forum

[web] Guides/How-To's Subforum

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
abraker
There are several players who made excellent guides either on how to get better at the game, get osu! working on a system, player analysis, etc. and those tend to end up all over the forums. You would find some in the developement subforum, help, gameplay and rankings, or general discussion. Sure it makes sense to put a gameplay guide in G&R or how to get osu! working under linux in Developement, but those tend to get lost along the other posts. I constantly need to search up and remember in what subforum some guides are posted.

My suggestion: make a subforum dedicated for players making guides, articles, how-to'd, etc. which would act as a place of reference on the forums. But hey, isn't that what the wiki is for? How I see the wiki is as finilized content. Posting the guides in the forums would expose them to more players willing to talk about how to improve the postings.
Rilene
Wow, yes.
Bara-
I remember a request for the help forum, only "typable" by GMTs and QATs, and translations submittable, and comments are disabled.
Will look for it later
t/231555?hilit=guides
Topic Starter
abraker

Baraatje123 wrote:

I remember a request for the help forum, only "typable" by GMTs and QATs, and translations submittable, and comments are disabled.
Will look for it later
t/231555?hilit=guides
That look like a dead thread. Is there more to what Nathanael wrote?
Pawsu
There's also this: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Help_Center
there's a bunch of reliable sources-- but if someone wanted to spend their time implementing this it would be cool.
Looks like a dead project on Nath's thread. That really sucks.
Kayla
The problem with this is judging the legitimacy of guides and trying to keep the subforum relatively netural and informed.
Endaris
Looks wasted for me.
There are like 4 types of reasonable tutorials you can make:
gameplay tutorials
mapping tutorials
troubleshooting tutorials
tutorial tutorials(or: how to make a good tutorial, kek)

Gameplay tutorials are in Gameplay and Rankings. A lot of what people can mention there is redundant which is why it's nonsense to have a huge variety of guides for gameplay. A small handful of good guides as sticky in GnR suffices.
Mapping tutorials are divided between mapping techniques(dead forum) and General Questions-Subforum within the WIP-forum+stuff in wiki. This is where I see the biggest problem as the information is spread to many different places and Wiki+General Questions are both not immediately visible as highly valuable sources: GQ as a subsubforum and Wiki cause well it's a wiki right?
As for technical guides it was already mentioned in Nath's thread that guides may become outdated relatively fast and I can tell from experience that regardless of all guides, people WILL ask the same questions again, be it due to having problems with understanding a troubleshooting guide, being unwilling to search or whatever. The stickies we got in Help are kind of helpful already for anyone who would actually bother searching.
Tutorial tutorials...well, barely interesting as the vast majority of people doesn't write guides.

I don't see any sense in this but I'd appreciate the content related to mapping receiving some better organisation.
Topic Starter
abraker

Kayla wrote:

The problem with this is judging the legitimacy of guides and trying to keep the subforum relatively netural and informed.
Anyone can make guides even now, so what's your point with legitimacy? You will have to explain the "netural and informed" part.You seem to be conserned with guides with irrelevant information, but that's ni different than what we have now.

Endaris wrote:

Looks wasted for me.
There are like 4 types of reasonable tutorials you can make:
gameplay tutorials
mapping tutorials
troubleshooting tutorials
tutorial tutorials(or: how to make a good tutorial, kek)
My and Full Tablet's articles involving player and map analysis would fall under this category too you know, so it's not only all about tutorials.

Endaris wrote:

As for technical guides it was already mentioned in Nath's thread that guides may become outdated relatively fast and I can tell from experience that regardless of all guides, people WILL ask the same questions again, be it due to having problems with understanding a troubleshooting guide, being unwilling to search or whatever.
Less time searching for the other user willing to help since it will be centralized, but I do agree that the guides will get outdated as time goes on. That's a given.

Endaris wrote:

Gameplay tutorials are in Gameplay and Rankings. A lot of what people can mention there is redundant which is why it's nonsense to have a huge variety of guides for gameplay.
How to get better and "play more" should be contained in G&R. I don't want stupid leaking into this subforum.
Endaris
These articles are worthless as a guide/how-to stated by you and would belong into a different subforum anyway.

+it's more sensible to split forums into playing vs mapping vs technical issues vs shittalk instead of valuable vs trash
Kayla
pls guide for how to follow streams
<just play the game>
but guyyyyyyyyyyyyyys
Bara-
The General Questions subforum is full with guides (that are stickied)
I don't see why it can't be in certain other subforums
Deimos
Topic Starter
abraker

Baraatje123 wrote:

Deimos wrote:

use wiki?
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/List_of_Guides
Research articles barely have any odds to be stickied or added to the wiki due to untested theory
Endaris

abraker wrote:

Research articles barely have any odds to be stickied or added to the wiki due to untested theory
For a good reason.
+they aren't research up to now just empty theory with (probably) a lot of mistakes and no gain.
Stefan

Baraatje123 wrote:

p/4719517

At all, it's quite pointless to have the first page(s) full with stickied threads because people either will feel lost in this bunch of complicated written and unrelated topics and guides or they just don't read them at all.

Indeed, most of the guides we have (and being important) are outdated, I noticed this issue in the General Question forum (I started to work there to update some stuff, with help of other staff members) and actually I wouldn't mind to also work with the community that they also update (dead) guides and make them at the latest version (or something we can call as "recent").

Deimos wrote:

use wiki?

https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/List_of_Guides
It works well to guide someone reading this article but people rarely find out there is an own article which lists all helpful guides, people nowadays are used to use the forum.

A good alternative we have is this example. It only requires people making the topics for the specific important topics to be created, making the organization part can be done by the moderators. :P
Bara-
Oh yeah, you're right, most of them are severely outdated >>__>>
Endaris
Tbh I'm carrying myself with the thought to make a series of video guides on mapping cause i got so many ranked maps kappa but I'm still in the process of collecting eligible equipment.
forcing peppy to code collaborative live mapping kek
I think I'll open a thread to discuss the stuff for it relatively soon though.
Topic Starter
abraker

Endaris wrote:

Tbh I'm carrying myself with the thought to make a series of video guides on mapping cause i got so many ranked maps kappa but I'm still in the process of collecting eligible equipment.
forcing peppy to code collaborative live mapping kek
I think I'll open a thread to discuss the stuff for it relatively soon though.
Those vids might be outdated as soon as the editors are revamped with the stuff Flyte teased us. I would wait 'till then, meanwhile you can save up on the equipment.
Kayla
id like to chime in here and say that the only source of mapping tutorials there are are wordy and text based and then awps tutorials which seemed to drop off the planet and also theyre from the year 1871. i personally have stalked mappers' past broadcasts on twitch to see techniques and styles and tricks to speed up mapping and its been a big help (i still cant do anything but mod though)

i would be all for this subforum if it included mapping.
there needs to be more video tutorials or people willing to take on people who wnt to learn etc.

one of these days id like to graduate from a critic to a mapper D; but my maps are too hard or too boring.