forum

Let's talk mapping guides

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Endaris
let's take a break here

uh, okay.

So recently in the feature request subforum we noticed that the resources regarding mapping are kind of split in different place, partially outdated and generally not of the quality that would make peppy code the collaborative live mapping thing that we all want to have in our lives.

Based on that(not 100% true) I thought about making some mapping guide series on YT - similar to what ztrot did in his osu!academy videos. Maybe we can get him in on that, who knows.

This thread exists to
  1. 1. Get your feedback to improve the content and the quality of "education"
  2. 2. Finding people who would take things over for different gamemodes(I'm only halfcompetent for std and nothing else)
  3. 3. Collect ideas for new content
  4. 4. Translations?
So my main-idea was to structure the mapping process into 4 main things everything revolves around:

Technique: How to use the editor most efficiently
This is probably the thing where I have to learn the most as I didn't spend a lot of time in editor yet compared to many other people. There are tons of shortcuts that can speed up mapping by quite a lot. Having security in technique allows the mapper to focus on other stuff and possibly look at the greater context of the song instead of spending a couple of minutes of properly arranging three notes.
Along with this I'd also include some very basic music theory(what is bpm\measure\downbeat\1/2\pattern\...?) as people often use these very basic terms of music theory in their mods to describe their impression efficiently.
I don't know what osu!next will do to the editor though so we gotta see how this develops.

Rhythm: How to map songs in a generic way that makes them feel satisfying to play
Now this sounds a bit wishy-washy wow at the existence of this word in english and that has to do with the next point I want to make. It essentially boils down to teach the audience how to map in a way that suffices the following point of RC:
notes are generally following a recognizable rhythm (such as the lyrics or drums) which is comprehensible by a player
including active and passive hitsounding in a very basic way. But even when you suffice this part the map can still feel kind of underwhelming. The next steps from there onwards would be what I would already call

Design: How to make your map fit the song perfectly even better
This shall include - who would have thought - everything that requires the mapper to individually decide on settings like AR/CS/SV/DS that influence the visual design but also the gameplay design. Therefore this should also include the basic scheming of a song as explained very well in the first part of Tasha's Taiko Mapping Guide and as a result general use of patterns and hitsounds for further mapdesign. I probably have to learn a lot on this one too and it intertwines with rhythm so much, it's not even funny. However I want to make this differentiation to show people that the gimmicky maps that some famous mappers get ranked suffice ranking criteria and are mainly a result of carefully planned design choices that play out well(or not) opposed to random shit.

Ambiente: How to make your map a memorable experience
This would include a sensible selection of background, combo colors, metadata, possibly a skin and storyboard. none likes videos
I don't have a clue about this. I used to deem this as not really essential but I guess I've just seen too few maps doing it right opposed to a lot of mediocre performances as it can enhance your map by a lot without reducing playability by the slightest.

If you think there's anything that isn't covered by these 4 main points or if there's any other structure that seems more appropriate please tell me.

My plan would be to start out with music theory for dummies(I already wrote something like a script that I'll post here tomorrow) to define the most important terms before starting with anything else and then slowly build up stone by stone going from rhythm to different design choices with some videos on editor-usage inbetween.
I'm not entirely sure about the correct order in terms of approaching the topics altogether but I think timing along with the mysteries of the timeline is a good start as that is what every map starts with.
Topic Starter
Endaris
Placeholder xO
Structure is a good thing at times.
I hope this gets big enough for me to need this post.

State of the Art:
14.01.16 Did the first test recording today, mostly to check sound quality, omg, way to go. At least I had a good estimation of how long the vid would get.
peppy
The current mapping resources (wiki) are still pretty lacking. Would also be great to get more youtube videos. ztrot made a good start on osu! academy, but there's still much left to explore.
Topic Starter
Endaris
Agreed.

Now here's the script for the first video a wrote. Reading through it, it looks a bit like putting the cart before the horse but it's not a particularly easy topic.

preparation
Videoguide on Timing:

BPM and measure as an abstract idea to orientate within music:

example: we will rock you

understanding silence as a sound, comparing the pattern with and without sound

identifying the recurring pattern

giving numbers for simplicity

Identify the big white tick as start of the pattern

differentiating between 3/4, 4/4 and other measures

talking about staying in-time

giving examples how it sounds like shit if I don't keep the speed

speaking about computermusic, studiomusic and livemusic

speaking about the T-method: first idea of what the bpm could be, offset almost always wrong, comparing security in hitting on time:
videocomparison of hiterror-bars

tutorial:
look for the first steady beat

reduce the tempo and try to find the perfect offset by placing a timing section via ctrl+p(delete the initial one via the timing panel)
once you found it, listen to the metronome to see whether it starts to hit late or early and raise or lower the bpm accordingly:
using round numbers due to the background of computer/studio-music

metronome aligning with the music -> allows a structured approach

Missing: What is beats per minute, explanation of red ticks and blue ticks, possibly 1/3, 1/6
Trusting instruments over singers, Offset-Resets

actual script
Hello and welcome to the first part of my mapping tutorial.
Today I want to go over some very basic music theory along with timing as this is the first step you have to take when mapping and I see many people struggling with it.
If I'm doing everything right and you're paying attention you'll hopefully learn from this video what a measure is, what the different colors of ticks in the editor mean, which kind of songs are suited for mapping, why timing works and how you can time songs by yourself.
We will start with an example you hopefully know. By Queen, We will rock you:
4x We will rock you pattern: low low high silence
So this is a very known pattern and it consists of 3 different sounds:
A low sound, a high sound and silence.
And understanding silence as an active part of the music is important to understand the structure of the song as it sounds entirely different if I skip that silence:
counterexample: low low high low low high low low high low low high
Now as you can hear this is a reoccuring pattern, I could play this for hours and the basic pattern is just this:
(slow and speaking while playing) low low high silence
The time between each of these sounds is the same and if we want to measure the pattern we give each of these sounds a number and call them BEATS. Instead of saying low low high silence we count
ONE TWO THREE FOUR and fast ONETWOTHREEFOUR
And this is the basic concept of a measure:
4 BEATS of equal length setting the underlying structure of the song being called four-four-time. Four because of four notes and the second four is based on a convention related to writing down notes but it doesn't matter for osu as you just have to count how many BEATS the reoccuring pattern has.
In the editor these are represented as white ticks and to give you an orientation where the structure starts and where it ends the white tick representing the ONE is bigger than the other ones and also referred to as the so called DOWNBEAT.
And this is kept even when Freddy Mercury suddenly starts to sing over this in a completely different rhythmic pattern:
Buddy you're a boy make a big noise
Playin' in the street gonna be a big man some day
You got mud on yo' face
You big disgrace
Kickin' your can all over the place
Singin'

We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you

A repeating underlying structure can also contain a different amount of notes, for example if playing a waltz the underlying structure might be
high low low high low low
which one would refer to as three-four-time as the reoccuring pattern is 3 beats long.
Measures different from three-four-time and four-four-time are relatively rare, the only other possible measures for osu! are five-four-, six-four- and seven-four-time.
You might see different measures in musicsheets like two-two- or six-eight-time but these can be written relative to four too: two-two can also be counted as four-four and six-eight as three-four.

The next thing I want to talk about is something I already took granted when talking about measure and that is the steadyness of the rhythm.
If I randomly change the speed at which I play my basic pattern it sounds terrible and for most music you can assume that the time between each beat is always the same which brings me to the next topic:
Kinds of music that are suited or unsuited for timing.
There are generally three kinds of music relevant for timing:
Music like vocaloids, techno, 8-bit and similar stuff is generated by a computer and therefore is perfect in timing. This kind of music is completely steady in timing and if it ever changes you can assume it as 100% planned. Due to the nature of this music you can assume round bpm-values for every timing-section of such songs even if there may be rare exceptions. I call this computermusic.
Next is music recorded by professional musicians in a studio. These usually use metronomes for orientation and end up holding a constant bpm with possibly planned bpm-changes that aren't random either. While this kind of music is less perfect in time compared to computermusic it is still very consistent and doesn't require more than one or very few timing section in the majority of cases. I call this studiomusic.
The last thing is livemusic and by nature this usually involves inconsistencies in timing. While the musicians will hold to an average speed very well, some sounds will noticeably deviate from this average speed making this very unpleasant to time. This doesn't mean that these songs are unmappable but you should be aware that timing such a song takes a lot of time which may or may not be worth it and also involves some special treatment for longer sliders later on.

Now let's get into the actual timing process.

When opening up the editor it will tell you to use T to tap to the beat while the song is playing and I want to show you why this won't give you the correct timing in the majority of cases.
The first thing is that people - and especially newer players - are inconsistent upon tapping to the beat. I will play a short example of the hiterrorbars here from myself playing the same song at different skilllevels or mostly accuracylevels.
As you can see I was very inconsistent previously and even though I got a lot better I'm still not a metronome.
However the "Tap to the beat"-method is still very effective to get a good idea of what the bpm could be even if it won't be on point. Based on my experience the final bpm is almost always within +-5bpm of the bpm you got by tapping.
To increase the accuracy of the bpm, tap during the section of the song you are most familiar with.

The first thing to do after using the "Tap to the beat"-method is finding the correct offset.
To do that you have to identify where the first steady beat is. Once you found that lower the replayspeed to 50 or even 25% in the bottom right.
Now scroll as close to the first beat as possible, look at the bottom left to identify the point of time you are at, open up the Timing Panel via pressing F6 and edit the Offset to the point of time your cursor is at. Listen whether it is early or late compared to the beat and adjust the offset accordingly, listen over it again et cetera until the metronome tick and the beat play at the exact same time.

Next step is adjusting the bpm.
Usually you can hear whether the bpm is wrong or not within the first 10s after the timing section. If the metronome is late, increase the bpm, if the metronome is early, decrease the bpm, listen over it again, rinse and repeat until the bpm is perfect. Due to the assumptions made earlier you should try round numbers first but don't be shy to try decimals if round numbers don't fit.

Once you got the offset, the bpm and the measure right you're set up for a structured approach at the beatmap.

Now a short summary:
A measure is an artificial structure used to have an easier time orientating within a song. Most of the time it is determined by the drum and it consists of a set number of beats that depends on the song, commonly 4 or 3. A Beat can be represented by silence. Beats are represented in the editor by white ticks on the top timeline and first beat of a measure is bigger than the other ones and also called the DOWNBEAT.
BPM stands for BEATS PER MINUTE and is a measure for the speed of the song. It is constant for most songs that are recorded under technical surveillance and for most songs in osu!.
The Offset marks the starting point of the first steady beat also called STANZA.
Correct Offset and BPM combined will make all your notes play at the perfect time.

I believe there's a lot of room for improvement regarding this script so I'd be happy if you could give me some feedback for it.
I have access to a Cajon I'd use for the drumming part, using a famous drumpattern that is 100% on-beat seemed like a good idea for starters but maybe there is a better approach.
I'd probably make some signs to hold into the camera and stuff, idk.
Topic Starter
Endaris
I don't have the impression that anyone cares about this so far but I moved to the osu!slack now.
Anyone interested in contributing can message me here or there but once there's more than 1 person aside from me I'd like to use slack to ensure simplicity in communication.
I'm currently planning on an overlapping structure for the whole thing but as none cares I don't have anything to share right now.
Topic Starter
Endaris
So after the overwhelming resonance I got from this up to now none at all I figured by myself that I was overcomplicating things and should go with one piece at a time.

So my final plan turned out to be this:

1. Promotion Video: I will explain the structure of the series and how people can still help me even if they missed my planning phase(=everyone). I will also encourage everyone to try and experiment a bit outside of this guide and inbetween the videos as it is kind of difficult to use all the information I plan to give when it is received in one go. I'll try to keep each video below 10min.
    These lines are only there to make the points easier to read.
  2. Mapping Vocabulary: I will go over basic terms of rhythm theory and I will try to keep my explanations in a way that every 10 year old can understand them. I'll also squeeze in some common abbreviations(SVDSNC) and osu! specific terms as fit. This is the base for efficient communication.
    really
  3. Timing: Now Charles' video is actually pretty good but I want to be comprehensive and take some examples for mono-bpm that are non-obvious to time for starters and I want to show some things you can use for orientation on such songs.
    I will also use this video to repeat and apply some of the earlier learned vocabulary in a practical context and introduce the first editor shortcuts relevant for timing(ctrl+p, ctrl+z, ctrl+y, F6).

At the end of this I'll encourage the viewer to go to the compose mode and try to place some circles following a single part of the song to get a feeling for the different snaps explained in the vocabulary video to develop a feeling how certain rhythmical figures translate into the editor.
    don't you trust me ? :(
  4. Mapping Philosophy: I will ask and discuss some philosophical questions about mapping here: What is a beatmap? Why different difficulties? What is the purpose of a beatmap? Such stuff. Sounding like some esoteric bullshit I think this will be my most important video as the attitude people use when they start their map is the biggest factor in the actual result.
    I will also talk about the approach to learn mapping and why easier difficulties are better for it.
  5. Editor Shortcuts: Now that the we're getting close to actual mapping these are very handy. I want to go over the most important shortcuts here which in my opinion are covered by
    1. ctrl+z, ctrl+y basic functions
    2. ctrl+c, ctrl+x, ctrl+v basic functions, communication through timestamps
    3. space for play and pause, mousewheel to scroll through the timeline
    4. ctrl+b, ctrl+arrows, ctrl+shift+b for bookmarks
    5. 1, 2, 3, 4 for gameplayelements, leftclick for placement, rightclick for removing notes or ending a slider
    6. ctrl+click for additional slideranchor
    7. Q for new combos
    8. Alt and Shift as hold functions for DS and Grid Snap combined with the scrollwheel for quick adjustments of DS
    9. ctrl+s for saving

There WILL be a second video on Editor Shortcuts so please don't tell me that you're missing certain shortcuts here, I value the above ones more than the ones still missing.
  6. Structuring the song: This involves identifying reoccuring parts, setting a Kiai and selecting sensible parameters for a difficulty before mapping it. Very helpful to give a map a defined shape.
    Seemingly not
  7. Rhythmbased mapping and patterns: I will try to lead through the steps that took me several weeks within a few minutes. This will happen in the context of easier difficulties, mostly sub 3* as that's where the topic of the following video doesn't have a noticeable influence on the beat placement yet.
    I'll probably have two videos on this topic, one where I go over theory mostly and one with an additional example as it takes a bit to arrive in the brain and goes naturally - my experience at least.
    well then
  8. Editor Shortcuts #2: This one will go over the shortcuts you missed above, slider to stream conversion and the stuff to make your map somewhat good looking.
    this was the last one, fool!
  9. Movement-based mapping and transmission of feelings through forcing a certain cursor movement on the player(Insane+Extra gameplay elements): This will feature basic jump patterns, when to use them and how to design them in a sensible way. This will of course also involve the choice of the relation between SV and DS as a heavily influencing design choice at the start of the map and the proper usage of slider leniency. And the work with frequent SV-changes as one step further.
    This one will take more than one video.
I don't feel confident enough to make something about hitsounding yet but this is a lot of work ahead so once I get there I might have collected enough experience.
While none is probably interested anyway, I could also do a guide on handling variable bpm on mapsets with lower difficulties as this requires some special treatment with varying complications. If you need information on this you can also just ask me casually I guess.

I want to have my first few scripts in a final state before recording the first video so I can shoot out videos at a somewhat frequent rate once I started so it will still take some weeks before you see me on YT.

One thing I could still need some real help with would be proofreading of my final scripts as my english is not the best and I'm frequently doing some odd grammar mistakes afaik that don't need to appear in the finished videos.
Rilene
im just curious but ok
Topic Starter
Endaris
Go away with your silly aesthetic queue please.
This series is supposed to be about making good maps that are reasonable and enjoyable to play. Sliderarts and "move this circle 2 pixels to the right" don't have place in this as they don't affect the map on one of the layers that actually matter for that purpose.
Plus 5min weren't long enough for you to read the post carefully enough as it seems.

Your opinion about this is probably different but feel free to do your own guide about it.
Yauxo
Im sorry to crash in all the threads that youre posting right now, but aesthetics are a big thing and shouldnt be disregarded at all. Having ugly as shit overlapping slidercombos that "play good" arent always optimal and can easily changed to look, and still play good or even better.
Topic Starter
Endaris
The question is, did you read the post?

Editor Shortcuts #2: This one will go over the shortcuts you missed above, slider to stream conversion and the stuff to make your map somewhat good looking.
I don't disregard visuals.
I just had a salty reaction due to the posting attitude that was demanding me to do something instead of being collaborative or even helpful.

If you're not interested in providing content for the mapping community yourself, just don't post here, thanks.
I don't need people to tell me what to do, I need people who do something too.
Ovoui
It's good idea, good luck :)
Bara-
I can write some guides if you want, for aesthetics,
But I agree with Yauxo, they are quite important, would SapphireGhost's, Gero's, Krisom's or my maps be good if they weren't polished and really aesthetically appealing? Okay, most likely still a bit, but their quality improves a lot when being 100% polished
blitZee
Technique: How to use the editor most efficiently
This bugs me a little bit, since I'm more of a mania player than standard player. The thing is, the built in editor is kind of...meh. It's really hard to read, editing takes so much longer than it should, and gimmicks take too much effort, even while doing simple things. The best solution so far is to use DDream editor when doing non-gimmick stuff, and Stepmania as an additional editor when adding gimmicks to a timely stepped file. The raindrop converter does a great job converting things. The thing about the built-in editor is that it has technical limits that are workable around in a slightly hack-y way (think zero stack with all the notepad mingling), plus it only deals with times up to a thousandth of a second, which is not accurate enough. If you want to do mapping guides for all the modes, there might be issues with mania and it's current editor.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to use. The majority of ranked maps are made using the editor. What I'm saying is that the editor is not on par with what is out there. So you'll have to decide whether you want to introduce the players to these editors.

Aside from that, good luck! This is a great idea and should help improve the ever growing repository of maps ^^ If you need any help related to mania (mostly 4K though), lemme know. I'd be glad to help.
Topic Starter
Endaris
This is for standard only so far @blitZee, apparently you didn't read through the opening post carefully enough. I don't have any clue about mania not even as a player therefore it would be kind of stupid if I tried to make a guide for mapping it.

@Baraatje: I would be interested indeed. As already mentioned I don't disregard visuals as it drags a map down a lot if they're completely absent but for me they are a layer that is automatically applied during mapping in a basic form(that's what my Editor Basics #2 should be about) and potentially upgraded once everything else is good as appropriate handling of the rhythm is more important than a visually appealing pattern that doesn't quite nail the rhythm. They serve the gameplay and are more like a bonus.
My skills in this area are rather basic due to my shallow interest in it so go ahead please.
blitZee
2. Finding people who would take things over for different gamemodes(I'm only halfcompetent for std and nothing else)
I did read it carefully. However, I implied that the following point applied to everything written in the thread (as in, you'll eventually teach these same things across the different game modes). Excuse me for the misunderstanding then.
Topic Starter
Endaris
Well that can only happen as far as I collect experience, knowledge and expertise in that gamemode and that is very unlikely to happen for both mania and CtB and will probably take years for Taiko.