forum

Falling out of Rhythm on long Circle / Jump Sequences

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AniGa_old
Hi there.

Well, what the title says.
This doesn't happen to me on sliders, even when the sliders are fast... but when there's many single circles in succession, especially if it's rather quickish and especially if it's jumps, it's actually my clicking, not at all my movement, that gets out-of-rhythm and crappy.

This is something that didn't happen to me aaall the way back when I used the mouse button for single-tapping, but ever since I started clicking with my keyboard exclusively, I just can't seem to get rid of that problem.

Sliders into circles, circles into sliders, many sliders, streams into something, something into streams, long streams, short streams, fast, slow... all fine.
Many single circles... not fine.

And it just doesn't seem to get better no matter how much I practice.
Might I be doing something wrong here...?
Is there some good way to practice this, or some bad / good habits to look out for? Or anything else you could think of.

(I'm not a single-tapper, by the way; I always alternate. When I don't alternate it actually gets worse.)

Greets,
AniGa
Kert
You're probably starting to tap too fast?
I have the same problem and I think it's because my singletap is pretty bad.
Nabel_old_1
I have the same problem. I often just start using mouse clicks when the long circle sequences start if that is the only thing that prevents me from getting an fc.
Lapoozza
I have this problem too and would be very grateful if someone can give a good way to overcome it.
Endaris
Stay relaxed.
If you're not afraid that you could be late and if you have enough confidence in your perception of the song's actual speed it is no problem to tap everything on time.

I'm an alternating player too and I can just tell you from experience that longer sections of singles are something that you have to practice a lot to get consistent with. It's literally the biggest starting hurdle for alternating players and that's why your problem is different than the one the others have.
Maps that helped me practicing this are
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/14906 sterrum's hard
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/28243 hard (especially this)
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/46002&m=0 hard

Something you CAN consider is to change your keybindings so that you tap with your index and ring finger instead of index and middle finger. Due to the similar finger length I found it more appealing as my hand can stay in a more balanced position while tapping. That being said, I can do singles just as well with index+middle, it's entirely a brain thing.
Topic Starter
AniGa_old

Endaris wrote:

Stay relaxed.
I'm an alternating player too and I can just tell you from experience that longer sections of singles are something that you have to practice a lot to get consistent with. It's literally the biggest starting hurdle for alternating players and that's why your problem is different than the one the others have.
Maps that helped me practicing this are
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/14906 sterrum's hard
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/28243 hard (especially this)
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/46002&m=0 hard
... I think you're sort of mistaking me for a different kind of osu! player, and thus you're sort of misunderstanding my problem. :D

I usually play maps between 5.0 and 6.0. Sometimes higher.

If you want a more clear image on my movement skills:
Wahrheit [Saten | 5.18] Relax: 95+ %
Wizdomiot [Lunatic | 5.94] Relax: 94+ %
+Danshi [Akali's Extra | 5.62] Relax: 94+ %

And as for my current level of clicking skills:
MIIRO [Extra | 5.95] Auto-Pilot: 82+ %
Dadadadadadadadadada [EXTREME | 5.72] Auto-Pilot: 81+ %
FREEDMAN [iyasine | 5.72] Auto-Pilot: 88+ %

As you can see, my clicking lags behind, and it does so almost solely because of the mentioned problem.

So what I really mean with this thread is: I can osu!, and I can osu! rather darn well.
EXCEPT for many single circles in a row, I just crap out on those in terms of clicking.
And it only barely gets better no matter how much I practice... >_>

Greets,
AniGa
-sev

AniGa wrote:

Found your problem.
Topic Starter
AniGa_old
Uhm... not really.

Unless they have the mentioned "problem" in them, I usually beat them.
Or, well, lessay I usually beat 4.5 to 5.5 maps that don't have this "problem" in them.
And on the lower end of that I usually still beat them even if they do.

So... nope, not really.

Greets,
AniGa
dung eater
play songs that are easy to aim for you, hard to tap for you to practice tapping

know how you should tap, what the circles are mapped to in song

listen to song, try your hardest to tap to the song (hitsounds help a lot with keeping rhytm). know what you should do and pay attention to how you are doing it wrong, try to improve your perfomance. don't look at end result (acc, passing/failing etc), pay close attention to what you do wrong in the maps, missing/not clicking on time in on a single cirlcle etc.

play more, enjoy game
Nabel_old_1

AniGa wrote:

I can't play 90% of the 5+star maps :o. Learn how to acc 4 star maps before u start playing 5-6 stars. U dont have such low acc from just falling out of rythm on long jump sequences.
Deva
When youre bad at some pattern you play that pattern more. When you get better at that pattern you play it even more until you get even better at it. Thats the way this game works. Also try playing more complex maps on your star level instead of playing simpler maps with higher star rating.
Barusamikosu

AniGa wrote:

I just want to add that Relax is fake aim. Even a zero aim player like me with no AR10 reading can HR FC maps with Relax on. Also Autopilot is hard to be accurate with even on easy maps (at first).
Endaris

AniGa wrote:

So what I really mean with this thread is: I can osu!, and I can osu! rather darn well.
You're lying to yourself.
As already mentioned by Baru, Relax is fake aim.
Sure, it's important to be capable of aiming and tapping but being able to synchronize your effort in a perfect manner is significantly harder than adding the difficulty of each action to each other. You can't develop good aim for nomod by playing Relax.
Like wow, I can get 95% on RX Image Material but only about 62% after significant warmup when playing it with NF instead.
Or Freedom Dive 4D at 98% with Relax. Like woooooow. Not. Let's not talk about the acc I get when played with NF.
And Wahrheit on nomod -> 96%, wew

/edit:
SPOILER

I guarantee you that EVERYONE at my rank can perform equally or better than me at this map with RX on.
ZenithPhantasm
Relax is only good for practicing aim stamina
and only with HR+DT+Relax
Topic Starter
AniGa_old
Well, I can also beat Wahrheit and stuff legit. xP
Hell, I could already do so a long time ago... I beat that map as far back as February this year.

Greets,
AG
Nabel_old_1

AniGa wrote:

Hell, I could already do so a long time ago... I beat that map as far back as February this year.

Greets,
AG
And you didn't take the time to improve your acc on it? I don't get why you are playing 5-6 star songs if you can't play 4 star maps properly.
-sev
­
Topic Starter
AniGa_old

xinfuzionx wrote:

AniGa wrote:

And you didn't take the time to improve your acc on it? I don't get why you are playing 5-6 star songs if you can't play 4 star maps properly.
... b-but... that map IS a 5.18...
... then am I not practicing exactly what I should be practicing / doing exactly what you said ("And you didn't take the time to improve your acc on it?") by playing these maps that I can beat, but am not accurate at, so that I will become accurate at them...? ._.

I don't really know, but I think we all lost each other somewhere down the conversation. xD

Greets,
AG
Nabel_old_1

AniGa wrote:

... b-but... that map IS a 5.18...
... then am I not practicing exactly what I should be practicing / doing exactly what you said ("And you didn't take the time to improve your acc on it?") by playing these maps that I can beat, but am not accurate at, so that I will become accurate at them...? ._.

I don't really know, but I think we all lost each other somewhere down the conversation. xD

Greets,
AG
There is a difference between being accurate and knowing how to react to circles in order to pass a map. Do you try to improve your acc on maps after you pass them? All your top plays with acceptable accuracy are <3.2 stars yet you practise by playing >5 star maps. If I compare with myself, I am able to get 95-100 acc on most 4-5 star maps that don't contain long streams, but I can't pass 50%-75% of the 5.5-6 star maps. So are you really following the rythm when you play these maps or are you actually just reacting to circles in order to not fail on the map?
GhostFrog
Put more conscious effort into tapping to the beat during those sections and allow yourself to aim absentmindedly. You'll miss more notes, but when you do hit them, you'll get more 300s.

Also, in case the point hasn't been made enough, ability to play relax or autopilot is somewhat separate from ability to play nomod. New interactions occur when you aim and tap at the same time. Playing them for fun is fine, but using them to practice aim and tapping is usually going to be a bad idea.
Topic Starter
AniGa_old
(Nah. I know Relax and Autopilot is just for fun, and I expected that little list to be taken with what you said well taken into account.)

It's a bit weird to describe what my problem actually is...
It's really just that my clicking hand effs up on semi-long or longer sequences of circles, actually ESPECIALLY when they're all spaced the same (so, for example, exactly following the beat).
For some reason it's easier for me to do stuff where the "time distance" between clicks varies - as soon as single circles with always-the-same spacing come up, my clicking hand just falls out of rhythm awkwardly unless I concentrate really hard and basically almost punch the damn keys, and even then it still happens often times - and of course my aim then suffers from concentrating on clicking so hard.

It's just so weird, and while everything else gets better steadily with practice, this weird problem only barely gets better, or not at all, over the same amount of time.
... it's just effing irritating.

Greets,
AG

PS: Streams are fine, tho.
I'm actually rather good at those... make of that what you will.
silento
Judging by what you're saying about you faffing about with Relax, I have the conclusion that you are lacking coordination. I fell into this trap a month back and only recently have I found myself breaking free from it and starting to finally get somewhere in my playing ability.

Go play 3.5 star nomods, aim for the fc and accuracy, and rebuild your coordination. Even 4 stars is high based on what you've been saying in this thread.
DeathHydra
A video of your replay (and liveplay if can) might help us to understand what your problem is. It's a bit troublesome, but if you really want to improve I think you have to do this much.
chainpullz

Barusamikosu wrote:

AniGa wrote:

I just want to add that Relax is fake aim. Even a zero aim player like me with no AR10 reading can HR FC maps with Relax on. Also Autopilot is hard to be accurate with even on easy maps (at first).
More like anything less than a 99.9% S is pretty shitty. Most 100s and 50s on relax would have been misses on nomod. Only time to play relax is when you are too tired to tap. But really, if you are too tired to tap take a nap or something.
Endie-
feel the beat through your bum
Topic Starter
AniGa_old
Judging by what you're saying about you faffing about with Relax, I have the conclusion that you are lacking coordination. I fell into this trap a month back and only recently have I found myself breaking free from it and starting to finally get somewhere in my playing ability.

Go play 3.5 star nomods, aim for the fc and accuracy, and rebuild your coordination. Even 4 stars is high based on what you've been saying in this thread.
... heh. That... hm. Actually...
... During my time when I switched from mouse/keyboard to tablet/keyboard and tried to find the best grip and pose and stuff, I played a looot of Auto-pilot and Relax.
And I did just test some ~3.5 maps - I can beat them easily, but I just can't really FC anything for the life of me.

So... yeah, I think that's probably exactly it.
I seem to have lost proper coordination between the right and left hand... the fact that I originally did the main bulk of the clicking with the mouse hand probably didn't exactly influence that positively either.

That's finally something to go by.
I guess I'll try slower maps, and see to it that I can properly FC them again.
Thanks a lot for that piece of advice right there.

Greets,
AG
show more