forum

I've been practicing wrong, what should I do?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bold and brash
For my whole time playing osu! I always practiced on maps that are hard for me. I started off by playing easy maps for 1 month, then progressed to normal, and hard. After playing on hard for another 1-2 months, I jumped to insanes. After playing on many insane maps, I started to FC them with bad accuracy (<94%). I thought I was getting good at 4.0-4.3 star maps so I jumped to 4.6-5 star maps and I started practicing on them for many months now and Im not progressing at all skill wise now. I still have terrible accuracy, my aim is really shaky, and my hands are weak. I don't know what to do now, should I just go back to 4 star maps or is it too late for me to do that?
Mr Meeseeks_old_1
As a new player my advice won't be valued as much, but it's never too late to go back to lower difficulty maps. Just playing the game will make you better
timemon
You should experiment with different practice. If that one doesn't work, try other methods.
I would recommend that you go back to easier difficulty (4* in your case).

Brute forcing through a difficult map might not help you at all. (I learned this lesson the hard way.)
chainpullz
4.5*+ is where skill progression tends to slow down for most people. Don't let it discourage you. Star difficulty isn't a linear system.
Roricon
I did the exact same thing as you to progress in osu! (I am a pro at getting 90% acc fcs and I still get c ranks on some 3-4 star maps). First of all just play the game how you enjoy it the most. Your acc might be shit but your aim and speed is probably better than most other players at your rank. If you want to improve your acc it won't hurt you to play some easier maps and focus on getting high acc, but I would'nt completely stop playing 5 star maps. As long as you avoid creating bad habits you are fine and you'll keep improving by playing more.
deletemyaccount
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Everyone improves in different ways and at different rates, so there isn't really a "right" way to play.

In your position, it might not be a bad idea to focus on specific weaknesses you have (accuracy, aim, streaming, etc) and go from there; as long as you are having fun and enjoying the game then it's all g.

You aren't always going to perform at your peak and that's okay, it happens to everyone.

oh yeah and play more
Mahogany
Play the highest difficulty maps you can FC
Vuelo Eluko

Mahogany wrote:

stressful
unfun
but effective
pandaBee
I think it's okay to play @ lower accuracies for jump-focused maps.
But for things like streams or tap sequences, best stick to at 96%+. Higher is better, but not anally high.
Just have fun and don't overdo it too much. You can lose your fingers playing this game.
Sotodashi

Mahogany wrote:

damn
Setsuna
I play osu a lot, I am one of the slower learners (or have to play more to warm up at least).

I tend to practice or warm up by doing maps I can 99% on at minimum, 3 tries (so for me that would be 4-5 star 2014 maps). After I warm up, I try to play harder maps and go from there. That's probably what most osu players do, but just don't forget that u just generally get better as you play the game more. I am around 5 200 pp with mostly no mods or DT.

Here's some goals for new players (imo).

- By 100k, learn how to do triples perfectly (at least for your level)
- By 50k, learn how to stream properly, aka getting to feel the rhythm of each individual beats of stream, no button mashing
- By 10k, learn what you want to specialize in (Jumping,Streaming, All Rounder?)
- By 5k-1k learn a mod
dung eater
find something you are bad at and get good at it, repeat

you need to know what is the proper way to do it and how you are doing it wrong atm to do this

try to do it properly and know what goes wrong, try to not let it go wrong next time, repeat

it might be good to not think about stars as overall difficulty (it's pretty much only about the most aim/speed [nothing to do with patterns, mostly jump length and note interval] intensive part in a map), go by what you think is hard/easy, look at small things
vsprite
Stars arnt a perfect measure of difficulty for maps. Play at your limit if you want to improve aim and reading (not ar10 6 star bullshit, this will only teach you how to mash), try to get at least 99% accuracy on maps you can already fc if you want to improve acc.

It all comes down to play more
Draakje45
I usually first try perfecting the easier maps before I head on to the harder maps.
Best thing to do is not worry too much about your scores on the hard maps.
First, try the easier ones. Once you are feeling pretty comfortable with them, my experience is that the harder ones are easier too.
Practicing on hard maps you can't actually finish well will get you stressed. That's not effective.
I guess that sometimes it's easier to make a big step forward again once you move back a small step, right?
Tarzan

- ISetsunaI - wrote:

Here's some goals for new players (imo).

- By 100k, learn how to do triples perfectly (at least for your level)
- By 50k, learn how to stream properly, aka getting to feel the rhythm of each individual beats of stream, no button mashing
- By 10k, learn what you want to specialize in (Jumping,Streaming, All Rounder?)
- By 5k-1k learn a mod
Amen
Endie-
Start practicing right.