forum

Osu!mouse?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Type2human
I do not know if this has been posted as an idea somewhere here or anywhere else but I couldn't find anything about it so here it is.

While there are many tablet players that exist in this community, I believe there are still significant number of mouse players, whether it be mouse and keyboard or mouse only, or mouse and whatever they choose. The point is, that there are a lot of mouse players out there and it'd be awesome to have an osu!mouse.

There are couple of advantages and disadvantages to this that I can think of, and correct me and whip me if I'm wrong and/or if there are more.

With it being a mouse, it is virtually universal. If I have it, I will use it primarily for osu, but I can most definitely use it for other things.
If it is made to be very basic, (something like basic dell mouse that you get with any desktop purchase) while it can be cheap to manufacture and make, it does limit the usage to easy-hard level of playing and basic computing.
If it is made to be high end, users can even use it for different games/applications other than osu, and this allows for more advanced gameplay with the availability of DPI changes and whatnot. Of course, with it comes high price tag.
If it is somewhere in the middle, well, you get some and you lose some. That's how it works, right?
I can see that this can be very difficult thing to make it happen, but I believe this can be quite useful in more ways than one. I will definitely get one :p

Let me know what you guys think about this! (And also if I'm posting this in the right place)

P.s. if this by any chance is a project already thought of, rejected, or in process, let me know so I can delete this and take a whip
Underforest
No need

I think that with the normal mouse is OK :)
Topic Starter
Type2human

Underforest wrote:

No need

I think that with the normal mouse is OK :)
Yes, it is but there are people who could have gotten other tablets but chose to get osu!tablet instead. I think that this is a thing that can happen with mouse as well.
Endaris
There's no incentive for an osu!mouse though.
As you already said, a tablet is a "specialized" device for osu!, a mouse isn't.
At the same time it's not as easy to provide usability as mice have a lot more parameters that matter compared to pens:
Shape actually matters A LOT and a high-end mouseplayer wouldn't want to play with a mouse that has mediocre tracking performance anyway which makes an osu!mouse kind of pointless.
Topic Starter
Type2human

Endaris wrote:

There's no incentive for an osu!mouse though.
As you already said, a tablet is a "specialized" device for osu!, a mouse isn't.
At the same time it's not as easy to provide usability as mice have a lot more parameters that matter compared to pens:
Shape actually matters A LOT and a high-end mouseplayer wouldn't want to play with a mouse that has mediocre tracking performance anyway which makes an osu!mouse kind of pointless.
Then I don't see why osu!mouse can't be specialized for osu
and if you compare to high-end tablet users, they don't use osu!tablet anyways. They have spent much more money to get the better one
They won't have to make a real fancy one, just one that's good for osu!

and yes, while I agree that there are a lot of parameters, I don't think that's something that is impossible to overcome.
Endaris
It is :^)
The thing about the osu!tablet in comparison to Wacom products is mainly the smaller area. The actual product used in the osu!tablet is the Huion 420, a tablet that is also relatively popular among osu!players in general. And most importantly, both tablets have no difference in their tracking performance as they both use absolute tracking at a similar polling rate. The only downside of the Huion is that the maximum area is noticeably smaller but that is no immediate disadvantage.
For mouse the disadvantages are much more real, depending on the kind of sensor you use you will also want to have a specific surface for your mousepad to reduce noise error and as already mentioned, the grip differences are a lot bigger here.
After all, there's no incentive for anyone to buy an osu!mouse when:
a) everyone got at least some mouse in the first place - unlike a tablet and every mouse is good enough for hard diffs.
b) other mice are better when you decide to get a good one for osu!
NaTha
just no
The Gambler
Teach yourself how to do custom mouse artwork like spray painting and vinyl work, and offer your services. I'd say that's a more reasonable approach to the osu! mouse than having a mouse built for osu.

Better yet, model your mouse on Solidworks/Fusion 360 first and let's see what you come up with.
Topic Starter
Type2human
Wow, I'm getting whipped so much, I'm gonna become a whipped cream

(bad pun aside)

The Gambler wrote:

Teach yourself how to do custom mouse artwork like spray painting and vinyl work, and offer your services. I'd say that's a more reasonable approach to the osu! mouse than having a mouse built for osu.

Better yet, model your mouse on Solidworks/Fusion 360 first and let's see what you come up with.
I will probably try something of the sort. Although I don't even know what solidworks/fusion 360 (I'm guessing it's a CAD program of some sort?) is but I think I will try making/getting an osu designed mouse for myself, and see where it goes. If people like the design and want it for themselves, then I will offer it to them.

I really only started this because I wanted one and I was wondering if other people wanted it as well. I guess they're ok with what they have.
Thank you guys for your input!
Remyria
that will never happen (though you can put stickers on your mouse if you wish).

and the "but there is a osu!tablet, why no osu!mouse"...the answer is the "why does osu!tablet exist", the osu tablet was created to be cheaper than usual tablet and run on osu easily without installing shit during an hour to make it work. A correct tablet usually approaches the 100$...but a cheap mouse usually is pretty good
FrzR
There are a lot of gaming mice with good tracking sensors already that is fairly cheaper than the osu! tablet like the Logitech G100S for around $20 US on amazon.
Sea_Food
Well there is that one osu keyboard thing which must be one of the stupidest inventions in the world. Everyone already has a keyboard, but I guess some people buy that thing anyway. Maybe the mouse should have some kind of gimmick aswell.
Endaris
Keypads have at least the advantage of being easy to transport and a good branded full mech is also kinda expensive. I also know a couple of people playing with their laptop keyboards+USB-plugged aim device who have already worn out half of their scissor-switches so it can make some sense at least.
Fact is, every tracking method requires a corresponding mousepad and no mouse has perfect tracking which means that there will always be a better mouse for osu!.
Remyria

Sea_Food wrote:

Well there is that one osu keyboard thing which must be one of the stupidest inventions in the world. Everyone already has a keyboard, but I guess some people buy that thing anyway. Maybe the mouse should have some kind of gimmick aswell.
You need to have a reason to buy this instead of a full mech, can be the space, within other reasons
NeVMiku

Sea_Food wrote:

(Possible) Reasons for osu!keyboard:

Price.
Space.
Size.
Customization level for price paid.
Easy to set up.
Keys with LED lighting.
Etc.
Sea_Food
Like i said, everyone already has a keyboard.

>inb4 muh mech
_Shirou
They could make one, but there's no reason since the tablet works better for osu, If you just started playing osu! You ALREADY HAVE a mouse (lol)
the reason they make osu! tablet is because tablets are expensive and they have extra features that are kinda useless for osu! They made a really basic, cheap tablet you can start with. I'm a mouse player my self, but I know that tablets work better for osu! so there's no reason for them to make a mouse. And even if they made one, it would be the same thing as having a high dpi fps mouse, but with higher price (probably)

EDIT: Unlike Tablets, mice differ more from each other, so if they made AN osu! mouse it would be not comfortable for everybody, for example : I play with a big mouse (I have big hands) others might be comfy with a small mouse, or a different shape one...