forum

Ability to deny osu!supporter gifts

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +81
Topic Starter
Jenny
I think we've all been inactive for a month, two, or a few more at least once in the years we spent on osu, so I think this one is pretty self-explanatory.
If somebody wants to gift you supporter, be that because you're a popular streamer, you made a map they enjoy or you're simply just their friend, please let people decide whether they want the transaction/supporter status to go through or not;

that'd help us avoid the nagging feeling of "I/my friend spent money on this, and I'm not even using it fml" in the back of our minds, and generally having the choice on whether or not we want somebody to spend money on us right now, specifically if we're not going to utilize it, is a nice thing.

Just for a more applicable example, I have had multiple people gift me months of osu!supporter throughout the years, specifically post 2012, when I stopped playing actively and started focusing on mapping - it really sucks when you then talk to those people after they PM you about it, just to find out that they're not well-off financially but wanted to do you some good, only to discover that you will never make use of the money.

Specifically as a known personality, events like these stacking up can really make you feel uneasy about how frequently it happens, so yeah, that's my personal background to why this feature request came to be.
Anxient
i would support this with my star, IF I HAD ANY

anyway this would be really good to have. A textbook example would be HappyStick, since the community locked him here with supporter tag till 2020 something.
How about adding a refund if said supporter tag gets rejected?
Tupsu

Anxient wrote:

anyway this would be really good to have. A textbook example would be HappyStick, since the community locked him here with supporter tag till 2020 something.

give the gifter possibility to either refund, regift or add it to their own account.
Asonate

Anxient wrote:

Refund might mess up PaySafeCard purchases tho

Take my stars!
Vuelo Eluko
no this is silly
DaddyCoolVipper

Tupsu wrote:

Anxient wrote:

give the gifter possibility to either refund, regift or add it to their own account.
I like this idea. Making it similar to gifting on Steam.
Topic Starter
Jenny

Asonate wrote:

Anxient wrote:

Refund might mess up PaySafeCard purchases tho

Take my stars!

I guess the notification would need to go through before the card is charged, then?
Alternatively, a refund could restore you X amount of osu! store credit, so that should be able to be worked around.
abraker
I have a feeling peppy would reject this despite this being a proposal to make supporter purchases fair.
Pawsu
This does make sense and is understandable
However, there IS this t/313437 although it may have got denied for a different reason
Rilene
Maybe if the gift is denied or haven't received any reponse (Accept/Deny) in 1 week then return the gift to the gifter?
Topic Starter
Jenny

Rilene wrote:

Maybe if the gift is denied or haven't received any reponse (Accept/Deny) in 1 week then return the gift to the gifter?
Well yeah, that's the idea - either give them back the money, or in case of a one-charge payment i.e. paysafe, charge them only after the gift was accepted/give them store credit/support to gift to someone or take themselves for free as a compensation.
Remyria

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

no this is silly
ok, but it's silly to waste the money of people because of inactivity too

That could be something in forum options like "[ ] Deny supporter gifts" and when it's activated people simply cannot choose you to pay the supporter
Topic Starter
Jenny
So.. I suppose this'll fly under the radar, then.
Bara-
I agree with this
_Shirou
You know what would be even better? The ability to have supporter tags stocked on your account, and enable them or gift them to others when you want to, then if they deny it, it would return to the person's inventory , or something, idk xD That way everyone is happy It's a win-win situation
Idk how to explain it better...
Bauxe
I don't agree with this. It's pretty obvious how active someone is by looking at the profile. If they still want to gift despite that, it's their own choice.
Topic Starter
Jenny

Bauxe wrote:

I don't agree with this. It's pretty obvious how active someone is by looking at the profile. If they still want to gift despite that, it's their own choice.

I'd argue if you actually want to do somebody good, instead of just gratifying yourself by spending money "on someone else in some shape or form that may or may not be of use to them", they should have a say in it aswell.
I don't see how it's a bad thing to let people decide whether they want $4 worth of a virtual tag on a game they barely even log on to or not. There is literally no harm done, except in the worst case, some incredibly mentally unstable person's feelings because "oh no my idol refused my supporter tag :( "
Sey

Bauxe wrote:

Activity or inactivity aside, many people just don't see any benefits in the supporter tag. They should get the option to decline.
I agree with this option to have.
RawtyQueen

_Shirou wrote:

You know what would be even better? The ability to have supporter tags stocked on your account, and enable them or gift them to others when you want to, then if they deny it, it would return to the person's inventory , or something, idk xD That way everyone is happy It's a win-win situation
Idk how to explain it better...
I was about to write the same thing until i saw your comment. I totally agree with this. Everyone should have kind of an "inventory" on their Osu!Profile saying how many "Supporter Tags" the user has stored. From there, he could decide to either gift them to a user or add the support to his own account.
Anyways, I dont think that this will get implemented, but it actually seems to be a good idea for the future. It would be like an add-on to the original "Ability to deny osu!supporter gifts" thingy.

Oh, and i agree with the original post btw, here, have my star.
-ryusakihatsue-
in rare cases osu supporter tag causes your game to lag
apparently. according to a friend of mine

also, i think that some people have to go on hiatus occassionally and would rather NOT have a support tag
Pituophis
sounds good
Topic Starter
Jenny

-ryusakihatsue- wrote:

in rare cases osu supporter tag causes your game to lag
apparently. according to a friend of mine

also, i think that some people have to go on hiatus occassionally and would rather NOT have a support tag

Yeah, for some people it's really odd when osu!direct tries to open songs in-client and they can't go to the website because of shit (mobile) internet, so yeah, I heard about that - actual PC performance concerns I don't see coming up, unless one's PC has incredibly low RAM and all, but still, it might happen for some.

As for people who go on hiatus/play on and off/aren't persistently active: just take Bikko as a prime example - he comes online like once or twice a month, people like him have literally zero use for the service.
Topic Starter
Jenny
Hitoshirenu Shourai
It would indeed be nice to have the ability to reject osu!supporter gifting. It'd be even nicer if it worked like some sort of bundle where you can either claim it or give it to someone else if you don't want it, kinda like how gifts work on Steam. Either way, some folks just don't need it, so people should stop throwing away money at them.
nibs
`
oxtakehim
I do agree with this, because it seems useful. I'll give it a star.

But it kind of seems silly because people are using it mostly
for the benefits instead of supporting osu. :P
Topic Starter
Jenny

- iRaphyz - wrote:

I do agree with this, because it seems useful. I'll give it a star.

But it kind of seems silly because people are using it mostly
for the benefits instead of supporting osu. :P
Yes, and when those benefits are wasted because the person it's gifted to isn't playing/downloading things a lot/is on a break, that's rather sad.
That's the point of the feature request; to make it so those features (and the money) aren't wasted on somebody who won't use it/doesn't want to have supporter.
WingSilent
That's a dumb suggestion imo, you should be happy when somebody or someone gifts you something ! :|
I can't understand theses persons who dislikes gifts from their friends etc.. :c
Topic Starter
Jenny

NekoLumi wrote:

That's a dumb suggestion imo, you should be happy when somebody or someone gifts you something ! :|
I can't understand theses persons who dislikes gifts from their friends etc.. :c

I can't understand people who don't care whether your friend's/admirer's money was literally wasted on you as if thrown into a trash bin.
Neither do I understand people who don't care whether their gifts actually fit or benefit the person who receives them, but only seem to care about the fact that they gave them something of some sort of description without a care on whether they actually want or use it when they could have literally gotten them something that they would actually enjoy and that would actually benefit them in some shape or form.

This is not a one-sided thing. This is both about choice, appreciation and respect.
Nobody is offended if people offer to do them some good, but seeing people literally waste money on you, like Aunt Betsy gifting you a woolen long-sleeve when you are allergic to wool instead of just asking you about it beforehand, that is what sucks.

The satisfaction of giving is a real thing, but giving somebody something they do not enjoy just because you think "I gave them something, now I feel good about myself for a day" isn't helping anyone.
If you want to do people something good, learn to communicate and get to know them first - or, alternatively, give them the chance to get back to you and refund/turn in their gift.

Is the long-sleeve too small? Go back and exchange it for a size that fits you.
Would you rather have gotten the shirt in another colour? Go back with the receipt and swap it out.
Nobody that seriously wants to do you good will be offended at you wanting to have a gift that you want - if it's the wrong material, size, colour etc., you might not even make any use of it in the first place, and what kind of a gift is that?
That's why many shops offer refunds on christmas presents around that time of the year - keep the receipt, and you can exchange it.

A gift does not lose meaning just because the recipient has a say in what it is, or whether they want it in that shape or form or not.
That is why people gift others coupons, or shop discounts, or actually include the receipt when handing over the present - because they want their loved ones to get what they want first and foremost, as opposed to "take what you get, you piece of shit, you should be thankful I even thought of you".
Endaris
If you want to do people something good, learn to communicate and get to know them first.
That's the main problem though. If people were able to communicate this feature request wouldn't exist.
If you think that peppy deserves some money the supporter is not entirely lost even if you don't use its features and I'm sure peppy can make good use of some cash.
The supporter-features are just extra-goodies on top of supporting osu! and I think most people who gift supporter-tags already have one for themselves(for months in preparation) so it doesn't really matter if they gift it to someone else or take it for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand your attitude but the goodies aren't everything related to this.
Topic Starter
Jenny

Endaris wrote:

If you want to do people something good, learn to communicate and get to know them first.
That's the main problem though. If people were able to communicate this feature request wouldn't exist.
If you think that peppy deserves some money the supporter is not entirely lost even if you don't use its features and I'm sure peppy can make good use of some cash.
The supporter-features are just extra-goodies on top of supporting osu! and I think most people who gift supporter-tags already have one for themselves(for months in preparation) so it doesn't really matter if they gift it to someone else or take it for themselves.

That's the reason I made the request: because people don't talk to each other, so if they gift you without asking first, you can deny the gift, or just give it back to them.

I don't think the community will change drastically in this regard anytime soon, so having a refund/deny/relay-type of button would be the most applicable solution for now.

While the goodies might not be "everything", they're still a part that gets wasted, and they're also the reason a lot of people buy supporter tag in the first place, for the ease of ingame download and multiplayer use, so I don't think any harm is had if you can just give it back to the gifter/have them chose someone else.

(..and honestly, I know of enough people repeatedly gifting myself and other friends I have who aren't playing anywhere actively anymore primarily for the features, and it's just annoying to see people have such a poor judgment for how to give back to their content contributors, but that's another topic)
Anxient

NekoLumi wrote:

wasted money. heard of it? thats like buying a laptop for someone even when you know that they're never going to use it.
show more