forum

Ariabl'eyes - Asphodelos

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vrmd
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 11:47:33 PM

Artist: Ariabl'eyes
Title: Asphodelos
Tags: Ariabl'eyes ArsMagna Symphonic Metal M3-36 黎明シンフォニア Reimei Symphonia
BPM: 155
Filesize: 8045kb
Play Time: 05:01
Difficulties Available:
  1. Neko Madness (4.3 stars, 949 notes)
Download: Ariabl'eyes - Asphodelos
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Map version 6.20

Change log (from modding)

- Added better colors to the combos
- Removed many sliders and followed drums more often instead
- Filled several parts that felt kind of empty
- Modified both kiai sections to have more SV, wider jumps, less sliders
- Added some custom hitsounds that fit the song a tiny bit better
- Fixed positioning of a few notes and sliders

Map version 5.00

Change log:

- First fully mapped version
- Changed difficulty name as "Marathon" didn't feel right
- Added kiai time sections
- Fixed offset and re-snapped notes to better places
BladesofSteel
Hello, timing check.

BPM: 155
Offset: 120

Good luck.
Topic Starter
Vrmd
Thank you for the timing help BladesofSteel!
Electoz
Hi, from my modding queue~ I'm noob with 4*+ so I'll go through things very roughly. You can poke me in game if you have any questions.

[General tips]

1. Your map is based too much on vocal. I'll give you an example : here, 01:00:120 (3,4) . You don't have to leave such empty spaces. You can try mapping on the drums. This song has a drum sound so you should follow it. Because leaving and empty spaces like this one, can make the players feel bored. This apply to the first part before the vocal begins too.
  2. Try not to make a 1/4 spacing like this 01:34:571 (1,2,3) for example. I can see what you're following but it's very hard to read for the players. Most mappers do end these sliders at the red tick instead so it would have a 1/2 spacing and it'll become easier to follow the rhythm.
  3. Also, there are many long sliders because your map is based on vocal, try removing them and follow the drums instead.
  4. You should add some hitsounds on your own, using default ones is kinda bland nowadays.
  5. Please change combo colours into sth that fits the background image.
  6. You need to learn how to emphasis in certain parts of the song. Like kiai for example, some people do increase SV on kiai's part, some increase the volume and some even changes their mapping style completely. Try to understand and apply what is the best for you to emphasise in certains part of the song. Feel the song that if a certain part has a higher or lower intensity compared to the previous section in the song.
I think you already have a pretty much work here just to apply all these. So I'll stop here for now, you can call me for a remod or ask me in game if you have any questions.
Good luck~
Topic Starter
Vrmd
Thank you so much for your help Electoz! I feel the map has become a lot more fun to play by applying your tips.
Below my comments in red

Electoz wrote:

[General tips]

1. Your map is based too much on vocal. I'll give you an example : here, 01:00:120 (3,4) . You don't have to leave such empty spaces. You can try mapping on the drums. This song has a drum sound so you should follow it. Because leaving and empty spaces like this one, can make the players feel bored. This apply to the first part before the vocal begins too.

FIXED - I followed the drums a lot more often in the song, removing a lot of sliders and filling empty spaces. I tried to balance this with following the vocals as to give a feel of variety to the map. I hope I reached a decent proportion of both.
  2. Try not to make a 1/4 spacing like this 01:34:571 (1,2,3) for example. I can see what you're following but it's very hard to read for the players. Most mappers do end these sliders at the red tick instead so it would have a 1/2 spacing and it'll become easier to follow the rhythm.

FIXED - I removed most of these sliders and followed the drums instead, and the rest of those I fixed to end in a 1/2 tick.
  3. Also, there are many long sliders because your map is based on vocal, try removing them and follow the drums instead.

FIXED - I removed almost all of the really long sliders, except for one I left for variety and as a sort of climatic point in the second kiai section.
  4. You should add some hitsounds on your own, using default ones is kinda bland nowadays.

FIXED - I left the drumming ones since I couldn't find satisfyingly loud drumming hitsounds like the default ones. I did find a couple of new ones for the soft sampleset that fit the map better.
  5. Please change combo colours into sth that fits the background image.

FIXED
  6. You need to learn how to emphasis in certain parts of the song. Like kiai for example, some people do increase SV on kiai's part, some increase the volume and some even changes their mapping style completely. Try to understand and apply what is the best for you to emphasise in certains part of the song. Feel the song that if a certain part has a higher or lower intensity compared to the previous section in the song.
FIXED - I attempted to do this by adding a bit more of SV, making the hitsounds louder, and adding a bit more difficulty in the jumps in the kiai sections.
Milosky
I liked the song :o

only a small fixes u_u

00:12:410 (7,8) - fix the last two notes in the stream
01:04:184 (1) - i think the slider end sounds better in 01:04:765
01:28:958 (6,7,8,9) - stack correctly
03:00:700 (6) - i think this reverse s. ends at 03:01:184
03:01:474 (7) - and this slider goes here 03:01:281
03:05:152 - (only suggestion) might add a hitcircle
04:02:636 (3) - move this to 04:02:733
04:03:410 (6) - same, move this to 04:03:507
04:27:410 (6) - move this to 04:27:507
04:56:055 (3) - stack correctly

good luck :)
Topic Starter
Vrmd
Thank you for the unexpected mod Milosky! :) Been trying to request NM in various queues without any luck lately. My comments in green

Milosky wrote:

I liked the song :o

=^.^= Glad to hear that!

only a small fixes u_u

00:12:410 (7,8) - fix the last two notes in the stream

FIXED

01:04:184 (1) - i think the slider end sounds better in 01:04:765

Agreed! FIXED

01:28:958 (6,7,8,9) - stack correctly

Oops. FIXED

03:00:700 (6) - i think this reverse s. ends at 03:01:184
03:01:474 (7) - and this slider goes here 03:01:281

That makes a lot of sense. FIXED both

03:05:152 - (only suggestion) might add a hitcircle

Hmmm there is no sound in the music to go with that hitcircle, but I feel it flows a bit better. Going to go with that change :)

04:02:636 (3) - move this to 04:02:733
04:03:410 (6) - same, move this to 04:03:507
04:27:410 (6) - move this to 04:27:507

FIXED all three, and moved the notes in this section to have better spacing.

04:56:055 (3) - stack correctly

Oops. FIXED

good luck :)

Thank you again!
Endaris
Since I failed to catch you in IRC...

Hi there, from my queue.

General
  1. Make your first combo color a bit darker, it is really bright right now and doesn't have a good contrast to the background/hitcirclenumbers. Aside from that I like your colorchoices.
  1. Set a lower AR, this is uncomfortable to read. I would recommend any value between 8 and 8,3. Right now you can see only 1/1 ahead which makes it rather difficult to identify different patterns. I tried 8,5 and it still feels too fast(I can provide math for why it shouldn't be AR9 if you insist)
  1. Consider increasing your Slider Velocity/changing your overall concept for slider velocities. 1,40 makes some sliders outside of the Kiai-Time like 00:16:861 (3) - underwhelmingly slow. This heavily depends on how you want to use sliders in your map but my impression was that you don't want to thwart the player with them.
    In terms of conception you could be more decisive with your SV changes. Right now you only change SV in the Kiai and the difference is pretty big. I think you could consider more sections for SV changes in terms of intensity:
    As base-SV I would recommend 1.60. For Kiai you would use x1.3 to get something very close to your current SV in the Kiai.
    Additionally add x0.75 for the slow sections at 00:00:120 - till 00:09:410 - and 02:56:636 - till 03:02:829 -.
    At the end of each slow section you can gradually increase the SV-multiplier to 1.0 to avoid a sudden jump of SV.
    Oh and also save a backup of your diff before changing the slidervelocity as some of the following things will look weird after changing the SV(some sliderends will have wrong snaps due to the SV increase).
  1. Think of a better difficulty name, I don't think Neko Madness is related to this song in any way.

Gameplayrelated
  1. 00:06:506 (2,3,4) - reduce the spacing, this is a slow part so it shouldn't have big spacings of any kind
  1. 00:12:023 (3) - remove this circle, the stream suggested by the drum starts at 00:12:120 - (also removes the spacing error)
    Merging 00:11:732 (1) - with 00:11:926 (2) - to a slider is a good idea as it gives the player time to prepare for the stream and 00:11:926 (2) - isn't particularly interesting songwise anyway
  1. 00:12:506 (7,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) - The structure of this entire part is pretty meh.
    I think this whole section unnecessarily difficult to play because it is not obvious which parts of the music you're valueing over the others. So what do we have in this part?
    Strings
    Drums
    Some other not so interesting background stuff that isn't really audible.
    That's actually nice and simple with only 2 instruments you have to care about. The most confusing thing is that you're partially using the held notes of the strings to make long sliders and at other places you don't give a damn.
    00:12:506 (7,1) - Here you're basically ignoring the held note and act like you're focusing on the backbeat of the drum(red ticks). That itself is not a problem. Right after you're suddenly going like "OH STRINGS" and map this 00:14:055 (6,1,2,3,4) - just to change your mind again right away with 00:15:603 (5,6,7) - and finally you do 00:16:765 (2,3) - where I can't even imagine what you were subconciously thinking. Slider starting on the blue tick doesn't make any sense here.
    So overall it is pretty hard to orientate within the music, the player doesn't know what to listen for. Aside from the last one none of the individual patterns is bad, they just don't make a good impression when combined.

Both the strings and drums are following very regular rhythmical patterns here you can represent both in the map but you have to think about what is going on for a second to make it work:
    The strings always do a long held sound on the big white tick.
    The drums always make the same sound on white ticks.
    The drums always make the same sound on red ticks.(snare if I'm not wrong)
    Inbetween that the drums make some variations on 1/4 - this is not so interesting as it doesn't come out as much.
    The strings also make some melody inbetween their held sounds. Not always though.
    Simply speaking: Drums are on every red and white tick. That means you can map literally anything on red and white ticks and it won't sound bad.
    The strings are the dominant instrument here and it makes sense to follow it as you have a lot of freedom regarding this. Featuring them makes the most sense.
    As you will 100% map every big white tick you already got a part of one drumsoundtype covered. It would be natural to cover the rest too for consistence.
    Something like this

Probably not the best pattern one could map for this but at least the player knows what's going on here(the bookmark visible is your second bookmark)
    Conceptionally speaking you can analyse any other part of the song just like that.
  1. Your map has a lot of awkward unnatural spacings. Generally speaking, you should try to use Distance Snap for everything that sounds average and lower it for sections/single notes with low intensity and increase it for notes with high intensity. The player feels the song based on the cursor movement he has to do within a certain part.
    In praxis this means:
    00:14:829 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1) - plays totally boring even though it has medium intensity which doesn't make sense, the distance between notes should be higher(even though you're correct that 1,2,3,4,5 should be evenly spaced).
    You're efficiently thwarting the player which feels bad to play when there's no apparent reason why one should go slower in terms of music.
    Another example spot:
    00:48:120 (4,5,6,1,2,3) - Your spacing is 1,5 or slightly above before and then you suddenly go with 0,6x. The music clearly suggests even spacing between these.
    A different mistake you're making here is disregarding active clicks. 00:49:668 - is a big sound(and incidently the downbeat), it has a new vocal, background and pretty much every instrument playing on it. By placing a sliderend on it you're keeping the player from clicking this strong sound. You always want to make such sounds clickable by the player as they are characteristic and keep the song going. There is some really nice explanation on this subject in this thread in case you didn't know it yet:
    t/239778
I'll just stop here cause I'm tired and it's not my bad if you're hard to catch on IRC x)
The stuff above also covers most stuff that is still clearly suboptimal so if you apply it your map could already look significantly better.
Don't get discouraged though, I think you did things right in a lot of spots, it's more about being consistent in what you're doing and having a plan.
Endaris

Vrmd wrote:

Hello Endaris!

I'd like to ask you a couple of questions about the things you pointed out when modding my map ( viewtopic.php?p=4861496#p4861496 )

Endaris wrote:

Set a lower AR, this is uncomfortable to read. I would recommend any value between 8 and 8,3. Right now you can see only 1/1 ahead which makes it rather difficult to identify different patterns. I tried 8,5 and it still feels too fast(I can provide math for why it shouldn't be AR9 if you insist)
I am not sure I understand what you mean with being able to see only 1/1 ahead. My personal impression is that AR9 currently gives the best balance between seeing enough notes ahead to understand what's going to happen and not having too many approaching circles on the screen at the same time as to be confusing, specially in some sections like 02:43:862 (1) or 03:07:281 (1); when I lower the AR to 8, I get more easily confused by the jump 03:08:055 (5,6,7) for example (my brain has trouble deciding if the jump goes right left or left right) while with AR9 it feels more clear I have to actually go right-left.

I am curious as to a mathematical basis for choosing the AR, so if you can elaborate on that it'd be grateful :)

Endaris wrote:

00:12:506 (7,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) - The structure of this entire part is pretty meh.
I think this whole section unnecessarily difficult to play because it is not obvious which parts of the music you're valueing over the others..... (rest of quote omitted for brevity)
I have a dilemma about your explanation about this section, and the whole map in general. I agree on basically everything you mention here: about drums going basically on in the white and red ticks, about strings being the predominant sound in this section, and that it feels natural that following the strings given that the drumming will be covered by the beats that will happen on white and red ticks.

As a matter of fact, the example mapping you placed as a picture in your post looks a lot like how my mapping of that section looked a few versions back. My problem is, if I go that way when mapping, it increases heavily the quantity of long sliders (you added a couple ones in your example), which in turn makes the map feel more boring to play given its difficulty is Insane.

Since I had a lot of those sliders after my initial mapping attempt, I ended up trying to balance between following the drums more and using these long sliders that emphasize strings or vocal sections more sparsely - which is why it has that inconsistent effect that you mention. It seems I can't decide between following the drums and the strings because that's exactly what's happening - I am having a hard time deciding exactly that. If I follow the drums too much I feel a predominant sound is being left out, and if I just follow the strings (or the vocals in other parts of the song) it starts feeling boring and kind of slow paced.

What would you recommend I could do to properly balance these concerns?

Regarding your other modding comments, I agree with them and will work on fixing those.

Thank you again for your all your help!

Sincerely,

Vrmd
Hi, thanks for your detailed reply!
I wish more people shared their concerns about a mod in such an elaborate way.

Okay, so AR will be first.
The things you have to consider when picking an AR are BPM and which intervals between notes are used in your map(and partially how) and which ones are not.
Your map has a speed of 155bpm.
In terms of intervals it uses a lot of 1/2 spacings, some 1/4 and 1/1 spacings and a few 3/2 spacings.
For AR9 the approachtime is 600ms. However a player cannot immediately recognize the circle. As circles fade in(=they're effectively not visible in the very first moment of appearance) it is valid assumption to say that a player needs a tiny part of that 600ms to even recognize it(10-30ms, depends on the player too).

Now 1/1 spacings appear relatively frequently on your map and 1/1 means 387ms difference on the timeline.
On a spot like 01:10:378 (1,2) - this means the following:
You don't see the next circle until you almost finished the slider. For me the circle becomes visible enough for easy recognition at around 01:10:862 - and even quickwitted people won't notice it before 01:10:789 -
This means that the player is basically "afloat" for the majority of that slider because he doesn't know where to go next, there is barely a maximum of 1 object on-screen during that time and when you start moving for the appearing circle you won't know where to move after that - it will become apparent somewhere on the way but it is uncomfortable as stated.
From my point of view it is desirable if the player can read 1 object ahead at any point of time because otherwise the game feels more like reacting to the circles appearing instead of seeing a rhythm developing in front of you and following it through.
Now this was an example for 1/1 spacing but you do have some 3/2 spacings too and these are almost a full 600ms(581ms) apart from each other which causes the ongoing rhythm to reset in a way because the playtime kind of "ends"(as there are no visible objects you could move for) and restarts a splitsecond after. That's a terrible thing to happen.
So that is why you absolutely should use an AR lower than AR9. 8,7 already extends the approachtime to 645ms which already kind of fixes the spots but imo there are good reasons why an even lower AR is better.
(A different argument is that AR doesn't influence the intensity of the song at all)

To go on, almost all of your 1/4 patterns are stacked/have a constant and low spacing, meaning that they don't contribute to the actual density and reading difficulty of the song. In the moment the player identifies them as stacked 1/4 he will treat them as ONE gameobject. . 02:43:862 (1,2,3,4,5) - is about the only real exception and that's also why you should rather change it to have it in a line with the rest of the song.
And by the way identifying 1/4 patterns becomes harder at high AR as a short approach time will make circles appear rather one by one instead of a stack right away(mainreason why many people including me can't play AR10)

I already talked about 3/2. Your map is mainly based on 1/2 and each 1/2 is 193ms apart from each other
That means with AR8.7 you can see the next 3 1/2 spaced circles in the moment you click a circle. Effectively there will be less objects on screen due to sliders reducing that amount.
Now the difference in the amount of objects on screen between 645ms approachtime and 704ms(=AR8.3) approachtime is effectively 0 as the fourth circle will appear 774ms after you clicked the last one.

tl;dr: The average amount of objects on screen is the same for AR8(=750ms), AR8.3(704ms) and AR8.7(645ms) as the important values of increased density are 581ms and 774ms BUT lower AR-values tend to benefits the spots where you use bigger spacings like 3/2 as the relatively difference between seeing the next object 50ms before having to move for it and seeing it 100ms before moving for it is very big and significantly affects the feeling during gameplay. AR8 already feels a bit edgy as the next circle will already appear if you hit a circle late.
That's why AR8.3 would be my preferred choice for the map.

For the other thing:
One reason why the long sliders feel bad is the low SV. I believe that they will be less boring if you increase the SV and the other thing is that you don't have to make them 3/2 like I did in my example, 1/1 is sufficient to give the sound time to reasonate imo.
You can also go for 1.7 or 1.8, would accelerate the sliders even more than my suggested 1.6. As the unpleasant gameplay during the long sliders seems to be mostly caused by a bad SV-choice I would recommend you to try increasing it first and message me again if you're still not happy with the result.
Aside from that you could also force changes of pace through the sections between the long notes, like increasing the spacing on this pattern 00:27:216 (1,2,3,4,5) - and giving it more comfortable angles at the sametime as you would have some designed speedup towards the important sound and then slow down as a relaxing feature once you get there. Giving them a gameplayrelated value by actively manipulating the player's cursorspeed before them(when appropriate) seems to be the most logic choice.

No kd of course, I just wanted to post it here for timestamp-conversion and cause I spent enough time on the post that it's actually worth seeing.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.