forum

Storyboarding Via Scripting for Beginners

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Doomsday
Because of how some people still get confused by the pretty clear scripting tutorials on here, I thought I'd make a video tutorial going over the absolute bare minimum, how the 4 main SBE transformations work in scripting, to help out those who still have absolutely no clue about how they work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ1YLDs-bZg

Yeah, I'm not the best speaker around, but hopefully It'll help out some people. :)
Lilac
Nice.

Though, if you want people to know the number of milliseconds. Using the time where the timeline is near the bottom gets harder if you pass 1 minute. If that does happen, I'd recommend that you look at the top right of the screen.

From there, you can tell the number of milliseconds you are currently into the song. It's also handy because where ever your mouse is, it can also tell you the x and y values of where the mouse is on the SB field, useful for the Move function.

Also, it's great that you reminded people to save the .osb after saving the map.

To find your Radians for Rotation
Radians = pi/180 x Degrees

Great tutorial, Doomy.
Topic Starter
Doomsday
Ah. I never actually noticed that before. I've been used to using the timer at the bottom left. I'll keep that one in mind.
LuigiHann
I believe that if you are in the Design tab and you hit ctrl-C while nothing is selected, the current millisecond value will be copied to your clipboard
Derekku
dat accent <3

Protip 1: A circle is 2pi radians, which is roughly 6.283 rad.
Protip 2: Instead of saving the map, exiting to the song select menu, saving the .osb, and then reopening the map, you can just save the .osb and then hit ctrl-L to revert to the last saved state (which would be the updated .osb).

Although the tutorial didn't cover everything, it was a nice basic introduction to storyboarding by scripting. More importantly, though, it will help many of the visual learners that use it. One can write pages of explanation on a subject, but having a visual aid like a video can sometimes make all the difference in the world. Nice job.

LuigiHann wrote:

I believe that if you are in the Design tab and you hit ctrl-C while nothing is selected, the current millisecond value will be copied to your clipboard
That's absolutely correct. It's so useful/helpful.
Lilac

LuigiHann wrote:

ALL THAT TIME IN GENSOU.

WASTED.

WHY DID NO-ONE TELL ME THIS EARLIER!?!? D:

I'll go cry myself to sleep now.
m980
So that wasn't common knowledge?
Topic Starter
Doomsday
I didn't know that either, so I guess not
Zekira
It wasn't, apparently.
K2J
Are you kidding me?

That would've been really nice to know. Is there a way to copy coords, as well?
LuigiHann

K2J wrote:

Are you kidding me?

That would've been really nice to know. Is there a way to copy coords, as well?
I don't believe so, no
Shohei Ohtani
So this guide was hella helpful when I actually did storyboarding

So I'ma revive this and see what happens and all.