forum

Low AR, High OD training?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pituophis
I want to improve my reading and accuracy. I know "play more^tm" will do this. I have been playing more and I have improved to a certain degree. Would playing low AR and high OD help at my level? Of course, I wouldn't just be playing lower ar all the time, just something to do for like half an hour or so of my time playing each day.
Endaris
AR8 is not low.
Strive to improve in steps.
That means if you can't handle OD8 at low bpm, the feedback given by OD10 won't be very useful because it will just look like every hit is wrong, especially on more complex maps.
Based on your top plays I don't think you're very secure at complex maps and being able to somewhat acc OD10 on a map like Setting Sail isn't impressive at all.
Play https://osu.ppy.sh/s/290040 for reference (you don't have to edit it, it's already OD10, AR8.5).
Also don't forget to pray to thelewa after finishing the map.
chainpullz
Low AR high OD training has best results after learning how to read AR10.
Topic Starter
Pituophis
*prays to Thelewa*
Got to 2/3 of the map, saw my acc, quit.
Didn't really feel like getting my first ranked D. Got a D I got in DJ Pop's Night of Knights diff I got earlier today. ;_;

So, practice more low bpm OD 8 and some more complex maps?
chainpullz

Pituophis wrote:

*prays to Thelewa*
Got to 2/3 of the map, saw my acc, quit.
Didn't really feel like getting my first ranked D. Got a D I got in DJ Pop's Night of Knights diff I got earlier today. ;_;

So, practice more low bpm OD 8 and some more complex maps?
Practice not sucking at ar9-10 first then worry about powerleveling your reading. You literally aren't ready yet.
7ambda

Retrying less is the reason why one of my friends is better than me.
Topic Starter
Pituophis
Not ready to try to improve my reading and accuracy, or not ready to do the low Ar, high OD thing? I'm not sure what you are saying I'm not ready for. If it's the latter, I'm not going to do it. Are you saying playing low bpm is bad at my level?

F1r3tar, I linked that in my 1st post. The retrying less is something I'm trying to do.
7ambda

Pituophis wrote:

Not ready to try to improve my reading and accuracy, or not ready to do the low Ar, high OD thing? I'm not sure what you are saying I'm not ready for. If it's the latter, I'm not going to do it. Are you saying playing low bpm is bad at my level?

F1r3tar, I linked that in my 1st post. The retrying less is something I'm trying to do.
Eh, I was too lazy to click the link. :V
chainpullz

Pituophis wrote:

I'm saying playing low AR is pointless at your skill level. The only two things that playing lower AR helps with is lowering your UR and increasing your dense reading skills.

Dense reading is mostly only applicable to high bpm (above 200bpm) ar9 maps, ar8 maps, and some of the harder dense ar8+DT maps (since DT doesn't lower density). These tend to be well into the 5*+ range (much higher usually if mapped after decimal AR became a thing). You have a long ways to go before density reading is something to look to improve.

There is also reading speed that is a factor in UR. It doesn't matter how sparse a map is if you can't read fast enough. Things quickly turn into whackamole if you try to read something with a AR that far exceeds your reading speed.

My suggestion is to first work on your ability to read the higher AR at least to the point where you are in the 100-120UR range on everything within your playing ability. At that point practicing ar8 can be that little nudge you need to start consistently breaking under 100UR.

Also, keep in mind:
https://ask.fm/Omgfzor/answers/133008367874
Topic Starter
Pituophis
Thanks for elaborating.
dung eater
you can practice low ar at any time, it's never too early

if it looks confusing, try nromg aware of the rhytm/pattern first, then try to combine it with the song and what you see. you'll be able to read similiar stuff after a while much easier
RaneFire

jaaakb wrote:

you can practice low ar at any time, it's never too early
Ya, but note that this advice was given to a rank #330, not #20k. For the OP, there are other more important things to work on at present.

I will say that it's probably a good idea to play/practice any method you find fun. I don't think it's a healthy approach to gaming enjoyment to disqualify things you might like playing, based on logical reasoning. Have fun first.

At your rank I'd recommend making collections of maps which contain stuff that you find difficult on a technical level, not just speed or AR. Classify them into collections for what they are, and come back to play them occasionally. Eventually complicated patterns will become easier and that'll help your accuracy a lot more simply because you can read stuff easier.
Vuelo Eluko
high star high hp training is better
i like editing 6+ star maps to hp8-8.5 and trying to pass them
most hard maps are way too forgiving
cant improve if constantly just being allowed to pass with 30 misses and a B
Yukito-Jao
lung cancer 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Vuelo Eluko

Yukito-Jao wrote:

lung cancer 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
i swear every necro thread has a post from me in it
KupcaH