 - , at which they currently end at
Akiyama Mizuki
i want to die 😋🔫
Enon
😋🔫
Rumia-
😋🔫
Left
why i can't see this in ranked
so sad
Anemic Witch
Beautiful song with two awesome diffs graveyarded because "oh noes they increased weird noise duration by 2.5 seconds"
Lama Poluna

Left wrote:

why i can't see this in ranked
so sad
09kami
pls rank
Condyle
pls rank
Pituophis
pls rank
FlySlime
pls rank
sonix
pls rank
gilmat
pls rank
pw384
pls rank
Enon
rank when
Topic Starter
Reol
Good News.
Dailycare take this mapset. (For RANK!)
go here!
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.