forum

Logitech MX518 Mouse

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Draakje45
So, I have been having the logitech MX518 mouse for perhaps 6 years now. I got a corsair M65 recently, but it's too small for me.
So I kept playing with the MX. But I think it's a bad mouse for playing osu!. So, what do you guys think.
Do I (and people with a mouse like me) really need a new mouse, or is the MX518 good enough to go on with?
If you are playing with an older mouse, perhaps you could share some 'secrets' as to what adjustments you make to keep playing well?
Nabel_old_1
As long as you are confortable with your mouse and don't encounter any issues it should be fine.
Endaris
Shape is pretty much the most important trait along with its tracking performance so if you think that the mouse is too small for you you should certainly consider a new mouse if you got the €.
ZenithPhantasm
M65 uses the ADNS-9800 sensor
Laser
5-10% acceleration variance
Smoothing
Heavy af
Stiff cable
High click latency

Bad mouse 8-)
ZenithPhantasm

Endaris wrote:

Shape is pretty much the most important trait along with its tracking performance so if you think that the mouse is too small for you you should certainly consider a new mouse if you got the €.
Weight and cable are very important too. Same with mouse skates. The mouse's performance is only as good as its weakest link.
Topic Starter
Draakje45
Would not necessarily say that laser is bad though, currently using the logitech mouse again ofc btw.
The logitech is more accurate, but I had a laser mouse in the past that was very precise, much more accurate than the logitech MX.
It was a rather cheap mouse, but it had a very strong laser, you could see the small red dot like a laser in a laser pen.
That one died 6 or 7 years ago, and I was immediately disappointed by the (optical) logitech, with which I was not that happy.
When buying a new mouse, I thought laser would simply be superior, the corsair had some good reviews, but I should have informed myself on osu better.
Anyways now I am thinking about the roccat kone XTD, read on here that it would be a pretty damn good mouse.
Youtube says its better than the deathadder, and Ive read that the steelseries ones have issues or are overrated.
I just hope that roccat wont be too large for me. What sort of mouse do you have?
Happy with it, issues, etc?
ZenithPhantasm

Draakje45 wrote:

The logitech is more accurate, but I had a laser mouse in the past that was very precise, much more accurate than the logitech MX.
You're funny :o
TakuMii
Pretty sure that the MX518 was regarded as one of the best mice of yesteryear... Aside from problems like angle-snapping, I'm sure it's still better than anything with a laser.

And a side note: Optical is, and always has been, more precise than laser. The only real benefit laser has over optical is surface compatibility, but even then, you shouldn't consider yourself a serious gamer if you don't use a mousepad.

(also, maybe look into the Kone Pure Military if you insist on getting something from Roccat. Personally, I have a Savu, which has pretty good sensor performance, but the small size and odd shape isn't for everyone)
RaneFire
If you can live with angle-snapping, no need to get a new mouse until something breaks.

My old MX518 deteriorated and I had to sandpaper the remaining coating off it, to continue using it. It wasn't the most sightly thing.

When I heard about the G400v2 removing angle-snapping, I thought this would be the ideal time to learn to aim without angle-snapping. Took some time, but I think it was worth the change. So that's probably the only thing you might consider.
Clappy
ZenithPhantasm
G402 G502
Topic Starter
Draakje45
http://www.konigelectronic.com/nl_nl/1111336
Well, here könig says this laser mouse (but I think they don't sell it anymore) has a higher accuracy than any optical mouse (in my language, could not get it turned into english).'De gebruikte laser technologie garandeert een hoge accuratesse en betere gevoeligheid dan met welke optische muis dan ook. '
'The used laser technology guarantees a high accuracy and better sensitivity than any optical mouse.'
Could be just bullshit, but I remember loving my old könig mouse though.
But if I compare my logitech with the corsair, the corsair is just a terrible shit mouse indeed.
So I would guess that that mouse might have been an exception. Only used it in shooters, but played with very high dpi and was still good at them.
Now I also play with max dpi, the 1800 my mouse is capable of. But I feel like I need at least 2200. I have accel (6.0 times) at max on osu.
It still feels too slow though. Can't really complain about accuracy, but I hate the angle snapping and dpi is still a little too low in my eyes.
Oh, and thanks about the advice on the mice. Will definitely consider them. Probably buy one of them even.
Nabel_old_1

Draakje45 wrote:

Well, here könig says this laser mouse (but I think they don't sell it anymore) has a higher accuracy than any optical mouse (in my language, could not get it turned into english).'
Ofc they'll say their own mouse is better than the rest. On soft mousepads optical mice are definitely better than laser mice. And fyi most mouse players play with ~800 dpi since it gives more control. Personally I use the razer deathadder(love this mouse) and I play with 800 dpi.
TakuMii
...Don't play with such a high sensitivity, it'll only hold you back. A lot of high-level mouse players play at around 800dpi 1.0x.
ZenithPhantasm

Draakje45 wrote:

Well, here könig says this laser mouse (but I think they don't sell it anymore) has a higher accuracy than any optical mouse (in my language, could not get it turned into english).'De gebruikte laser technologie garandeert een hoge accuratesse en betere gevoeligheid dan met welke optische muis dan ook. '
'The used laser technology guarantees a high accuracy and better sensitivity than any optical mouse.'
Could be just bullshit, but I remember loving my old könig mouse though.
But if I compare my logitech with the corsair, the corsair is just a terrible shit mouse indeed.
So I would guess that that mouse might have been an exception. Only used it in shooters, but played with very high dpi and was still good at them.
Now I also play with max dpi, the 1800 my mouse is capable of. But I feel like I need at least 2200. I have accel (6.0 times) at max on osu.
It still feels too slow though. Can't really complain about accuracy, but I hate the angle snapping and dpi is still a little too low in my eyes.
Oh, and thanks about the advice on the mice. Will definitely consider them. Probably buy one of them even.
You are naive
Topic Starter
Draakje45
I guess I have been! They probably tricked me into believing that old "laser" mouse actually was a laser.
Now that I thought about it, it had a very bright red dot probably did not mean it was a laser, they use infrared for it mostly nowadays.
And probably back then too. It must have been a bullshit story to get that mouse sold. And in fact, it was probably optical.
Hence the low dpi. Hell, the other mouse they're advertising is probably an optical one too.
So I must have just been playing with a (probably by chance) good optical mouse back then.
It was only 2.400 dpi max, that makes sense for an optical mouse.
So, optical is better than laser after all then.
2.400 dpi pretty much proves it's optical I guess. And the 8.200 dpi corsair was pretty terrible.
Btw, I would not quickly doubt anything regarding mice, coming from a mouse only player like you.
I just thought that one laser mouse was 'different' because in fact, it was not a laser mouse, I think.
A mouse from the brand könig did and does not really say that much to people.
Laser was new by then, it was probably a sale technique (which they're still using perhaps).
The only way I can imagine playing with low dpi is with a claw grip btw, which has never really been my thing.
So far, I am pretty happy with my high dpi and palm grip. Works out for me till now.
If I notice it's not working anymore, I might switch to lower, but I've never really played with low dpi.
ZenithPhantasm
I don't recommend any dpi over 1000 but w.e. floats your boat
Endie-

Draakje45 wrote:

Jesus christ whats your resolution? Must be 8k lol
ZenithPhantasm

Endie- wrote:

Draakje45 wrote:

Jesus christ whats your resolution? Must be 8k lol
He probably plays with a 4KHD display with virtual super resolution xDDDDD
I Give Up
Logitech MX518 Mouse
Hi. MX518 is bad pls destroy it. Get G402.

source: MX518 owner 7 years.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I don't recommend any dpi over 1000 but w.e. floats your boat
I recently switched to 1200dpi and it feels natural to me. My aim better than before.
ZenithPhantasm
Probably just the G303. My aim is better with my G303 than with any of my other mice even tho I can't hold it properly
KanoSet
doomsday plays with 1500 dpi