forum

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Grimoire of the Rift

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
hunnykilla
I'm surprised there wasn't a thread on ffta2. The osu! community is pumped up for this game right? it comes out tomorrow(maybe sooner).

FFTA2 is the sequel to the gba FFTA2 and is for the Nintendo DS. New stuff in ffta2 are new races like the Seeq and Gria, 500 missions total, new jobs like Chocobo Knight and Yojimbo, your characters can now level up to 99 instead of 50 which=more fun. Sadly, there's no online functionality but you can trade items. The story is not that great and is very similar to ffta for the gba. FFTA2 uses tactics for the battle system. I'm gonna try to buy the game and support square even though most people will pirate it but it is indeed a game worth buying.

http://na.square-enix.com/ffta2/

awp
They're making it more like Tactics than Tactics A? That's interesting.
rtsmarty

awp wrote:

They're making it more like Tactics than Tactics A? That's interesting.
Hardly. :[ It's pretty much exactly the same as FFTA. Menial differences really (new classes, modified law system).

Anyway I'm playing through it now. I played the Japanese version way back when and built my characters up quite high so my main purpose with the English version is finding out what the hell was going on with the story. :/

I'm a little confused why the changed "Engage" to "To Battle" and S Abilities to P Abilities but I think I'll get over it.
awp
Aw shit. Well, I was one of the few who still liked FFTA for what it was (all-moogle party ftw) so I'll definitely check this game out.
Mogsy

awp wrote:

Aw shit. Well, I was one of the few who still liked FFTA for what it was (all-moogle party ftw) so I'll definitely check this game out.
FFTA was actually my favourite game of all time, hah.

I have this game reserved, I just need to...get the other part of the payment down. x3 Seriously, I'm looking forward to this game so much.
Topic Starter
hunnykilla
I broke 2 laws already...and the law only applies to you as so i've heard.
Narziell

Nakao wrote:

I broke 2 laws already...and the law only applies to you as so i've heard.
That rule ends up creating some pretty strange battles.
In one the Judge set things up so that the enemies were the only ones who could use MP. :lol:

On a mostly unrelated note, not being able to miss is a pretty dumb law.
awp
They can arrest you for MISSING?

That is so gay
Duoprism
Actually, the judge system is slightly different from FFTA. No more carding. Instead, your whole party gains a buff of your choice provided you do not break the law allocated to it. You break it, you lose it. If you don't break the law for the whole battle you gain bonus items as a reward.
awp
Oh awesome that sounds much better. I'll have to sink my teeth into it once FOE2 has slowed down a bit.
Topic Starter
hunnykilla
Haha the Auction House is so abusable.
Ivalset
I've been playing this quite a bit over the past few days. Finally got the doublecast rapier out of an auction house, and I've been soloing missions with my red mage/summoner, it's mildly ridiculous.

Or at least it was ridiculous until I got too close to a tonberry and got karma'd for 999.
awp
It takes a little while before the game really picks up by the looks of it. Granted I'm like 3 hours in.
Topic Starter
hunnykilla
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Mogsy
So I just got this game last night and played it for about two hours today.

HOLYCRAPILIKEILIKEILIKE.
Vic
I <3d FFTA so lets see i liek this one too.
Mogsy
Finally playing again after 3 days away from my DS.

I think this game has grabbed the top spot in my list of favourite games ever.
Topic Starter
hunnykilla
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Fraeon
How's the story in this?

I'm planning on getting it.
Mogsy
So far, shit sucks for story, but the gameplay is a welcome change from the system previously.

Time to play even more, I'm still only six hours into this. ):
awp
Ivalset
At least Luso is a badass not terribly childish and his attitude doesn't send me to tears. Though my red mage still leads my party whenever possible for that sweet sweet viera dialect.

mild spoiler that doesn't make sense regardless and not like you care about the story anyway:
Also, the witch of the fens is hot.
awp
Luso kinda seems like a dumb main character, and by dumb I mean totally unrealistic. He immediately accepts whatever situation comes his way, including being warped into a magical world full of monsters and danger, and doesn't seem show any signs of fear or worry. He shifts his focus constantly, and 4 hours into the game he hasn't once even thought about his family (apart from fearing his aunt whipping him or whatever).

Also what the fuck is with Cid basically immediately letting Luso lead his clan? It's like "hey person that's new not just to the clan but to the entire fucking planet, let's give you a couple crash courses okay that's good now I've got shit to do lead my clan for me okay bye"

Wouldn't the other clan members have seniority?

The more I think about it, the more I come to realise that FFTA2 was very poorly written and totally unrealistic, even from a fantasy perspective, but I forgive it because it's a good game anyway.
Ivalset
I always got this sort of vibe that there wasn't much leading done in clans, that it was more of a group of people that just ran around killing shit/solving people's problems for fat wads of cash, unlike FFT where it's about Ramza and his struggles with politics/the church/family/assassins with stop bracelets.

I guess when Luso noticed that the journal fills itself out, and that it's apparently his ticket home, he concentrates on just working in Ivalice while his journal completes itself. The plot sort of throws him into a cage, and he realizes that the only way to get out is to stay in the cage for 70 hours or something. So he decides to make the most of out of it and enjoy his time there. Cid probably thinks he's an interesting character and has taken him under his wing, so I guess he's like an apprentice while the other clan members are just lackeys.

The only reason I'm somewhat defending the ffta2 storyline (and I do agree that the writing is bad) is that later in the game it becomes evident that Luso is overworking himself, to the point where the important fellows in the clan are always telling him to slow down and chillax. I think he wants to go home, badly, but he just doesn't talk about it.

Ugh, why am I analyzing this shit.
Saturos
Analyzing this game's story is at about the same level as analyzing Big Rigs.
Topic Starter
hunnykilla
Yeah the story isnt very good but the gameplays nice.

Also, Cleaning to Ordalia is nearly impossible, if anyone has done this plz give me some tips on how to beat this.On my 3rd try, cleaned up the 4 near the front expecting the missons to end and then i learn that theres 2 more spots at the far end, WTH!!
Ivalset
Topic Starter
hunnykilla
Nocky_old
oh god i haven't posted on here for how long 3 months i believe

I'm about 20 hours in, and 100 quests completed. Shit just got real a few storyline quests ago, though, yeah, I share the sentiment that it isn't the best of stories.

Oh, and gamebreaking tactic: Seeq Trapper + Mirror Items + 99 X-Potions + Ninja Tabi + Move/Speed privelige = Solo'd Red, Blue, Green, Black, and White Mages of Cinquleur at level 18, as well as record-time ass-whoopings.
Surefire status effects from the ability don't hurt either if you don't feel like cheating.
James
SPOILER!!
you will defeat the final boss in the end.
Ivalset
I'd totally do the seeq ranger thing if I didn't hate seeq with a passion, as well as nu mou and moogles (sorry mogs). Bangaa too, but tricksters are pimps so there's one exception.
Saturos

Ivalset wrote:

nu mou
D:

I love my time mage/illusionist. Just broke 230 magick with him earlier today; full screen aoe's for 170+, 280+ on weaknesses. I should make a group of illusionists~
Mogsy

Ivalset wrote:

moogles (sorry mogs)
I'd forgive you but you hate me. D:

Mogs totally needs to get more done today. I've got only 10 hours put into this still (composing/Osu have been keeping me busy, plus my brother stole my DS for awhile).

edort: Happy birthday, Saturos!
Topic Starter
hunnykilla
Haha i need to play this more, too much mgs4 and ff4.

Saturos i need a nu mou like yours, well the stats of your numou. Overall, the weakest race in my team comes down to moogles and the numou. I set my nu mou as an illusionist and its slow so no casting illusions for a while and it has low attack. Moogles are only good for smiling..
Saturos
I suppose my nu mou is pretty broken. Then again, I'm talking about a 60+ nu mou.
Nocky_old
Get Half MP for the Illusionist Nu Mou you have. Actually, scratch that. ALL Nu Mou you use.

That ability guarantees nigh-eternal hard-hitting spell casting. Especially when paired with the MP Channeling clan privilege. Just make sure to level up the Nu Mou as a Black Mage or Time Mage because of the higher magic stat growth.

Moogles are great when you combine Fusilier and Moogle Knight, especially when you have their Ultima ability. Shooting death from half the screen away yea~. In fact, if you don't want to deal with the hassle of chocobos, that and Juggler Smile support are the only really good uses for Moogles.
Saturos
Nocky_old
show more