A PSA about "play more"

posted
Total Posts
show more
Ameth Rianno
tbh this thread is akwardly enough
vsprite
tl;dr
At least quote someone else saying play more. Then you're adding to someone else's lame post and emphasizing it instead of creating your own, and you still get an increase post count from it.
play more
play more

am i doing it right?
CXu

Originality wrote:

CXu wrote:

Rather, OP would get more out of playing the game rather than posting in the forums about playing the game.
I hate to compare a simple game like osu! to a sport, but the comparison works well. You can learn to swim just fine on your own, but having a coach to guide you along the way, relate to you, and give you advice on how to improve speeds up the process substantially. And you can't make the argument that "everyone has their own way of playing osu". Everyone may have their own way of holding their pen, or their mouse, but in the end, we're all clicking circles, and there's a typical skill progression that players go through, just like in a sport. MOST players are better off starting with low AR and then moving up compared to spamming HR when they first start playing. While this may seems obvious to all of us, it's not obvious to newbies, which is why instead of posting "play more", people should look into why the OP is posting in a forum.
Sure, I'll help someone who has at least put in minimal effort into actually trying to improve by themselves. When there are "how to improve" threads stickied, and the fact that osu! is such a simple game to begin with, asking "how do I get better at clicking circles????" most of the time shows that you haven't actually tried thinking much about the issue yourself or made an effort into finding those very easy to find threads.

If you're not willing to put in the effort to find these things out, why would I want to spend my time when I could spend that on other things? You don't seem like a very motivated player, if at one "roadblock" you instantly stop thinking about it yourself. Chances are you won't get very far until you actually start thinking for yourself anyway, so might as well begin now than being guided somewhere in the beginning.

Also I'm using you in a general sense, not directing it at anyone in particular.
Topic Starter
Originality
All of what you said is completely valid.

But if you're going to take the time to go and post in a thread about helping someone to improve, if you're just posting play more, doesn't that make you equally as lazy as the OP? You become the bigger person, and rather helpful by posting something along the lines of "OP, this has already been stated in 50 bazillion other threads, here's a link to a guide I know of 'inserts link here'." You can be as sassy or as nice saying that as you want. (sassy is way more fun)

Or you could just ignore the threads of people that are absolutely ignorant of other resources. Which I may or may not have done in the past.... :o

vsprite wrote:

play more

am i doing it right?
Lool, that's perfect. xD
Pituophis

Endaris wrote:

play more

Originality wrote:

raise your post count
chainpullz

CXu wrote:

Chances are you won't get very far until you actually start thinking for yourself anyway, so might as well begin now than being guided somewhere in the beginning.
Unless you choose to go to college and major in computer science in which case "not very far" is a $70k/yr starting salary which some people would only dream of. And people wonder why their software breaks all the time...
7ambda

Originality wrote:

(how has someone not made an image yet...)
ZenithPhantasm made one many months ago.

Yolshka

Originality wrote:

you can't drop a decent number of ranks after playing for a few hours, then you're doing something wrong.
What ...really? PP all day everyday? Maybe I should spend my

Originality wrote:

50 trillion plays

elsewhere.

I don't usually post play more so this is my chance :
play more
deletemyaccount
Okay, since you wrote a long response I won't "meme" you with play more.

The thing that people fail to recognise is that all this information about how to improve is already out there. There is literally a sticky about how to improve alongside myriad previous threads which address virtually every single question about improvement whether this be streaming etc.

You see, the people who actually aren't looking for a shortcut find this information for themselves when they are new; they search for it and apply it to their own devices/circumstances. The rest are just lazy people looking for a quick way to get ranks, and will consequently receive lazy answers. Just as people in this thread have previously stated, why would people bother helping someone who is already putting minimal effort into improving?

Now, why do people say "play more"? Because it is what everyone else has done and IS the only way someone will improve. Sure you can argue that there are intricacies to how and what kinds of maps you play, but that's common sense, isn't it. (there's already so much info out there about this).

Remember, people will always hear want they want to hear.
Yuudachi-kun

Endaris wrote:

play more
catch the beat
Bauxe
op fuck off and play more your post is boring
KanoSet
if ppl spent 5 sec to type in google "how to get better at osu" billions of these posts won't exsit in the first place cuz it's hard to find the sticky posts
there isn't much to help someone with.. download tons of maps, play more. if you hit a wall; read the stickies, download more maps, play more and enjoy the game pls

Khelly wrote:

Endaris wrote:

play more
catch the beat
-Makishima S-
Tl;DR pls, too big wall of text

also

Play moe.
Topic Starter
Originality
Kanoset, Philantropist, & more...

Originality wrote:

All of what you said is completely valid.

But if you're going to take the time to go and post in a thread about helping someone to improve, if you're just posting play more, doesn't that make you equally as lazy as the OP? You become the bigger person, and rather helpful by posting something along the lines of "OP, this has already been stated in 50 bazillion other threads, here's a link to a guide I know of 'inserts link here'."

Philantropist wrote:

Just as people in this thread have previously stated, why would people bother helping someone who is already putting minimal effort into improving?
Exactly -- put your valid venting about ignorant people posting in GnR into the ignorant people's threads. But if you're going to take the time to drop into said ignorant person's thread and post "play more", wouldn't it better if you told them they were being ignorant and lazy? Or, even better, just direct them towards a helpful thread.

Bauxe wrote:

op fuck off and play more your post is boring

Bauxe wrote:

I didn't read your post but I came by to say play more.
(seriously?)

PRIME example of people being rude and wasting both their time, and mine.

KanoSet wrote:

enjoy the game pls
Mahogany
Play moe
abraker
Post less
uzzi

abraker wrote:

Post less
Truth
XiMerx
Pretty much sums up the situation of our osu community here.
Rori Vidi Veni
Play-Doh
Yolshka

XiMerx wrote:

Pretty much sums up the situation of our osu community here.
Yes

I wanted to open a thread because I can't improve but I pussied out because I was scared of the "playmore" terror.
I couldn't handle the situation so I killed myself.
-sev
+1 post count

play more
Flanster
Post less.