forum

[Archived] Mania column lines do not 'split' lanes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kempie
Description
Column lines in osu!mania currently do not affect the placement and size of a column. Instead, they are drawn at the far left side of a column.

Screenshots
Here is what it looks like using the default skin:
SPOILER
Lanes/notes overlap with the column lines.

If it's hard to see, here's the same skin with a column line width of 32:
SPOILER
Overlap clearly visible.

I would expect the column lines to actually split the columns, as the skin.ini article on the wiki mentions in the description of ColourColumnLine. This is what that looks like (taken from Lunatic Rave 2):

SPOILER
Column lines do not overlap with the lanes/notes.

Alternatively, column lines could be centered between lanes. You could get the above result (column lines pushing lanes apart) by increasing the columnspacing property, or keep it like it is now by keeping the columnspacing at 0.

osu! version
Reproducible with any skin I've tried on b20151217.2 on Mac OS X 10.11. Same on my Windows 10 desktop on cutting edge.

I've tried changing the 'ColumnSpacing' in skin.ini, but this does not work. Column lines are drawn inside the lanes, so adding more space between them does not fix this. I currently added a few pixels of transparency in some of my skin's assets it looks like:
It takes a ton of time to get this right, and even then it's slightly off...
Blaizer
I've been trying to think of a way to make ColumnSpacing more useful, and the idea of centering the borders within the column spacing is a good one. Not sure why it's not already done that way.
Topic Starter
Kempie

Blaizer wrote:

I've been trying to think of a way to make ColumnSpacing more useful, and the idea of centering the borders within the column spacing is a good one. Not sure why it's not already done that way.
If it would center the column line while keeping its width in mind, that would be awesome. This would also mean thicker column lines (as seen in the second screenshot) would be centered, even with a column spacing of 0 (so the notes still overlap). I don't think (guessing here) that would break any skins, but it would make thicker column lines look slightly less off.